Not with a ten foot pole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
Is there a food that you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole, yet if mixed in with some other food, you can't get enough of?

For me there are two. The first is buttermilk. My husband used to take the quart, pour the whole thing in a large glass I had, put about a teaspoon of black pepper in it and drink the whole thing right down. He loved the stuff. I would leave the room until it was all gone. The first time I watched him do that I started to heave.

Then I discovered Hidden Valley dressings. I fell in love. Now my favorite one is the one with Parm cheese. I put it on everything.

The second is sour cream. I even hated buying it for the family. Then I tasted onion dip. Now I put it on baked potatoes, of course onion dip. I could eat that with a spoon all by myself. There are other foods I put it on also. But these two foods alone, I would not touch them .

So what foods do you dislike by themselves? :angel:

Chicken livers and gizzards. No way will they ever pass my lips alone but mom's stuffing is not the same without them!

Can't think of anything like that. How about, I like corn...as long as it's NOT cooked in something else.

Celery. Won't eat it raw whether it's served with wings, with dips or in a salad. No hesitation to use it in recipes as part of a mire poix.

I'm the same way about buttermilk. I hate the taste of it by itself and can't drink it, but I love it in things. I love onions raw or cooked, but not raw by themselves. I like bell peppers but not by themselves. I prefer my bell peppers cooked (especially in Spanish rice), but I can eat small amounts of it raw in something like a pasta salad.

As far as I can recall, there were two things I didn't like when I was younger: buttermilk and liver (any kind). However, since I have gotten older, I have found that those two items are actually very good. I also find that excessively sweet creations are more and more unpalatable these days. Not sure of the reasons for it.

Runny egg yolks. I can't stand them in the context of a cooked egg. But in mayo, hollandaise and other sauces and dressings they are yummy (and necessary). Go figure...

Milk. I've never liked milk. Drove Mom crazy. I just would not drink milk. Now, any other form of milk, I love. Cheese. Cream sauces. Ice cream. Sour cream. Buttermilk in dishes. Yogurt. But a glass of milk? Not for me, thank you.

I think it is ironic that my friends' mothers when I was growing up kept telling me I wouldn't grow up to be strong and tall unless I drank my milk. Huh? I was already taller than their daughters by quite a bit (Mom jokes I was two feet tall at birth), and am large boned (not a euphanism for fat, I really am broad shouldered and heavy-boned). Of course, knowing me and little sis wouldn't drink milk without a fuss (and I was not a fussy eater (sis was)), just made sure she "snuck" it in. I still don't even like breakfast cereal. No milk, s'il vous plait!

As far as I can recall, there were two things I didn't like when I was younger: buttermilk and liver (any kind). However, since I have gotten older, I have found that those two items are actually very good. I also find that excessively sweet creations are more and more unpalatable these days. Not sure of the reasons for it.

As a diabetic, I too find that sweets are unpalatable. Just one bite is all I can stand. :angel:

Count me in with the buttermilk. I use it in my cornbread but wouldn't touch it by itself.

Count me in with the buttermilk. I use it in my cornbread but wouldn't touch it by itself.

After soakinig chicken overnight in buttermilk, it makes Southern Fried Chicken taste like heaven. It has to be the acid in the milk that is doing such a great job. :angel:

After soakinig chicken overnight in buttermilk, it makes Southern Fried Chicken taste like heaven. It has to be the acid in the milk that is doing such a great job. :angel:

I use it in fried chicken too but you will never catch me drinking it! :blink::sick:

justplainbill said:
Tomatillos, husk cherries, cottage cheese, yogurt, carrots, milk chocolate, canned salmon, canned asparagus, canned corned beef, cilantro.

This must be a typo! You had chocolate in there!!! :D

Figs !!! :sick:

Yuck on their own .. but put them in a Fig Newton and I am all over those things ! :yum:

Figs !!! :sick:

Yuck on their own .. but put them in a Fig Newton and I am all over those things ! :yum:

:LOL::LOL: I hated fig newtons with a passion when I was growing up. That tasteless dry pastry, gummy sweet filling just didn't do it for me.

About 15 years ago a friend introduced me to figs on their own and I was skeptical but tried them. Love at first bite! I eat them many ways...but not in a Newton! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom