"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #31
Half Baked

The trees turning color in Maine are pretty spectacuar. Tha California coast is amazing in most places. Hawaii as seen from a zodiac is right up there too.

As far as food goes the 2 most memorable meals were at hotels of all places. We dined at the Chateau Frantenac in Quebec and had a 3 hour dining experience that was superb incuding the best service ever.

The other was at the Ritz Carlton in Half Moon Bay. My cousin was one of the chefs there and they created a special menu for us while the sommolier paired wines to fit. Dinner for 5 was over 1k and we got comped to boot.

I guess I should mention another meal prepared by him at a steak house we visited him at. We had Wagyu steaks and tried every side dish they made plus every dessert. We only paid for the wine and stakes that time. We couldn't eat again for 24 hours after that one.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:06 AM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
4meandthem, How long ago was the meal at the Chateau Frontenac? We want to get away for a few days after tax season, and that's votes in favour of Quebec City.

One of our spectacular dining experiences was at an Auberge du Gouverneur in, I believe Shawinigan, QC or at least near there. DH thought the menu sounded awfully chichi, but was amazed at how good it all was.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #33
Half Baked

It was over 10 years ago but I doubt much has changed in the way of their service.
We also enjoyed a chain restraunt "Le coin britton" or something similar. They specialized in crepes and they were wonderful. We ate there a few times. We stayed in the old city and walked everywhere. I really enjoyed watching the old city come to life every morning. Our hotel served fresh croissants and the best coffee every morning in the basement.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #34
Executive Chef

4 Meandthem,

Quebec is quite breathtakingly beautiful ... Had been several years ago ... We have a Montreal French native, Pastry Chef & Caterer friend there. Lovely ...

Thanks for posting.
Margi.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
What is FOB?
"Fresh Off the Boat," meaning someone who is a new immigrant to this country. Most of the time I've heard it used, it was by people of the same ethnic background, whose family immigrated earlier. In other words, the people who'd moved here, then later helped bring family and friends over, would refer to the newbies as "FOB". I heard it many times since, in many cultural groups. As in, you'll have to excuse his/her accent, FOB; or a cultural thing the newbie doesn't understand (or inversely, doesn't "get" why I don't understand).
Old 04-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
"Fresh Off the Boat," meaning someone who is a new immigrant to this country. Most of the time I've heard it used, it was by people of the same ethnic background, whose family immigrated earlier. In other words, the people who'd moved here, then later helped bring family and friends over, would refer to the newbies as "FOB". I heard it many times since, in many cultural groups. As in, you'll have to excuse his/her accent, FOB; or a cultural thing the newbie doesn't understand (or inversely, doesn't "get" why I don't understand).
I went to university with a Chinese girl who had been born in China. She was very Americanized when I met her. I asked her about her very American sounding first name and she said, oh, you want to know my FOB name.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
4 Meandthem,

Quebec is quite breathtakingly beautiful ... Had been several years ago ... We have a Montreal French native, Pastry Chef & Caterer friend there. Lovely ...

Thanks for posting.
Margi.
There are few places I have a real yen to return to, and old Quebec city is one. I was SO pleased with myself. Quebec provence is my cultural home, and all I can speak is school-girl French with a bad lisp ( can't roll "r" s correctly). We stayed at a B&B within the old walls that used to be owned by the Ursuline girls' school nearby, and was run by the nuns as a place for parents to stay when visiting their boarding school daughters. The couple who then owned it were wonderful; one spoke some English, the other none.

One of the funniest eating experience, I can actually remember the name of the place (don't think it exists now) was a brew pub called Lennix down on the docks. I thought we'd laugh ourselves silly. Asked for a menu. "Le Hot Dog." That's all. Choice of mustards. Foot longs steamed, then wriggled into a tunnel in a thin bagette. Amid much laughter from the working men there for lunch. I couldn't understand their ribald comments, but certainly got the gist of watching the (cute) waitresses inserting les hot-dogs into these baguettes.

We were there in the fall, so ate a lot of game. We did have drinks at the Frontenac.

I was quite pleased with myself, having never actually used what French I know (French is my father's first language, Mom is bilingual, albeit with my lisp, and all my childhood girlfriends' mothers were French) and only slipped up once. The phrase I asked one of my French linguist friends for was "S'il vous plait, parle plus lentement." Worked a charm. I also learned to say, "Speak to me as if I was a five year old child." My trying hard and blundering actually charmed people into helping me. I overheard a couple of ugly American women in line in front of me saying, "Oh, just ignore them, they really DO speak English, they're being snotty." Huh? Memere never spoke English in her life, and when raising her kids didn't allow them to speak English in the home. Hey, folks, Canada is NOT USA NORTH.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Francophones (French speakers) are usually very helpful, if you try to speak French.

I once went to Quebec City with friend of mine, from Chicago, who went to university in Montreal for a few years. He heard everyone speaking French and said, "Wow man, what a lot of foreigners." I nearly died laughing.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #39
Half Baked

We went to Quebec with my BIL who speaks french. I don't know if we would have had such a good time without him and his translating.

We rented a car when we were done in Quebec and drove to Maine. I couldn't even read the road signs so he had to sit up front when I drove which was very little.Had a blast going through the country. Seemed like every town had a big church and a big strip club or disco. Fun on Saturday night-confession on Sunday!
Old 04-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

I spent a summer as a tour guide hitting the Gaspe Peninsula. We always ended at the Chateau. The food was WONDERFUL. QC is one of my favorite places. I lived just below the Chateau off of Place Royale when I attended Laval. Couchon Dinge is one of my favorite brunch spots.