"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-15-2012, 05:22 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
There is a turn out and public area, on the Going To The Sun Road in Glacier National Park, that is the most awe-inspiring sight I had ever seen. I had tears in my eyes seeing it. I need to go back and find it again.
I took a train trip to the Seattle area following HS graduation to visit some friends. The train went through Glacier National Park, and it was incredible! I had never seen such beautiful waterfalls! (actually, prior to that trip, I had never before seen waterfalls!)

Old 04-15-2012, 05:34 PM   #12
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I took a train trip to the Seattle area following HS graduation to visit some friends. The train went through Glacier National Park, and it was incredible! I had never seen such beautiful waterfalls! (actually, prior to that trip, I had never before seen waterfalls!)
Oh, ever since I was little I loved waterfalls. I remember being about 5ish and going under the Niagara Falls! We all wore gumboots and these crazy head to toe yellow rain suits! The there is this little place in the heart of the Okanagan region of BC called Hardy Falls. You have to know where it is and walk in along salmon "ladders" and once you get there all you hear is the water which is very high and loud. It is not pretty, just rocks around it, but I find it so peaceful and go back to it in my mind as part of my pain management. I haven't been for about 15 years but I could describe every inch of it!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #13
Executive Chef

There are 2 that stick out for me. One was last summer we were driving home from an event on a summer evening. It was about 10pm and as we drove down this long unlit country road suddenly on both sides of the road it was like diamonds sparkling. There were so many lightning bugs that the glimmer was truly inspiring.

The other was the day my husband opened his eyes and looked at me after a long and serious surgery .. my favorite moment of all time !
Old 04-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

For me not being much of a travel bug, seeing my grandchildren being born was awe inspiring. My adventures in learning was introduced to me by my dad, He would make sure to stop at all the markers along the way to our camping cabin in the Sierra's so we could learn about the things we had been told about or read about in books. Things like Kit Carson, the Donner party, I still to this day love those markers and will have dh stop so I can get out and read them. I love seeing snow as it comes floating down especially as the sun starts to set. I love the sounds little birds like hummers make as they breeze by you to get water from the hose you are holding that click click they make as the announce this is my feeder go away to others hummers. Watching the flowers on a cactus we had slowly open it was so quick if you were to wlk to one end of the patio you'd miss it's closing. seeing winter close and spring begin knowing that plants,trees,and all things were shaking off the sleep of winter and awakening to springs nudgings.Ahhh life it's a wonderful thing.
kades
Old 04-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

I am a New Englander through and through. We had a Nor'easter coming in. I have always lived within five minutes of the Atlantic Ocean. Like most NE folks, we headed out in the storm down to the water front. We started out near the break wall. As the storm got stronger and stronger, we kept having to back up. The waves were getting bigger and bigger as they crashed over the first wall and then the second that was supposed to protect the homes along the water front. By then we were back in the car and slowly backing up the hill.

There is nothing like the fury of Mother Nature at her worst. It was in the middle of winter. The temp was down around 10F. That Nor'easter did so much damage that year. Homes along the water front were damaged beyond repair. Some people lost their lives. To the day I die, I will always see the fury of those waves crashing over the walls. It was high tide and that made the waves even higher than they would be normally during a storm.

When the movie "The Perfect Storm" came out, I could relate to it so easily. First because my second husband had been a commercial fisherman and also because of seeing that storm first hand. It takes your breath away.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I love watching the ocean.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I love watching the ocean.
When your life is determined by the sea, you HAVE to go to it when there is a storm. I like to blame it on the fact that I am a Pisces. So how do I explain my four kids who also run there during a storm? They were born under entirely different signs. Or my neighbors that I meet there watching with me and my kids. Oddly enough, a thought just came to me. All my relatives who have died have all had their ashes scattered at sea. Including both husbands. Son #1 finally gave his father's ashes to the Coast Guard to take out to sea. Being drawn to the sea is almost like you are under a spell. Hard to explain.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #18
Senior Cook

I've never lived on or closer than six hours to a beach, but as a child I spent every weekend at a beach. My parents being divorced, mom having visitation on week
Old 04-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #19
Executive Chef

The frutta di mare I've eaten in Pisa and the arrosto di cinghiale roasted on a spit near Firenze.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When your life is determined by the sea, you HAVE to go to it when there is a storm. I like to blame it on the fact that I am a Pisces. So how do I explain my four kids who also run there during a storm? They were born under entirely different signs. Or my neighbors that I meet there watching with me and my kids. Oddly enough, a thought just came to me. All my relatives who have died have all had their ashes scattered at sea. Including both husbands. Son #1 finally gave his father's ashes to the Coast Guard to take out to sea. Being drawn to the sea is almost like you are under a spell. Hard to explain.
Kinda like me standing around and watching the mountains change during the day. Love watching the change of light and weather around them.