Off to Paris. Shhh... It's a secret!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ummm .... Ladies!:mad:

I believe that I got first dibs !!!

Anyway, I like the "birthday lunch" plan. I think it will work better than getting her upset about a problem at home.

Imagine the look on her face when you tell her that the lunch is in Paris!!!
:shock: :w00t2: :kiss:

Now ladies... There's plenty of me to go around. Since this is the start of my world tour, I suppose I'd better make a few changes in my itinerary. I guess I had better have a tour date in Massachussets, Liberty, South Carolina, and Texas. Something's telling me I should stay away from New Jersey though. LOL

As long as you don't run into some unexpected "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" like misadventure I don't see why your take-her-out-for-lunch scheme wouldn't work. And yes it deserves to work!! Darla is one lucky lady to have a hubby like you:) Have a blast in Paris!!

You know I live in Indiana..........and you don't have to come up with any excuse.....I can even play dumb and act surprised. But then again your gonna have to come up with an excuse and a reason to explain my disappearing act to my husband......and the kids......oh and the cat........Oh never mind I'd come back and they'd have mold growing on them.....the house would be a shamble......they be suffering from food deprevation.....the cat would have lost even more hair from all the stress ..... so your better off taking the wife.....hee hee!
Seriously, I do hope you have a wonderful trip. She's a lucky gal. Take lots of pics to share.

You are one cool dude, homechef.

Husbands, boyfriends, and SOs everywhere, please start saving money and take copious notes. You will not be sorry.

I don't know if I should stop telling you all my secrets now, but I have been planning our 10 year wedding aniversary for a while. I'm gonna whisk her away to Iceland for a stay at one of the ice hotels. We are both winter / summer people so I'm sure it will be fantastic.

Wow! I've never heard of someone being so romantic that wasn't a movie character. What a lucky gal she is and I'm sure you probably think that you are the lucky one to have her. I think picking her up for lunch is a great idea. Go with that and have a great time. Bring us back some pictures, we'd all love to see them!

Chefie, are you taking applicants for a second or "little" wife? :LOL: I'm ok with being number 2+. Asian culture is full of little wives running around!:) :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

htc said:
Chefie, are you taking applicants for a second or "little" wife? :LOL: I'm ok with being number 2+. Asian culture is full of little wives running around!:) :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Sure:mrgreen: You can be my little Geisha girl (sp). What man wouldn't want one of those:-p

Oh Home Chef... while your making your rounds to Mass., S. Carolina, and Tx... make a stop to Cleveland, Ohio and get me too !!!

Hope you guys are having a great time. Darla's one lucky woman

We're back!

Bon Jour everyone!

What a trip! What a great trip! I promise I will write more but I'm simply too tired right now. I need to catch up on some some sleep. I promise I will write a FULL trip report soon. We ate at some fantastic restaurants, met some charming people from all over the world, and saw some of the most amazing sites on earth.

Oh, and as far as my added tour dates and cities, I will have to postpone them on account of snow. We have a couple inches here that I now have to plow. As soon as I'm done I can start taking appointments:)

OK. Here is my long awaited trip report to Paris. This also includes my email address for more “detailed” explanations of certain clubs my wife and I went to.

Day 1, Wednesday (The surprise)
After tying up all the loose ends here in Chicago, I packed a small bad of travel clothes for my wife, Darla, to change into before the flight. She works in an office and has to wear more formal attire than would be comfortable on a long plane ride. I stopped at Lansing Municipal Airport to drop off the luggage, champagne and gifts so they would already be on the helicopter when we both arrived. I then drove to Darla’s office and surprised her with the bag of clothes. I told her to get changed because we were going out for the rest of the day. She was very confused but obliged. We got in the car and went to Lansing Airport. I then told her that Ken, the owner of the helicopters, is going to take us on a tour of the city for her birthday. She was thrilled. We got in the helicopter and she immediately saw the bottle of French champagne and a gift bag. As soon as we were air born I opened the champagne and instructed her to open her gifts in a certain order. Her first gift was a blank journal with a Parisian looking cover. The second gift was a French / English dictionary. At this point she looked baffled. The third gift was a Rick Steve’s guide to Paris. Now she was downright confused but the anxiety was apparent. She finally figured out the surprise when we were almost to O’Hare although she couldn’t budge a smile due to the extreme shock. I think she thought I was pulling her leg or something. Anyway, we got out of the helicopter and went to the terminal. She finally started to smile and become aware when we boarded the plane. Of course, the expected questions such as “What about the baby?” and “What did you pack for me to wear?” were answered as though they were rehearsed several times. Off to Paris!

Day 1, Thursday (The first day in the city of lights.)
When we arrived we made it through customs very swiftly and jumped right into an awaiting cab. We went to our hotel (Hotel Jardin D’Eiffel in the 7th). It was a quaint hotel on a small one-way street. The staff was excellent and spoke good English. Our room was expectedly small with only a tub and sit down shower. In fact, the sink seemed larger than the tub LOL. We had a double bed, which were really 2 single beds pushed together. The bed was very uncomfortable but that was quickly forgotten about after we looked out our window. When we drew the curtains back we saw the Eiffel Tower. It looked like we could almost reach out and touch it. What a great view! We dropped our bags and immediately walked to the tower. There was a short line since it was bitter cold out. We went to the top and gazed at the city. It was magnificent. We spent all of a half hour up there. Shortly after we came down they closed the tower due to inclement weather. From there we walked around our district and found lots of neat little shops. And then there were the crepe stands… WOW! The crepes were unbelievable! The butter & sugar and the Nutella & banana were my favorites. I must have eaten 3 or 4 every day. I couldn’t tell you where we had lunch that day but it was very good. Dinner that night was at Le’ Square Trusseau. We were a bit overdressed but that was fine by us. There were plenty of people in jeans and sweaters. Our meals there were the best of our trip! Dinner lasted about 2 hours or so and cost us about $120 Euros. By then it was 11:00 p.m. and we were tired. We stopped at an Irish pub near the hotel called O’Briens for a nightcap and then off to bed.

Day 2, Friday (The Louvre)
We took a taxi to The Louvre. I couldn’t believe how enormous it was. Not too much to tell here other than it was absolutely amazing. The real treat for the both of us was dinner at 9:00 at Le Coup Chow. This place was hard to find. It was down a small side street then down another small side street. Even the cab driver didn’t know of the street. The entrance was well hidden but we found it easily enough. The ambiance was very rustic. It was dark and quaint. We both decided to dress up for this night. I wore a suit and she bought a little black dress earlier that afternoon to wear. Oh yea, we were stylin’. The food was better than I had hoped for but not as good as Le’ Square Trusseau. Dinner lasted about 2 hours and ran us about $120 Euros. After dinner it was off to the Moulin Rouge. I’m glad Darla liked. The show was great but I was far from impressed with our accommodations. I had made reservations about a month in advance. When we got there we saw there was a very long line outside the theater. I found a gentleman that was working outside the theater and told him we had reservations. He told us to go wait in the back of the line. Another English couple was in the same predicament as we were. We finally got into the theater and were seated all the way on the left side of the stage against the wall. Curtains and the heads of other, more appropriately seated, attendees obstructed the view. When the bill showed up I tried to explain my dissatisfaction. I was met by “I don’t speak English.” And awaited an English speaking representative whom never arrived. I put the bill on my credit card but I think I will dispute the charges. I already sent an Email to the Moulin Rouge explaining my dilemma.

This is the part where things got a little "too good". I can't post it here but if you want to PM me I will try to fill you in on a few of the details. For now, let's just say Paris is a very 'liberal' city
wink.gif
We didn't get in until 5:30a.m.

Day 3, Saturday (Nothing planned)
We woke up around 1:00p.m. and went out for lunch. From there I went to some wine shops and Darla went shopping for gifts. I bought a couple cases of wine and she bought, well, all of Paris! Dinner that night was very informal. I don’t even remember where we ate. We also took a cruise on the Seine River. That was well worth the $10 Euros each. We then went back to the hotel room and Darla crashed hard. It was now 2:00a.m. Sunday morning. Our flight leaves at 7:00a.m. I couldn’t sleep so I got dressed and went over to O’Briens and closed the place down. I then walked over to another bar that was already closed but they let me in anyway. I had a few more drinks and by then it was 5:00a.m. Time to go back to the hotel and wake Darla up. We finished packing and then we were off to the airport by 5:45a.m.

Day 4, Sunday (Finally home)
We got back to the house around 3:00p.m. and I immediately had to go out and plow snow. That’s how I make my money in the winter. I also had a party to cater.

I’m still not unpacked. Darla has been very outgoing lately. Hmmm. All in all it was a great trip. Just not long enough.

OK. Here is my long awaited trip report to Paris. This also includes my email address for more “detailed” explanations of certain clubs my wife and I went to.

Day 1, Wednesday (The surprise)
After tying up all the loose ends here in Chicago, I packed a small bad of travel clothes for my wife, Darla, to change into before the flight. She works in an office and has to wear more formal attire than would be comfortable on a long plane ride. I stopped at Lansing Municipal Airport to drop off the luggage, champagne and gifts so they would already be on the helicopter when we both arrived. I then drove to Darla’s office and surprised her with the bag of clothes. I told her to get changed because we were going out for the rest of the day. She was very confused but obliged. We got in the car and went to Lansing Airport. I then told her that Ken, the owner of the helicopters, is going to take us on a tour of the city for her birthday. She was thrilled. We got in the helicopter and she immediately saw the bottle of French champagne and a gift bag. As soon as we were air born I opened the champagne and instructed her to open her gifts in a certain order. Her first gift was a blank journal with a Parisian looking cover. The second gift was a French / English dictionary. At this point she looked baffled. The third gift was a Rick Steve’s guide to Paris. Now she was downright confused but the anxiety was apparent. She finally figured out the surprise when we were almost to O’Hare although she couldn’t budge a smile due to the extreme shock. I think she thought I was pulling her leg or something. Anyway, we got out of the helicopter and went to the terminal. She finally started to smile and become aware when we boarded the plane. Of course, the expected questions such as “What about the baby?” and “What did you pack for me to wear?” were answered as though they were rehearsed several times. Off to Paris!

Day 1, Thursday (The first day in the city of lights.)
When we arrived we made it through customs very swiftly and jumped right into an awaiting cab. We went to our hotel (Hotel Jardin D’Eiffel in the 7th). It was a quaint hotel on a small one-way street. The staff was excellent and spoke good English. Our room was expectedly small with only a tub and sit down shower. In fact, the sink seemed larger than the tub LOL. We had a double bed, which were really 2 single beds pushed together. The bed was very uncomfortable but that was quickly forgotten about after we looked out our window. When we drew the curtains back we saw the Eiffel Tower. It looked like we could almost reach out and touch it. What a great view! We dropped our bags and immediately walked to the tower. There was a short line since it was bitter cold out. We went to the top and gazed at the city. It was magnificent. We spent all of a half hour up there. Shortly after we came down they closed the tower due to inclement weather. From there we walked around our district and found lots of neat little shops. And then there were the crepe stands… WOW! The crepes were unbelievable! The butter & sugar and the Nutella & banana were my favorites. I must have eaten 3 or 4 every day. I couldn’t tell you where we had lunch that day but it was very good. Dinner that night was at Le’ Square Trusseau. We were a bit overdressed but that was fine by us. There were plenty of people in jeans and sweaters. Our meals there were the best of our trip! Dinner lasted about 2 hours or so and cost us about $120 Euros. By then it was 11:00 p.m. and we were tired. We stopped at an Irish pub near the hotel called O’Briens for a nightcap and then off to bed.

Day 2, Friday (The Louvre)
We took a taxi to The Louvre. I couldn’t believe how enormous it was. Not too much to tell here other than it was absolutely amazing. The real treat for the both of us was dinner at 9:00 at Le Coup Chow. This place was hard to find. It was down a small side street then down another small side street. Even the cab driver didn’t know of the street. The entrance was well hidden but we found it easily enough. The ambiance was very rustic. It was dark and quaint. We both decided to dress up for this night. I wore a suit and she bought a little black dress earlier that afternoon to wear. Oh yea, we were stylin’. The food was better than I had hoped for but not as good as Le’ Square Trusseau. Dinner lasted about 2 hours and ran us about $120 Euros. After dinner it was off to the Moulin Rouge. I’m glad Darla liked. The show was great but I was far from impressed with our accommodations. I had made reservations about a month in advance. When we got there we saw there was a very long line outside the theater. I found a gentleman that was working outside the theater and told him we had reservations. He told us to go wait in the back of the line. Another English couple was in the same predicament as we were. We finally got into the theater and were seated all the way on the left side of the stage against the wall. Curtains and the heads of other, more appropriately seated, attendees obstructed the view. When the bill showed up I tried to explain my dissatisfaction. I was met by “I don’t speak English.” And awaited an English speaking representative whom never arrived. I put the bill on my credit card but I think I will dispute the charges. I already sent an Email to the Moulin Rouge explaining my dilemma.

This is the part where things got a little "too good". I can't post it here but if you want to PM me I will try to fill you in on a few of the details. For now, let's just say Paris is a very 'liberal' city
wink.gif
We didn't get in until 5:30a.m.

Day 3, Saturday (Nothing planned)
We woke up around 1:00p.m. and went out for lunch. From there I went to some wine shops and Darla went shopping for gifts. I bought a couple cases of wine and she bought, well, all of Paris! Dinner that night was very informal. I don’t even remember where we ate. We also took a cruise on the Seine River. That was well worth the $10 Euros each. We then went back to the hotel room and Darla crashed hard. It was now 2:00a.m. Sunday morning. Our flight leaves at 7:00a.m. I couldn’t sleep so I got dressed and went over to O’Briens and closed the place down. I then walked over to another bar that was already closed but they let me in anyway. I had a few more drinks and by then it was 5:00a.m. Time to go back to the hotel and wake Darla up. We finished packing and then we were off to the airport by 5:45a.m.

Day 4, Sunday (Finally home)
We got back to the house around 3:00p.m. and I immediately had to go out and plow snow. That’s how I make my money in the winter. I also had a party to cater.

I’m still not unpacked. Darla has been very outgoing lately. Hmmm. All in all it was a great trip. Just not long enough.

wow! thanks for the update, hc. sounds like it was a great time.
good thinking about the credit card thing with the moulin rouge.

i'm not sure if you realize it yet, but every guy on this site suddenly looks like a cro-magnan compared to you.

Back
Top Bottom