"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-16-2008, 04:04 PM   #31
Senior Cook

Yes, it is sick. And the professional was good to point out future pathologies, like baby stealing.

However, I think this issue stands out because it centers on cute little babies. All sections of societies are troubled by the concept.

For example, yesterday I was banned from forum after tangling with a guy in this confused state of mental health. This particular forum dealt with firearms, and as such attracted what we call "mall ninjas." These are troubled people who are hired for mall or bank security, sometimes after washing out of a police academy.

As you know, mall security do wear a "uniform," and somewhere along the line they think they have policing powers. One poor soul even carried handcuffs--two sets--despite the fact his security company had a symposium teaching them they had no authority to touch people.

When faced with the fact he was a only a ninja--and it was done in a public forum--he melted down. He cut and pasted bits of enforcement statutes, none of which applied to him. I warned him sincerely that a biker would toss him in a fountain and then sue him.

And speaking of bikers, we are being overrun with dentists and insurance salesmen who buy little black Harley Sportsters and then every piece of concho festooned leather over in the road clothes division. A friend and I watched one poser today try and get a full-dress bagger out of the parking lot without killing the engine.

My opinion is this is all the same game--fake babies, fake cops, fake bikers and probably within this forum are fake chefs.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:17 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Gosh Chico - "fake chefs" - that's a bit harsh! So is "fake biker" IMHO. I don't even want to know what qualifies one to be a "real" biker. I know what qualifies a "real" chef as far as credentials go...I think there are other mitigating factors as well.

Are there only certain jobs one can have to be a real biker? A dentist cannot be a biker? I don't understand the heavy-handed way of thinking in this instance, I guess.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:24 PM   #33
Master Chef

Whether it be a hobby, a passion, or whatever, there are posers everwhere. There's poser talk on almost every forum, especially when they involve equipment and gear.
Heck, with my below average cooking ability, if I remodeled my kitchen and installed a $40,000 gas range & oven I would be classified as a poser to some and I would even admit to it.

Posers are very common in the cycling community as well in which I belong. Some of us refer one type of posers as OCP's (Obsessive Compulsive Poseur). One example of this is cyclists with very expensive bicycles who don't ride much but are more concerned about looking good with them at Starbucks.
Another typical example is you often see out of shape middle aged cyclists (both men and women) on the road in full kits on near $10,000 racing bicycles. That seem to bother a few. It doesn't bother me a bit. If they can afford them, the more power to them. At least they're enjoying the hobby, appreciating fine machinery, and at the same time, getting in shape.

Old 08-16-2008, 06:38 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
Gosh Chico - "fake chefs" - that's a bit harsh! So is "fake biker" IMHO. I don't even want to know what qualifies one to be a "real" biker. I know what qualifies a "real" chef as far as credentials go...I think there are other mitigating factors as well.

Are there only certain jobs one can have to be a real biker? A dentist cannot be a biker? I don't understand the heavy-handed way of thinking in this instance, I guess.
Here, here, Kitchenelf. 2 points.
More power to anyone who wants to keep a small business in business. I sure can't.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:08 AM   #35
Senior Cook

Yes, I believe there are fake chefs and fake bikers. I would define the condition as one where someone deliberately misrepresents his credentials. Or, he truly believes his own scenario.

(Yes, a dentist could be a biker, and vice versa. But a dentist/biker should also know exactly why he cuts the sleeves off his denim jacket. And certainly he must understand the concept of a fraternal brotherhood that does not automatically manifest itself just because he makes purchases in a bike shop. Even a widow owns a Harley.)

Having said that, I think we are talking about the same disease or mental illness. It would be easy to simply dismiss the issue as bluffing or posturing. Without going into an explanation, I believe it truly is an illness.

One of these women claims to be a mother. The dentist next to me claims to know Peter Fonda. The guy next to you claims to know Cat Cora. I believe it is the same thing, and rather than anger, I think it needs to be treated.

I don't really have a problem with saying, "Look, everyone in this parking lot knows you can't ride this bike--let me teach you, no disgrace in being a newb."

I'm sure many of you would do the same. "Say, Martha, that's not a spatula, that's an Inuit ulu. Let me show you how to fold an egg."

However, I believe there is more to this. At some level many of these guys believe they are cops, or they really ride with Peter Fonda or they actually can talk to Ms. Cora while they make macaroni and cheese.

And that's a true illness.
Old 08-17-2008, 05:07 AM   #36
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
I'm not so sure about that Barb - babies, like puppies, are cute...then things change...............................they need to be as uncomfortable as they can be!!!!
LOL Yeah, I thought about that, but real doesn't always have to be "cute" in the traditional sense. "Real" can include all kinds of looks!

Barbara
Old 08-17-2008, 09:05 AM   #37
Chief Eating Officer

The video would not work for me so I can only go from what I have read here, but I do not see the issue with someone who has had a miscarriage or someone who can not have a baby or whatever getting a realistic baby doll if that fills a void in their life as long as they do not break from reality and believe it really is real. I actually think it could be very beneficial in some cases.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:15 PM   #38
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
The video would not work for me so I can only go from what I have read here, but I do not see the issue with someone who has had a miscarriage or someone who can not have a baby or whatever getting a realistic baby doll if that fills a void in their life as long as they do not break from reality and believe it really is real. I actually think it could be very beneficial in some cases.
From what the video said, some are carrying them in public, treating them as real babies. This sounds like a break from reality to me.

Barbara
Old 08-17-2008, 03:04 PM   #39
Chief Eating Officer

IMO it is only a break from reality is they do not believe the babies are fake. If they are just carrying them in public and pretending they are real then I do not see the issue. It may be a bit odd, but there are plenty of things that are odd that are OK.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:08 PM   #40
Master Chef

It worked for Lars.