Nostalgia ain't what it used to be

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miniman

Executive Chef
Just watched the Silverstreak on tv. Now I remember it to be a cracking great film full of excitement. Not any more.

Is it only my memory or is that when you see most films again they are not what you thought they were.

I have seen some movies since childhood that I like even more as an adult. For instance, many of the Disney movies have more than one level--some parts appeal to young children, some parts to older children, and some parts to adults.

Usually if I liked a movie as a child, I still like it as an adult. Then again, there is "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang." James and I both watched that many times as children. A few years ago we watched it, both anticipating those familiar old feelings as the movie we had loved so much progressed. We both HATED it. Then my daughter started to show it to the kids a couple weeks ago. The kids were too busy playing to care about it, and Nancy realized that she no longer liked it either!

:)Barbara

That movie is about 32 years old. I'm guessing you've changed a lot in that time. You probably don't like a lot of things you liked back then.

Awwww.... I still love Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!!!!

Then again, it is possible I just never grew up....

Me too, just watched it a few weeks ago.

The movie I was disappointed about as an adult was The Last Unicorn. I remember my parents making me leave my friend's house right at the climax. I never got any resolution until high school when I found it at another friend's house. Bad animation, stupid storyline, lame characters. The only exciting part was I learned that the soundtrack was done by America.

Oh, and Return to Witch Mountain... Ok I just love most Disney movies.
DH found a box of VHS tapes with loads of disney movies (thank goodness he doesn't know where the others are hidden). he wants me to sell them on ebay if I have them on DVD already. i looked at him like "touch my movies and die."

We have a spare bedroom in the house that is devoted to disney.

:LOL: they're in a drawer in the craft room. Kinda hard to hide big clunky video tapes...especially when there's like a hundred of them...

And to stay on topic, yes. As we look back, or memories sort of cloud or opinion on things. Movies we remember enjoying, we did enjoy. It's jut that now with the Computer aided graphics and CGI and ultra high tech everything in movies, we are spoiled, so the oldies look really reeeeeallly old. We hae the Pixar short films collection and even in the short time Pixar has been making animations, there has been a HUGE improvement in quality. We are spoiled, that's why or memories seem better than the real (or reel thing...couldn't resist) thing. IMHO. :LOL:

It's jut that now with the Computer aided graphics and CGI and ultra high tech everything in movies, we are spoiled, so the oldies look really reeeeeallly old.

I don't know, I'm still think the Star Wars episodes IV, V, and VI are far superior to the new I, II, and III. :LOL:

I remember growing up watching IV at the drive in theater... awesome stuff! I wondered why they started with IV, they said they felt the first three were to 'dark' for the times.

It makes me think of a bit from an episode commentary by Matt Groening, who recalled that, as a kid, he thought of the "Convoy" as a really rocking song. When he was later trying to get the rights to use it in that episode, he found it was really pretty stupid.

And to stay on topic, yes. As we look back, or memories sort of cloud or opinion on things. Movies we remember enjoying, we did enjoy. It's jut that now with the Computer aided graphics and CGI and ultra high tech everything in movies, we are spoiled, so the oldies look really reeeeeallly old. We hae the Pixar short films collection and even in the short time Pixar has been making animations, there has been a HUGE improvement in quality. We are spoiled, that's why or memories seem better than the real (or reel thing...couldn't resist) thing. IMHO. :LOL:

Have you see the trailers for Wall*E yet? Some of that is hard to tell from live-action footage!

My MIL moved back in with us a month ago. She brought some of her movies with her. I know she has a few DVD's, but she literally has hundreds, if not thousands, of VHS tapes. Some are here, most are in storage up in MI. She refuses to let them go. What's worse, she wants to transfer all the video from VHS to DVD. We've been trying to tell her that it's going to cost big-time $$$ for hundreds, if not thousands, of blank DVD-R's, plus the equipment. Not to mention that if she's wanting to copy an honest, store-bought movie, the equipment may not even let her do it. I know some software for burning will recognize a copyright, and refuse the burn it.

this is an interesting thread---the same "nostalgia" can be said of old books...I remember reading boods as a child or as a teen and then rereading them and wondering what in the world attracted me to them like Anya Seton's "Dragonwyk" which i went on alibris and bought for $7 for a hardback. My daughter loved it as it's who I bought it for but I reread it and couldn't believe that I fell in love with it.

Expat
I have almost the reverse. I have a memory of a book I read as a teen - just some of the story - no title, no author. I am keen to identify the book and reread (maybe I shouldn't) it.

I too much prefer Star Wars IV to VI, but they do seem a bit dated. Harrison Ford looks so young.

To me, the movies I loved as a kid still appeal to me. If I catch Goonies on cable, even if it's the last 5 minutes, I watch it. Other movies like The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth are great too. Ya it's all puppets, but so what. They're still great, original stories and told with the technology they had at the time. Someone mentioned The Last Unicorn and said it was bad animation... compared to today? Well... ya lol. In 30 years you'll look back at Transformers or The Golden Compass and probably say the same thing. :rolleyes:

Harrison Ford looks so young.

Exactly why I like it. :wub:

And books, yes. I'm still trying to figure out the title of one I read as a kid about some kids who enter another world through a mirror and find a world of dragons. Sound familiar to anyone?

Gee, all the stuff I like is getting ripped on here, LOL.

I still love convoy, both the movie and both versions of the songs...

So Pffttttttttt on Mat Groening!!!

Exactly why I like it. :wub:

And books, yes. I'm still trying to figure out the title of one I read as a kid about some kids who enter another world through a mirror and find a world of dragons. Sound familiar to anyone?

Yes, I do remember a book like that, B-girl, but now I'm going nuts trying to remember it, too. Thanks to a lovely beginning of the week!:LOL:

mav, you and me are not gonna see eye to eye on much. :mad:

;)

The movie I was disappointed about as an adult was The Last Unicorn. I remember my parents making me leave my friend's house right at the climax. .

the same thing happened to me, but with the movie "bambi". i never got to see the end, but being disney, i'm sure everything worked out ok. :mellow:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom