Normally I am never afraid to be home alone...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
...but here recently we have had a rash of break-ins in our area and the appearance of a rapist. Frankly, I'm scared. I've NEVER been afraid to be alone, not even when I was little. I'm afraid to take a shower. I don't like that feeling! I do have a little dog who would bark if she saw anyone at one of our doors. So I guess I will keep my cell phone charged at all times and close to me. :neutral:

I don't think any place is safe anymore. We had a few of these walk up to the door and shoot the person who answers thing going on. I don't answer the door unless I know your coming and even then, I will make extra sure I know who it is. I keep a bat handy at ALL times. I understand the discomfort you are feeling, seems like the crime gets closer and closer to home. The best thing I can tell you is be aware. Always be looking around and listening (not to the point of freaking out or anything, but use your 5 senses!) When I go running at the park, the main reason I don't take headphones with me is so that I can hear and be aware of what is going on around me, of who is coming up behind me. I'm always watching folks and keeping a keen eye on things. Stay safe my friend, and stay aware which I am most certain that you are.

I have to agree, no place is safe and hasen't been for a while.

When I got married I moved into Wifes place in a 'nice' neighborhood. Wife got it in her head she wanted to move and we ended up in a notorious drug neighborhood. Shortly after we moved there was a break in and brutal murder in our old 'nice' neighborhood. Go figure.

Not to say bad things don't happen in this neighborhood, and this area has been .. cleaned up a bit ... ,

Have you thought of arming yourself? I don't mean buying something to wave around, that gets one killed. I mean purchasing a firearm, getting training, a CCP, and going through Combat Training?

And what Sattie said, situational awareness. It would be nice to go through life not paying attention to what's going on around us (not implying this is what your doing). Not paying attention is not a luxury anyone can afford and never really has been.

Thanks you two! I always try to be aware of my surroundings and I will certainly "up" that awareness. I used to have a gun but my ex wouldn't give it to me when I left :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: It might not be a bad idea about the training - thanks.

Elf, dh put one of these on our front door recently. Just an added level of security to keep the front door secure, in addition to the door knob lock and dead bolt (which apparently are easy to pick if you know how). I like it for when there's a knock at the door and I can open it a bit but know it can't be forced open farther.

Listen girl, we lady's do get scared to death when something like this plagues us.
Take your little doggie into the bathroom when you bathe/shower and lock the door. Take your cell phone too.
Put something loud, like a cow bell or something up against the door that an intruder would enter through, that way, it'll at least alert you.
Do you have proper locks on all entrances? Do you have everything pad locked? Do you know your neighbors? If so call them or alert them that you're concerned or having a hard time right now and just make them aware.

We've had a couple of times too that there were things going on in the neighborhood.
About 3 1/2 years ago, just 5 houses up the street on my side of the street too, there was a home invasion robbery. 3 kids there home alone, and 4 *&@($ guys knocked on the door and the kids opened it. I don't answer our front door when any idiot has the nerve to breech my front privacy gate. If you're not invited, don't come through that gate, I swear, I'm getting a sign made.

Now, if I have a concern, I lock the bathroom door when I'm in there.
I bring the dogs in the house. They're huge and even scare me.
Not really, but they do deter people. My husband puts an old cow bell on the front door when I'm not home. Reason is, he's a very deep sleeper while I sleep with one eye open. He's concerned he won't hear if someone comes in the front door or any other door. Our front doors are double paned made of heavy oak but the rest is completely glass. So very see through.

A neighbor man was walking his dog one day while hubby was out doing the yard work. The man asked my husband who those men are that stand in our front patio porch area sometimes at night. They drive a black VW Jetta he told him. He said he comes home late at night/early morning and has seen them a couple of times just standing on our front porch talking. Oh that's great my husband thought. WHO IS IT?

Just be as alert as you can be, keep the dog close and your neighbors close too. If it was me, I'd keep many many lights on at night, and music or the tv on too, until things cleared up. But that's just me........and it wouldn't hurt to alert the police of your concern too. You really can't be too careful, which translates into being smart.

Sorry you're feeling uneasy, Vicky. It's not a good feeling. Fortunately we live in a community that is safer than most. As for securing our house, it's pretty difficult at the moment. All 5 of the exterior doors on the first floor are either full glass or half glass, which would make it easy enough for someone who was determined enough to simply break the glass and invite themselves right in. Although, if worse came to worse, I have a gun I know how to and will use.

One thing I'm always certain to do is to have a phone within arm's reach no matter where I am in the house, usually clipped on my belt or the neck of my t-shirt. In no time I could call 911 and be confident they'd be here quickly. They're only about a block down the street from our house. Remember the courthouse fire? The dispatch office is across the parking lot from the courthouse site.

Hope you can get some piece of mind and feel secure soon. I've got your back.;)

Dunno what kind of dwelling you live in, but...

Make sure your bushes are trimmed to remove hiding places.
Keep a porch light on all night long.
Close your blinds at night.
Panic lights outside are nice. Our neighbor has floodlights on all corners of the house.
Have a peep hole installed in your door. MUCH better than door stops!
A good shock device is not a bad self defense item....
Supposedly alarm signs in the yard are good too.

...but here recently we have had a rash of break-ins in our area and the appearance of a rapist. Frankly, I'm scared. I've NEVER been afraid to be alone, not even when I was little. I'm afraid to take a shower. I don't like that feeling! I do have a little dog who would bark if she saw anyone at one of our doors. So I guess I will keep my cell phone charged at all times and close to me. :neutral:

It's a different world we live in today. Has anyone seen this person or filed a police report? Is there a neighborhood watch in your area? Keep the police depts # in your phone book. I can only surmise, since there has been a rash of breakins in your area, the neighborhood & pd is on the lookout. Take extra precautions - lock your windows (you can drill holes & put pins in) & lock your doors. If you are feeling fearful, keep a light turned on, get a motion detector hooked up to your outdoor lights. I've had some bad experiences, but don't allow them to make me feel fearful. Once you cross over my threshold, baby, you are mine. You may need to get angry instead of being afraid.

ETA: A security alarm system, (& it comes with stickers to place in your windows) is a good deterrant.

Last edited:
Elf,
you've been given some wonderful advice..We live in the country, we had an alarm system installed, we have a shotgun, and my son bought me a cattle prod! We have been lucky here at home, the drug store on the other hand was awful! Protect yourself, to heck with the cost, just stay safe.
kades

Thanks guys! Yes, we have motion detectors, alarm system, husband who is 6'5" :LOL: (but not always home) and the peep hole at my front door IS the front door LOL I will keep outside lights on from now on. PAB - thanks for the link!

Katie E - I will now carry my house phone with me/cell phone in my pocket. I swear, but just talking to you guys helps.

I found out about it on the news so yes, the police have been notified and he has a bad bite mark on his shoulder/arm area. They are asking anyone who knows anyone with a bite mark there to contact the police. DNA has been sent to the SBI office.

*amy* - our windows haven't been opened since "THOSE" painters painted them shut 10 years ago - if "he" gets them opened he will probably run due to my elated screams of joy!!!!! :-p

LEFSE - that is some scary story!!!! I noticed today that the pillows that WERE on my loveseat/rocker on the front porch are now sitting on the coffee table/ice chest - I now find that disturbing!

Grilling Fool - please check your PM's.

There's definitely some good advice here. Taking a shower is always the worst for me--I hear a lot of things that aren't really there. I always bring the phone in with me if I'm alone--partly in case someone were to break in, but also for if I slip and fall, have a heart attack, etc., I would be able to call 911. If you are really concerned, you might even want to ask a friend to come over for awhile so you can take your shower in peace.

:)Barbara

:)Not much to worry about on the ranch.But I keep a Berreta 92 FS close by and a shotgun. No kids living here.The one time I got nervous was when the ranch fired a guy and he displayed all the behavior of going postal and I still think he may show up anytime in the next few years. You can get inexpensive alarms for your doors and windows at Walmart they are as loud as a smoke detector. Put a couple of Beware of Dog signs up. Also if your car has an alarm on it that works from your key chain carry it with you at all times on a chain if you want then if something is going on hit the alarm to your car that should scare anyone away.Keep it around you at all times.

*amy* - our windows haven't been opened since "THOSE" painters painted them shut 10 years ago - if "he" gets them opened he will probably run due to my elated screams of joy!!!!! :-p....

The point is, not to live in fear & take precautions. Unstick & open your windows & breathe. THEN, put pins in your windows & glass sliding doors. DO NOT live in fear. Just call (me) amy :-p I don't want to go there, but when the bf was gone, I slept on the floor in front of my front door waiting for the you know what. I swore I would not live my life that way again. If someone wants into your home badly/desparately enough, there's little else you can do then protect yourself/home & family.

Last edited:
Barbara L - do you think there's a chance of me and Clooney becoming friends? :ohmy::-p

Thanks jp - someone stole my keys a few years ago with my "alarm" pad on it. :(

Last edited:
The point is, not to live in fear & take precautions. Unstick & open your windows & breathe. THEN, put pins in your windows & glass sliding doors. DO NOT live in fear. Just call amy :-p

I WISH I could open my windows - they won't open!!!! :LOL: We tried to unstick a couple and the glass broke out and it's the original glass (92 years old) so we're not going to try to open anymore. I have no sliding doors so that's not an issue. I'm just going to live in precaution - precaution is good. I'm not going to let this get the best of me - it is now something I will have to think about and be aware of.

Thanks you two! I always try to be aware of my surroundings and I will certainly "up" that awareness. I used to have a gun but my ex wouldn't give it to me when I left :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: It might not be a bad idea about the training - thanks.
:)There are some great training programs out there I should take a class myself .Its legal in New Mexico to carry a concealed weapon if you take a special course and get licensed.
We have a sign on front of house DH made out of metal that has a gun outlined on it and it says." We dont dial 911":-p

Can't you program a cell phone to automatically dial 911 with just the push of one button? I think so. I recommend that. I also recommend the Model 36 Smith & Wesson. It's an excellent personal defense weapon for a lady! Small, simple to understand and operate. My wife and daughter own and carry one....With one lying close by... you can enjoy your leisurely bubble bath!

Stay Safe!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom