"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-05-2008, 12:29 PM   #1
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Off to Charleston!

Remember the birth mom who asked my friend to adopt her baby? The money ran out so she has to be out of her house today. She said some friends in Charleston will be helping her out (job, car to use, etc.), so she is going down there. She called awhile ago and said that her ride fell through and asked if we could drive her down. James has always wanted to go to Charleston, and I have heard that they have beautiful Christmas lights. Depending on how things work out we will either drop her off and get back home late tonight, or we might stay down there. We really can't afford it, but we will probably stay there, since it is about a 4 hour drive. That way James can see it at night and during the day. I'm bringing my laptop (if I don't forget!), so if we stay I will probably be back on tonight. Otherwise I will be back on tomorrow night.

Have a nice day everyone!

Barbara

Old 12-05-2008, 12:36 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Have a ton of fun!

Old 12-05-2008, 12:46 PM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Everything happens for a reason, Barbara.

Have a safe and fun trip.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:09 PM   #4
Master Chef

Have fun and be safe... I'm off to Jefferson today for haunted house tours!
Old 12-05-2008, 11:32 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Have a safe trip Barbara and Sattie. Ooh haunted house tours sounds like alot of fun !!
Old 12-06-2008, 12:19 AM   #6
Traveling Welcome Wagon

That sounds like fun sattie!

Well, it turns out the "friend" she had here was an online (apparently just recent) friend whom she had never met. We got her there a little after 9:00 p.m. When she went in she said to wait a few minutes. We assumed she was going to give us the promised (and needed) gas money and say goodbye. We sat there about 20 minutes. I'm pretty sure I saw her peeking out a window. Oh well, we did it to help out. I know that she wants to move back up to our area again, since that is where her mom and kids live. If we hear from her again it will probably be, "Can you come pick me up?"

Since it was so late, we decided to stay here. We plan to do a little sight-seeing tomorrow, since James has never been to Charleston before. I have only been twice--once on a school field-trip to Fort Sumter, and once for a weekend with friends.

Barbara
Old 12-06-2008, 08:22 AM   #7
Head Chef

Barbara, you are certainly a kind hearted soul. I admire you and what you do to help others.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:36 AM   #8
Master Chef

Barbara, you have done what you could for this lady. Enough is enough. Being down and out does not mean for a person to be outright RUDE and ungrateful. No more!! You two are too kind and if she calls again, say, I'm happy we could help you, but, we have moved on and cannot help you any longer.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:36 AM   #9
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Barbara - There is one above us all, and he said "Whatever you do for others, you do for me." Yes, I am paraphraising. It feels good to do good things for people that need it and we do not always get rewarded "right away". I do believe that the reward will be coming.You did a good thing, you and James are good people.

AC
Old 12-06-2008, 11:47 PM   #10
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Thanks everyone. We do try, and we have been fortunate enough that others have helped us out when we needed it. I'm afraid it is time for her to learn to stand on her own two feet now though. But that doesn't mean we will turn our backs on her. We can't afford to support her, and until she stops expecting everyone to do everything for her she will never really grow up. We gave her some inspirational books and a bible for Christmas (which she did appreciate), and she has my email address and has been invited to stay in touch. I really worry about her because she is searching for love and acceptance but doesn't realize that indiscriminate sex with 20(ish) year old boys (she is 31) isn't the way to find it. Hopefully the seeds we (and our friend Christi) have planted will someday grow to bear fruit and she will finally gain some self-respect. She is sorely missing that.

Barbara