"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-08-2008, 11:41 AM   #11
Head Chef

I want a Charleston report... I miss my city.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:02 PM   #12
Head Chef

BarbaraL, I am so surprised that this woman is 31 years old and has the emotional maturity of a 16 year old. Thank goodness she had enough sense to know that she could not care for her child and that your friends will have the baby to love and raise and teach right from wrong. I just hope that substance abuse is not in the picture. It would be helpful to the new parents to learn as much as they can about both birth parents and their families. There are a lot of heredity health issues that this child should be able to know about so that healthy choices can be made.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:54 PM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieSusan View Post
BarbaraL, I am so surprised that this woman is 31 years old and has the emotional maturity of a 16 year old. Thank goodness she had enough sense to know that she could not care for her child and that your friends will have the baby to love and raise and teach right from wrong. I just hope that substance abuse is not in the picture. It would be helpful to the new parents to learn as much as they can about both birth parents and their families. There are a lot of heredity health issues that this child should be able to know about so that healthy choices can be made.
Substance abuse is in the picture (at least it was, and possibly will be again, if it isn't already). No one (including the birth mom) knows who the father is. The baby started out small but is doing very well now. Her new brothers (the adoptive parents already had two boys) have various health problems (one has an extremely bad peanut allergy as well as, I believe, asthma, and the younger is [mildly] autistic), so hopefully the baby will not have any issues that will add to the medical "fun!"

Phinz, we didn't get to spend much time in Charleston, but we did have a fantastic lunch at Bubba Gump Shrimp Co., and we did some shopping (mostly just looking) at the Marketplace (whatever it is called!--between N and S Market Street). We drove down to the Battery and saw some of the gorgeous houses, but it was getting dark so we didn't get a good look at any of them. I think James saw enough on our trip that he will definitely want to go back (this was his first time), and I know I want to go back.

Barbara
Old 12-08-2008, 10:08 PM   #14
Head Chef

Bubba Gump? I can get Bubba Gump in Gatlinburg.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:22 PM   #15
Traveling Welcome Wagon

LOL Yeah, but we had never been to one. (The first one I ever saw was in Williamsburg). Our souvenir glasses say Charleston on them. My appetizer was amazing! So was my dessert. And the meal was pretty good too.

Barbara
Old 12-08-2008, 11:37 PM   #16
Head Chef

Tommy Condon's. Hymen Seafood. The Noisy Oyster. Magnolias. SNOB. The Crab House, and so MANY others... Man, I wish I'd been able to take you around and show you my favoritest town in the whole wide world.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:27 AM   #17
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I have eaten at Hymen Seafood before. Someday we will go back when we have time to really enjoy ourselves and will try the local places. James is such a "Forrest Gump" fan, and it was right there on Market Street (where we planned to shop), so I am glad we went there. When we go next time, we will let you know so you can drop everything and come give us a tour! Well, you could give us an online tour anyway! It really is a beautiful city, and the people we talked to were all very friendly.

Barbara