NYC Mulls Ban on Trans Fats in Eateries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This was run up the flagpole in chicago. Do these cities have NO other problems that need their attention and ENFORCEMENT than being food police. It really ticks me off, as you may guess from this post.
I am against trans-fats. I do not think we need to have the city council legislate it for us.

This may be a new trend. Some state and local governments are banning or proposing bans on foie gras.

Could veal be next? ..or perhaps, all saturated fats?

Ban on smoking ... fine. Because of secondhand smoke.

Ban on fois gras? Silly. If I want to eat it ... too bad.

Ban of tras fats? Ridiculous!!

I admit to loving lots of BAD food with tras fats.

But my partner is dairly allergic, so I cook with margerine and shortening when I cant cook with olive oil. Trans fats are my friend sometimes. Like with pie crust.

Neither veal, foie gras or saturated fats are public health issues. Trans fats are.

Processed foods are one thing- you can read labels and avoid those with shortening, but eating out is a whole different ball game. I don't eat out much, but when I do, it would be nice to know for certain that if I choose something fried, I don't have to worry about what fat it's being fried in. Or, for that matter, if the icing on the cake is made with butter or shortening.

There's not a chance in heck the bill will pass, but if it did, I would love it.

Scott:

Some of us don't appreciate others making decisions about what we can and cannot eat.

You're welcome to eat or not eat whatever you want, that's your decision. I'd like to make my own decisions as well.

Andy M. said:
Scott:

Some of us don't appreciate others making decisions about what we can and cannot eat.

You're welcome to eat or not eat whatever you want, that's your decision. I'd like to make my own decisions as well.

Exactly!

Perhaps there should be labeling on the menu (ala undercooked meat) but banning is BS in my book.

Well, perhaps I should have read the link (still haven't) and what I said about city councils legislating this still holds true for me.
BUT on the front page of today's NYTimes there is the story about it and it is the Department of Health that is doing this!! And they need no other authorization. And the inspections will be done by their restaurant inspectors. And restaurants have until 2008 to get it done. Big WOW to me.
It will be interesting to see if this can really be done--lawsuits on the horizon I would guess.

Will the McDonalds french fries taste that much different if cooked in a trans-fat free oil???

Wendy's dumped a trans-fat included oil for cooking the fries.

Hey. I'm going to eat what I want to eat when I want to eat it. I'll be darned if the government tells me otherwise.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom