Odd, odd news

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wish I thought of this, I could use the money.

Wouldn't change anything, its still disturbing.

The clip focuses on those with Empty Nest and loss of child, what about those who get these dolls as an accessory?

Are they really any different than any other Poser?

Too bad they don't have these "babies" crying and keeping them up all night. We'd see then how popular they would be.

Why do you think that, Lee?

I think we will see more and more of anything that will fill needs and wants of people, without the inconvience, mess, and stress of the real thing.

Materials and electronics are advancing at a record pace, and are being formed into products that look like babies and pets now, probably kids and adults in the future.

We are a society who will keep manufacturing and buying things that are new and trendy, at least partially fill a void in our lives, are easy and convenient.

Consider this email I received recently - it was an eye-opener for me!

THE YEAR 1908 (email)

June 02, 2008 01:15 PM EDT
views: 57 | rating: 10/10 (9 votes) | comments: 6

This will boggle your mind, I know it did mine!
The year is 1908.
One hundred years ago.
What a difference a century makes!
Here are some statistics for the Year 1908 :

The average life expectancy was 47 years.

Only 14 percent of the homes had a bathtub.

Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone.

There were only 8,000 cars and only 144 miles of paved roads.

The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.

The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower!

The average wage in 1908 was 22 cents per hour.

The average worker made between $200 and $400 per year.

A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 per year,
A dentist $2,500 per year, a veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000 per
year, and a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.

More than 95 percent of all births took place at HOME .

Ninety percent of all doctors had NO COLLEGE EDUCATION!
Instead, they attended so-called medical schools, many of which
Were condemned in the press AND the government as "substandard. "

Sugar cost four cents a pound.

Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen.

Coffee was fifteen cents a pound.

Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used
Borax or egg yolks for shampoo.

Canada passed a law that prohibited poor people from
Entering into their country for any reason.

Five leading causes of death were:
1. Pneumonia and influenza
2. Tuberculosis
3. Diarrhea
4. Heart disease
5. Stroke

The American flag had 45 stars.

The population of Las Vegas, Nevada, was only 30!!!!

Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and ice tea hadn't been invented yet.

There was no Mother's Day or Father's Day.

Two out of every 10 adults couldn't read or write.
Only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated from high school.

Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at
the local corner drugstores. Back then pharmacists said, "Heroin clears
the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind,regulates the stomach and
bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health." ( Shocking? DUH! )

Eighteen percent of households had at least
One full-time servant or domestic help.

There were about 230 reported murders in the ENTIRE U.S.A. !

Now I forwarded this from someone else without typing
It myself, and sent it to you and others all over Canada & U.S.A
Possibly the world, in a matter of seconds!

Try to imagine what it may be like in another 100 years.

I see it must be because people are treating them as children. That is a bit weird, but if a kid had one would it just be like them having a more realistic doll? They seem to think they toy dolls are real too.

Also I read that humans don't like AI type things having a human looking face. Creeepy! :)

I'll put this into shortest words possible.
In security at an airport, I commented to an older gentleman about his darling little baby he was holding, until HE PUT IT THROUGH THE CONVEYER BELT. Everyone around me was astounded, we were in shock as was the security person running the belt.
The 'dad' laughed gently and assured all of us it was okay.
It was not a real baby. I jumped in and said, "What? Yes it is, I'm a mom, I know these things." He was such a sweetheart very calm like he's gotten this many times.

He had gone into an auction and his bid won on this doll. He did tell me what his winning bid was, and again, no reason to keep that in my memory bank so I didn't, but do remember thinking that was quite a good reasonable price. He did tell me what he wanted it for or why he wanted it which I don't remember, but he let me hold her. I got all snuggly with her and he just smiled and said, "Exactly."

When I walked away with his business card in my hand, I wondered if my mother [who suffers from dementia after strokes and brain bleeds] would be more happy in life if she had one.

It was breathtakingly beautiful.

I have to add, I didn't have sound on while watching this clip so if there was odd freaky stuff being said, I only saw, didn't hear.

...I wondered if my mother [who suffers from dementia after strokes and brain bleeds] would be more happy in life if she had one...
I would see that as something acceptable. The part I had a problem with was people substituting them for a real child. For instance, a mom whose child had died, a woman who miscarried, or a woman who can't or doesn't want to have a child of her own.

As far as children playing with dolls with some realistic qualities, they are playing and preparing for someday having a real baby of their own. My daughter loved her dolls and had one very realistic looking one. She treated that doll very tenderly and was a great mom to her. But she knew it was a doll and not a real baby (evidenced, in part, by the fact that she occasionally swung Cindy around by her feet and threw her in the air, and she never did that with her two children! lol). My fear (which echoes those brought up in the interview) is that some of the people buying these dolls won't know the difference. It would be one thing for a person suffering dementia, as mentioned above, but (to me anyway) something altogether different for the average healthy person who should be interacting with other humans, or even a pet, rather than a pretend baby.

:huh:Barbara

After reading all the posts on this, I have not seen any comment about using these so called babies in classrooms, I think there are some schools that have a class or program about teenage pregnancies and they have to care for an egg or doll like it was a real baby to show how much responsibility it is .

After reading all the posts on this, I have not seen any comment about using these so called babies in classrooms, I think there are some schools that have a class or program about teenage pregnancies and they have to care for an egg or doll like it was a real baby to show how much responsibility it is .
They do use special dolls for those programs, where a doll cries, has to be "fed," changed, rocked, etc. If the "mom" or "dad" does not attend to the baby's needs, it does not stop crying, and I believe some kind of computer technology tracks it. I'm not sure how real the babies look, but it would be good if they did look fairly real.

:)Barbara

I'm not sure how real the babies look, but it would be good if they did look fairly real.

I'm not so sure about that Barb - babies, like puppies, are cute...then things change.....................:LOL:..........they need to be as uncomfortable as they can be!!!!

Yes, it is sick. And the professional was good to point out future pathologies, like baby stealing.

However, I think this issue stands out because it centers on cute little babies. All sections of societies are troubled by the concept.

For example, yesterday I was banned from forum after tangling with a guy in this confused state of mental health. This particular forum dealt with firearms, and as such attracted what we call "mall ninjas." These are troubled people who are hired for mall or bank security, sometimes after washing out of a police academy.

As you know, mall security do wear a "uniform," and somewhere along the line they think they have policing powers. One poor soul even carried handcuffs--two sets--despite the fact his security company had a symposium teaching them they had no authority to touch people.

When faced with the fact he was a only a ninja--and it was done in a public forum--he melted down. He cut and pasted bits of enforcement statutes, none of which applied to him. I warned him sincerely that a biker would toss him in a fountain and then sue him.

And speaking of bikers, we are being overrun with dentists and insurance salesmen who buy little black Harley Sportsters and then every piece of concho festooned leather over in the road clothes division. A friend and I watched one poser today try and get a full-dress bagger out of the parking lot without killing the engine.

My opinion is this is all the same game--fake babies, fake cops, fake bikers and probably within this forum are fake chefs.

Gosh Chico - "fake chefs" - that's a bit harsh! So is "fake biker" IMHO. I don't even want to know what qualifies one to be a "real" biker. I know what qualifies a "real" chef as far as credentials go...I think there are other mitigating factors as well.

Are there only certain jobs one can have to be a real biker? A dentist cannot be a biker? I don't understand the heavy-handed way of thinking in this instance, I guess. :neutral:

Whether it be a hobby, a passion, or whatever, there are posers everwhere. There's poser talk on almost every forum, especially when they involve equipment and gear.
Heck, with my below average cooking ability, if I remodeled my kitchen and installed a $40,000 gas range & oven I would be classified as a poser to some and I would even admit to it.

Posers are very common in the cycling community as well in which I belong. Some of us refer one type of posers as OCP's (Obsessive Compulsive Poseur). One example of this is cyclists with very expensive bicycles who don't ride much but are more concerned about looking good with them at Starbucks.
Another typical example is you often see out of shape middle aged cyclists (both men and women) on the road in full kits on near $10,000 racing bicycles. That seem to bother a few. It doesn't bother me a bit. If they can afford them, the more power to them. At least they're enjoying the hobby, appreciating fine machinery, and at the same time, getting in shape.

:)

Gosh Chico - "fake chefs" - that's a bit harsh! So is "fake biker" IMHO. I don't even want to know what qualifies one to be a "real" biker. I know what qualifies a "real" chef as far as credentials go...I think there are other mitigating factors as well.

Are there only certain jobs one can have to be a real biker? A dentist cannot be a biker? I don't understand the heavy-handed way of thinking in this instance, I guess. :neutral:

Here, here, Kitchenelf. 2 points. :clap:
More power to anyone who wants to keep a small business in business. I sure can't.

Yes, I believe there are fake chefs and fake bikers. I would define the condition as one where someone deliberately misrepresents his credentials. Or, he truly believes his own scenario.

(Yes, a dentist could be a biker, and vice versa. But a dentist/biker should also know exactly why he cuts the sleeves off his denim jacket. And certainly he must understand the concept of a fraternal brotherhood that does not automatically manifest itself just because he makes purchases in a bike shop. Even a widow owns a Harley.)

Having said that, I think we are talking about the same disease or mental illness. It would be easy to simply dismiss the issue as bluffing or posturing. Without going into an explanation, I believe it truly is an illness.

One of these women claims to be a mother. The dentist next to me claims to know Peter Fonda. The guy next to you claims to know Cat Cora. I believe it is the same thing, and rather than anger, I think it needs to be treated.

I don't really have a problem with saying, "Look, everyone in this parking lot knows you can't ride this bike--let me teach you, no disgrace in being a newb."

I'm sure many of you would do the same. "Say, Martha, that's not a spatula, that's an Inuit ulu. Let me show you how to fold an egg."

However, I believe there is more to this. At some level many of these guys believe they are cops, or they really ride with Peter Fonda or they actually can talk to Ms. Cora while they make macaroni and cheese.

And that's a true illness.

I'm not so sure about that Barb - babies, like puppies, are cute...then things change.....................:LOL:..........they need to be as uncomfortable as they can be!!!!
LOL Yeah, I thought about that, but real doesn't always have to be "cute" in the traditional sense. "Real" can include all kinds of looks!

The video would not work for me so I can only go from what I have read here, but I do not see the issue with someone who has had a miscarriage or someone who can not have a baby or whatever getting a realistic baby doll if that fills a void in their life as long as they do not break from reality and believe it really is real. I actually think it could be very beneficial in some cases.

The video would not work for me so I can only go from what I have read here, but I do not see the issue with someone who has had a miscarriage or someone who can not have a baby or whatever getting a realistic baby doll if that fills a void in their life as long as they do not break from reality and believe it really is real. I actually think it could be very beneficial in some cases.
From what the video said, some are carrying them in public, treating them as real babies. This sounds like a break from reality to me.

:huh:Barbara

IMO it is only a break from reality is they do not believe the babies are fake. If they are just carrying them in public and pretending they are real then I do not see the issue. It may be a bit odd, but there are plenty of things that are odd that are OK.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom