"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 09-17-2012, 08:05 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
Not with a ten foot pole

Is there a food that you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, yet if mixed in with some other food, you can't get enough of?

For me there are two. The first is buttermilk. My husband used to take the quart, pour the whole thing in a large glass I had, put about a teaspoon of black pepper in it and drink the whole thing right down. He loved the stuff. I would leave the room until it was all gone. The first time I watched him do that I started to heave.

Then I discovered Hidden Valley dressings. I fell in love. Now my favorite one is the one with Parm cheese. I put it on everything.

The second is sour cream. I even hated buying it for the family. Then I tasted onion dip. Now I put it on baked potatoes, of course onion dip. I could eat that with a spoon all by myself. There are other foods I put it on also. But these two foods alone, I would not touch them .

So what foods do you dislike by themselves?

Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
Executive Chef
Tomatillos, husk cherries, cottage cheese, yogurt, carrots, milk chocolate, canned salmon, canned asparagus, canned corned beef, cilantro.

justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #3
Master Chef
Chicken livers and gizzards. No way will they ever pass my lips alone but mom's stuffing is not the same without them!
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:11 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Green bell peppers, but I only like them in stuff, in tiny pieces. Stuff could be salad or pasta sauce.
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
Can't think of anything like that. How about, I like corn...as long as it's NOT cooked in something else.
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef
Celery. Won't eat it raw whether it's served with wings, with dips or in a salad. No hesitation to use it in recipes as part of a mire poix.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
Traveling Welcome Wagon
I'm the same way about buttermilk. I hate the taste of it by itself and can't drink it, but I love it in things. I love onions raw or cooked, but not raw by themselves. I like bell peppers but not by themselves. I prefer my bell peppers cooked (especially in Spanish rice), but I can eat small amounts of it raw in something like a pasta salad.
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
As far as I can recall, there were two things I didn't like when I was younger: buttermilk and liver (any kind). However, since I have gotten older, I have found that those two items are actually very good. I also find that excessively sweet creations are more and more unpalatable these days. Not sure of the reasons for it.
I used to be a racist, but I don't have much interest in it since Dale Earnhardt got killed.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #9
Certifiable Executive Chef
Site Administrator
Runny egg yolks. I can't stand them in the context of a cooked egg. But in mayo, hollandaise and other sauces and dressings they are yummy (and necessary). Go figure...
Forget love... I'd rather fall in chocolate!
Janet H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #10
Master Chef
Milk. I've never liked milk. Drove Mom crazy. I just would not drink milk. Now, any other form of milk, I love. Cheese. Cream sauces. Ice cream. Sour cream. Buttermilk in dishes. Yogurt. But a glass of milk? Not for me, thank you.

I think it is ironic that my friends' mothers when I was growing up kept telling me I wouldn't grow up to be strong and tall unless I drank my milk. Huh? I was already taller than their daughters by quite a bit (Mom jokes I was two feet tall at birth), and am large boned (not a euphanism for fat, I really am broad shouldered and heavy-boned). Of course, knowing me and little sis wouldn't drink milk without a fuss (and I was not a fussy eater (sis was)), just made sure she "snuck" it in. I still don't even like breakfast cereal. No milk, s'il vous plait!

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote