Not Unsociable...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had a blast, even though the train was 5 hours late arriving and 3 hours late returning.

Not a catfish fillet, canape, or nugget in sight.

When the DJ started spinning brother #4's Commander Cody CD, nobody was wearing their shoes anymore. By then the groom was wearing his green-and-white Cat in the Hat hat (St. Paddy's day, y'know).

More later. Gotta catch up on the other news and then run out again soon.

Awww Miss Mud, I do hate to hear that you made such a long and arduous jouney, trains late etc. and on top of that no Catfish nuggets, Canapes/Catfish Pate and no Catfish Beignets. I am so sorry. Did ya near starve to death??:LOL: Bless your heart..I know you are glad to be back home.

Next wedding y'all need to let me Cater the thing. I promise all of the above mentioned "goodies" as well as all the fried and boiled okra y'all can eat.
Why I may even be able to talk Miss VeraBlue to joining in...maybe creating a pasta dish based on Catfish Courtbouillion! Now that would be a hit!

Anyway, do tell me about the foods that you enjoyed!

mudbug said:
When the DJ started spinning brother #4's Commander Cody CD, nobody was wearing their shoes anymore. By then the groom was wearing his green-and-white Cat in the Hat hat (St. Paddy's day, y'know).

Gawd, muddy. Can't you guys have any fun? Sounds like a sleeper to me. Way too laid back and boring. But...can't ya tell us more. Details. Names. Places. People. Ya know, stuff.:LOL::LOL:

Stuff and Food Talk for Katie E and Uncle Bob

It was almost as much a reunion as a wedding. Hadn't seen my family all together like this since my parents' 50th anniversary in 2000. Including black sheep brother #2 who showed up looking very healthy, clean and sober, with very nice, pretty new girlfriend. Met nephew I'd never seen who is already walking.

Lovely young bride was resplendent in a strapless white gown, insisting that she was NOT cold when we stepped outside for some 40-degree air.
Young groom in tears as she walked down the aisle to meet him. Both wrote special vows to each other that were verrrry long.

This time my father did not wear out the young girls jitterbugging, although he did dance a bit. After all, the man will be 81 this year.

Because I was wearing my special dress-up torture shoes, I did not dance much. I was afraid I would not be able to get them back on. Also, was dressed for the weather and not for dancing. Hoever, I did manage to appear in the Tina Turner revue as one of the Ikettes during "Proud Mary." Younger and more limber sister took over the lead role.

It was old home week with the "girls" from next door who've been like more sisters for more than..yikes!..40 years. Also visited with an old pal from college - last time I saw her was 20+ years ago - she has two 20+ sons now. Ditto a former friend from my early Chicago days. She started in on telling me what a deal she got on the outfit she was wearing as if we'd just both been shopping the other day.

We've all gotten a little fatter and grayer (OK, OK - a lot, except Joanie, dang her), but otherwise it was as though no time had passed.

Wicked mother of the bride (my sister), wishing for drama, seated us at a table with an old college flame of mine from years ago. He and her husband were roommates back then. We had parted on uncomfortable terms. We had a few awkward snippets of conversation, mostly tried to look elsewhere, but hugged goodbye. It was kind of good to see him again, though. He has a beautiful daughter who was his date.

OK, food. In spite of the dreadful lack of catfish, we survived on antipasta, lovely bowtie pasta with Alfredo, penne with tomato sauce and cheese, and that grand Chicago dish of sausage and peppers. Your basic decent but not especially memorable wedding food. Open bar and two carafes of wine one every table, even on the kids' table (thrill #2 for daughter, thrill #1 being allowed to ride to the church in the long white limo with her cousin the bride).

Rode home with brother #3 and his wife, where we were staying. Upon arrival, we decided it was necessary to stay up until 3:30 a.m. and solve the world's problems. We failed in that, but succeeded in drinking beaucoup wine.

The next day, we had a hurried visit with remaining family members - definitely not long enough, but the train schedule beckoned, and we had to get that rental car all the way back downtown before 5. Slow train ride home, but fortunately the weekend storm that mostly hit parts north of us managed to clean some of the crud off my car while it was parked in the station.

Took all of us a couple of days to get over staying up until 3:30 that morning. I gotta start taking vitamins.

edited to add: almost forgot a memorable sight - all four brothers and several BILs pretending they were in Riverdance and trying to do the "feet of flames." Hope someone got pictures.

Last edited:
Miss Mud

Thanks for the report. It does sound as if it was a "high heeled good time"
Yes in deed! Ya just needed some Makers and you would have took your shoes off. Then you would have shown them a thing or two. Dats a fact!!

Gosh, muddy, sounds like you had a grand time. And I agree with Uncle Bill, a tot or two of Makers would've enhanced the fun.

Aren't you happy your father can kick up his heels and have such a good time? Maybe he was restraining himself so he wouldn't put the young bucks to shame.

Sounds as though someone shelled out some big buck$ for the shindig. The kind of food and drink you've described doesn't come cheap. One of my cousins got married a couple of years ago. The tab was well over $20,000. Sure hope the marriage lasts at least as long as it takes to pay the wedding off.

Would have loved to have seen the "Proud Mary" moment. Bet it was priceless. Does your sister have Tina Turner legs? Tina has a set of gams that anyone would envy.

Glad you had fun. You'll be remembering and talking about it for a long time. Thanks for sharing with us.

Katie, my dad is usually the life of the party wherever he goes. So it was bittersweet to see him slowing down a bit at this shindig. But yes, he likes to have a good time and I think he did last weekend. Even got the microphone to wish the newlyweds all the best (he's like Geraldo when he's got the floor).

I was surprised that my frugal BIL (father of the bride) agreed to the open bar. Perhaps his wife (my financial genius sister) just told him she would take care of all the bills as usual. I know he doesn't know how much it cost for all the wedding party ladies to get their hair and nails done.

Yes, that little sister has the gams, dang her. And the onstage Tina personality. She did great. We did our best to keep up.

{{{{Mudbug}}}} Sorry I missed you, before your departure. Sounds like you (and most of yours) had a Blast. I would love to have seen you in the Tina Turner revue, lol. *Rollin'. Rollin'..... Doo-do-do-do -- do-do-do-do* lol. Got pics? Anyhew, Welcome back Bug. ;)

Back
Top Bottom