"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-05-2008, 09:38 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Thank you all for your positive thoughts. It's a strange world out there!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:49 PM   #32
Everymom

You doing better now Vicky? Just remember to do all the precautionary things that are logical and then go about your business. Be careful, but don't let some nameless perv have power over you. Be a Girl Scout, "Be Prepared". And then...carry a big stick. You go girl!

Old 02-06-2008, 01:05 AM   #33
Head Chef

A 38 caliber police special is a very good deterent. Get a can or two of pepper spray
that stuff really works. some kinds of pepper spray has a color agent that won't wash off
When I lived in a bad neighborhood I had a out side alarm bell mounted in the apex of my roof and when it was rung it would raise the dead for a block around. Keep plenty of flood lights around your property and if you have to get a security company to install panic alarms that you wear around your neck and can push for help in a moments notice
I now live in a very secure senior liveing facility 16 floors up with very tight security but I still keep a loaded 12 gauge shot gun beside my bed in this day and age you could get hit over the head for a dime. Be secure as you can be
Old 02-11-2008, 04:43 PM   #34
Executive Chef

I was wondering KE how things are going for you of late?
Any better, feeling more confident or anything?
Anything changed?
Please keep us abreast of the details if there are any to share.

I guess this is an example of bumping up threads. This though, I wanted to see how things are going and after reading it, I found it was not much new but had fallen to the 4th page.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:12 PM   #35
Master Chef

Like Dave Hutchins I carry Mace pepper spray with me at all times when I'm in Houston. I went online and bought 4 of them and I would suggest that you keep one in your bathroom as well. Mine would disable an elephant, too, and quick to operate--that would give you time to cock your gun and shoot him--at least in Texas you're allowed to shoot someone who is legally invading your property. If no gun then you'd have time to exit your house after swinging your baseball bat. Yeah, be protected and armed and then get back to living---believe me this guy is going to get caught---the police hate guys like this and it's not nice to get the police mad at you!
Old 02-11-2008, 08:38 PM   #36
Master Chef

I have two guns and three kids. They don't mix so the guns are disassembled and locked in the attic. There isn't a bullet in the house.
I have two burglar deterrent systems:

The Beagle: If we are not around to stop it from howling, the elderly neighbors on one side will call the police to ask it be stopped. The dog won't stop the burglar but the elderly neighbors calling the police will.

The Toy Fox Hound: If a burglar broke into the house and saw it barking at him, he would keel over with laughter until the police arrived to take him away.

I know it is a serious situation for you, but thought some humor might make you feel better. Laughter is the best medicine...
Old 02-12-2008, 04:51 AM   #37
Senior Cook

This is a very interesting thread to me. Living in a country with such a high crime rate I often think "I wish I could live in the US or Australia where it's safer" but reading this thread I once again realise that crime affects everyone around the world. We live in a house surrounded by walls and a remote controlled iron gate with 2 dogs (not big dogs but they make enough noise) and an alarm system that's always set when we go to bed. We drive cars that's not likely to be carjacked and I'll always wait until the gate closes before I drive further into my driveway. Been putting it off but will probably be buying a gun one of these days. It's become a way of life but still a bit sad that all of us have to live like this isn't it? I remember as a child we used to play outside until after dark and it was safe. Scary to think what the world will be like in another 20 years time . . .
Old 02-12-2008, 07:02 AM   #38
Sous Chef

I have read your discussions, I think that I am in more safer place than you.

I never afraid to be home alone (if I read horror stories then it is different), our neighbors are really good and very helpful, infact we are like a large family. (it is hard to believe but true)
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 07:10 AM   #39
Master Chef

radhundi, I lived in Mumbai for a year and NEVER felt unsafe from other people---what I felt unsafe about were the the panthers jumping the fence around the hotel where we were living which they had been known to do--several people were killed in surrounding areas and it's only because their territory was being encroached upon and they were hungry