"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-29-2008, 11:07 PM   #11
Master Chef

I remember growing up watching IV at the drive in theater... awesome stuff! I wondered why they started with IV, they said they felt the first three were to 'dark' for the times.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:44 AM   #12
Senior Cook

It makes me think of a bit from an episode commentary by Matt Groening, who recalled that, as a kid, he thought of the "Convoy" as a really rocking song. When he was later trying to get the rights to use it in that episode, he found it was really pretty stupid.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:20 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSix210 View Post
And to stay on topic, yes. As we look back, or memories sort of cloud or opinion on things. Movies we remember enjoying, we did enjoy. It's jut that now with the Computer aided graphics and CGI and ultra high tech everything in movies, we are spoiled, so the oldies look really reeeeeallly old. We hae the Pixar short films collection and even in the short time Pixar has been making animations, there has been a HUGE improvement in quality. We are spoiled, that's why or memories seem better than the real (or reel thing...couldn't resist) thing. IMHO.
Have you see the trailers for Wall*E yet? Some of that is hard to tell from live-action footage!

My MIL moved back in with us a month ago. She brought some of her movies with her. I know she has a few DVD's, but she literally has hundreds, if not thousands, of VHS tapes. Some are here, most are in storage up in MI. She refuses to let them go. What's worse, she wants to transfer all the video from VHS to DVD. We've been trying to tell her that it's going to cost big-time $$$ for hundreds, if not thousands, of blank DVD-R's, plus the equipment. Not to mention that if she's wanting to copy an honest, store-bought movie, the equipment may not even let her do it. I know some software for burning will recognize a copyright, and refuse the burn it.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:37 PM   #14
Master Chef

this is an interesting thread---the same "nostalgia" can be said of old books...I remember reading boods as a child or as a teen and then rereading them and wondering what in the world attracted me to them like Anya Seton's "Dragonwyk" which i went on alibris and bought for $7 for a hardback. My daughter loved it as it's who I bought it for but I reread it and couldn't believe that I fell in love with it.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:14 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Expat
I have almost the reverse. I have a memory of a book I read as a teen - just some of the story - no title, no author. I am keen to identify the book and reread (maybe I shouldn't) it.

I too much prefer Star Wars IV to VI, but they do seem a bit dated. Harrison Ford looks so young.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:34 PM   #16
Sous Chef

To me, the movies I loved as a kid still appeal to me. If I catch Goonies on cable, even if it's the last 5 minutes, I watch it. Other movies like The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth are great too. Ya it's all puppets, but so what. They're still great, original stories and told with the technology they had at the time. Someone mentioned The Last Unicorn and said it was bad animation... compared to today? Well... ya lol. In 30 years you'll look back at Transformers or The Golden Compass and probably say the same thing.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:47 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman View Post
Harrison Ford looks so young.
Exactly why I like it.

And books, yes. I'm still trying to figure out the title of one I read as a kid about some kids who enter another world through a mirror and find a world of dragons. Sound familiar to anyone?

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:49 PM   #18
Master Chef

Gee, all the stuff I like is getting ripped on here, LOL.

I still love convoy, both the movie and both versions of the songs...

So Pffttttttttt on Mat Groening!!!
Old 03-30-2008, 08:00 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'sgirl View Post
Exactly why I like it.

And books, yes. I'm still trying to figure out the title of one I read as a kid about some kids who enter another world through a mirror and find a world of dragons. Sound familiar to anyone?
Yes, I do remember a book like that, B-girl, but now I'm going nuts trying to remember it, too. Thanks to a lovely beginning of the week!
Old 03-31-2008, 12:54 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

mav, you and me are not gonna see eye to eye on much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B'sgirl View Post
The movie I was disappointed about as an adult was The Last Unicorn. I remember my parents making me leave my friend's house right at the climax. .
the same thing happened to me, but with the movie "bambi". i never got to see the end, but being disney, i'm sure everything worked out ok.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote