NYC Eatery Charges 3 Percent For Food You Waste

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A lot of places around here have been doing this as well and I am all for it. People waste way too much food at all you can eat places. With this new type of policy they will think twice before just loading up their plate because they can.

I am against all you can eat buffets as a principle. They are not good for you health wise and encourage over eating. Besides that though it is against the law to re-use food that is left over it is a common practice in many places and it is still a common thing. If a place want to live by the sword, they should also die by the sword, in other words, if they choose to make it all you can eat they should uphold their policy no matter what. You can't have it both ways IMHO.

They have been doing that for years around here as well, you would be amazed at how much people wasted before they enacted that policy.

Last spring Buck and witnessed what we thought was an appalling site. We were at an all-you-can-eat Asian restaurant. Most of the folks there were being relatively reasonable in how they filled their plates.

However, there was a group/family who came in and, literally, heaped their plates. They ate a portion of each plate, pushed the plate aside with tons of food untouched and proceeded to go back for more plates equally loaded. We were amazed that anyone would do such a thing.

We left the restaurant shaking our heads. Perhaps if there had been a "no waste" policy things might have been different.

We were brought up in, as someone already mentioned, "take what you eat, eat what you take" and, I'll add because we were told, "no more until you finish what's already on your plate." Guess that was a different era.

We were brought up in, as someone already mentioned, "take what you eat, eat what you take" and, I'll add because we were told, "no more until you finish what's already on your plate." Guess that was a different era.

Same here, no more till you finish what you have on your plate. No dessert either, LOL. When we go to buffets we just put a small amount on our plate at a time, after all you can go back as many times as you like so what is the point of overloading the plate in the first place??

Yep, Mav. One of the things Buck and I enjoyed the most about the buffet-style restaurants was that we could take a tablespoon or so of something to get the essence of the dish. Then, go back and get more if we liked it. We weren't "stuffing the turkey," so to speak.

I had a mess sargent that had survived the Battan death march and he had a big sign in the mess hall take what you want but eat all you take. and if he caught you wasting food he was all over you like a wet blanket. I will gauranty you only done it once..

What a great policy! I hardly ever eat at all-you-can eat buffets, but there is one Chinese one nearby that I sometimes go to when lazy. Food is not that great but there's loads of it :-p

Similar to Katie's experience, but IMO even worse was last time a woman and her 2 children took ALL the shumai dumplings when they came out of the kitchen. They make them in batches of about a dozen. SHe rushed up and took them all. Then she took the next batch too. There were lots of people there that wanted some but she just kept taking them. SHe was really the only one eating them and she left about a dozen on the table when she left. What a jerk.

That is horrible Jenny. If I saw someone doing that I would personally say something to them. I do not think I would be able to hold it in.

I have to say that before I saw this policy being put in place at buffets I would not really think about the food I was taking. I usually would not leave over a ton of food anyway, but there might be times where if I thought about it I may have passed on getting more. Now that I have seen this policy though I think about it every time I am at a buffet. I take smaller portions and I do my best to finish every single thing on my plate every time.

If they want to act like a regular sit-down restaurant, then they should be one. That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. They should account for "waste" just like with everything else. What if I don't like what I'm eating, will they take it back? But it's completely ok for them to charge 100% over the cost of alcohol? Gimme a break.

What if I don't like what I'm eating, will they take it back?
It is not incumbent upon a restaurant to take back a dish you do not like. Now if it was cooked wrong or poorly then that is a different story, but if you just don't like the taste of something then that is not the restaurants fault or responsibility.

The restaurants that have this policy (that I have seen) do not enforce it unless there is obvious major waste. If you pile your plate up 3 feet high and eat one thing off it and then go and get another plate and do the same thing then why should the restaurant pay for that? It would be the same as if you pulled up a trash can to the buffet and just started throwing things away.

OK, blatant plate loading would call for some action. But if someone is there nitpicking everyones plate to see how much is left over, it's ridiculous.

If they want to stop the waste, just form a line like a mess hall and let them serve you.

They should focus more on the dopes putting their fingers in there!

That's why I say clear of those places.

OK, blatant plate loading would call for some action. But if someone is there nitpicking everyones plate to see how much is left over, it's ridiculous.

If they want to stop the waste, just form a line like a mess hall and let them serve you.
I have never seen a restaurant with this policy nitpick. Every one I have seen has had it in place for the blatant waste only.

Back
Top Bottom