"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
Executive Chef

"Nothing Compares To?"

Good Evening,

Pehaps, this is quite a difficult question, however, can you think of something that is more breathtakingly beautiful that you have seen or one of the most delicious meals you have shared with a loved one that you wish to share ?

A few years ago, we had spent a sybaritic month as guests in an Italian Villa on the Adriatic while we were Condo Hunting and studying the Market in a variety of provinces on the Adriatic side ... This was an enchanting experience, not only on the epicurean side of things, however, the memorably beautiful.

Though we have travelled wide and far, the islands of Crete and Santorini are amazing as is Kaui, Hawaii ... and Tulum, Mexico ... Venice enchants, Florence surprises and the USA and Canada certainly have their fair share of stunning majestic mountains and the Sonoma Coast California going north as well as south are awesome ... I also love Mustang wild horse country of Wyoming and the Cape Cod of Massachusetts.

Washington D.C. and its cherry blossoms, is spectacular and the coast of Uruguay and its horses are unforgettable.

Cannot choose just one experience.

Many beautiful places ... and lovely epicurism adventures.

Margi. Cintrano.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
Certified Cake Maniac

Great story Margi, and good topic.

Several years ago, I had just finished a week long catering job of lunch and suppers for a youth conference and was exhausted. DH secretly talked to some friends who have a "cabin" (interchange with word mansion ) on one of our Gulf Islands and rented the ground floor suite (the rest of the place is a constant work in progress). It is a quiet and beautiful spot high above the ocean. He told me the night before my last work day that as soon as we were done we would be leaving for the ferry! I was very excited!

We were there for 3 days. DH didn't want me cooking so we were going to eat at the few little restaurants on the island. However he did bring some steaks with us to BBQ. That day our walk along a beach brought us to a family who had just caught several crab and were selling them for next to nothing - we got two beauties and I cooked them while the steaks, potatoes and a mixture of mushrooms and onions were on the grill. Once it was all done we sat in front of the open french doors watching the sun set on the ocean. All of a sudden a young deer came up the steep slope and peeked its head in then took off up the side of the building.

A beautiful meal, view and visitor made it something to remember!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
One thing came immediately to my mind.

A number of years ago I had to make a doctor's appointment very early in the morning. I live in a very rural area, mostly farming, and our closest medical facilities and doctors are about an hour away.

At any rate, I think it must've been about 6:30 or 7:00 a.m. as I was driving through the countryside on my way to my appointment. The sun was just coming up and the dew was heavy on everything.

As the sun rose and cast its beams at an angle across the fields, the dew shone like millions and millions of diamonds all around me. I was transfixed and captivated by the beautiful sight.

It didn't last very long because the sun rose and the angle of its light no longer brushed the wet vegetation in the huge fields, but it's a sight I'll never forget.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
Executive Chef

@ LP,

Sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing ... I can certainly imagine the Gulf Islands too ! I am a Sea Woman ... Miss terribly when I am in Madrid, though a cool Tapas and Art City, it is as dry as a desert and dusty unfortunately.

Kindest.
Margi.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Katie H.

Sunrises and sunsets do have quite a wonderful impact ... Thanks for sharing. Are you in Blue Grass Country ?

Have a lovely Sunday.
Margi.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
Certified Cake Maniac

Margi, we were on Maine Island! It and Salt Spring are my favourites of the Gulfs. There are so many art shops and no real "restaurants" as such, but cafes - some serve breakfast and lunch only, some lunch/dinner only. Every time I go the experience is different - food and scenery wise!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Katie H.

Sunrises and sunsets do have quite a wonderful impact ... Thanks for sharing. Are you in Blue Grass Country ?

Have a lovely Sunday.
Margi.
I'm in the far western part of Kentucky, but all of Kentucky is Bluegrass country. Kentucky is known as the Bluegrass state. The grass is green like anywhere else but, in the spring, tiny little buds show a slight purple tone that, in large areas, cause the landscape to have a bluish tint.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Many years ago, we were hiking Kokee State Park on Kauai, and emerged from the jungle to overlook the Grand Canyon of the Pacific. It was magnificent.

Underwater views rank up there too. Hawaii, Bonnaire, Cozumel, all clear water and teeming with life.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

There is a turn out and public area, on the Going To The Sun Road in Glacier National Park, that is the most awe-inspiring sight I had ever seen. I had tears in my eyes seeing it. I need to go back and find it again.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
Master Chef

For me the most wonderful sight is the world covered in hoar frost on a sunny morning. The best food experience was eating lobster rolls at a picnic table by a dumpy clam shack on the coast of Maine. The second best is cooking breakfast outdoors over an open fire on a chilly summer morning in the Adirondacks.