"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 08-26-2005, 11:11 AM   #11
Sous Chef
Tried this last night, but couldn't find any in our town, nor in the neighboring towns, and thought maybe I'm not using the website right. A bit more than 5 years ago, the man across the street from our house was arrested on child molestation charges. He had 5 children of his own, and was a police officer, to boot. He had coached his daughter's soccer team, and gained access to her friends. Their house was a popular hang-out for a lot of teen-agers. Funny enough, I never used to let my girls go over there, things just seemed a little to loose - at the time my girls were around the ages of 11, 13 & 15. Anyway, they had their own group of friends, and it never became an issue. Ultimately, he was convicted on 28 counts and is now serving a very long prison term. The family moved away, and I have heard that things were very difficult for them in so many ways, and they really had a rough time, which is so sad. Even sadder was that their daughter who was 14 years old when all this happened, has already had a child. When my youngest was small, she'd often go out into the driveway with tap-shoes on all by herself and sing and dance away, and I'd look around, and suddenly realize she wasn't in the house, and run to the window, and there she'd be. I never liked her to be out there by herself like that. Kids would say, oh Mom, you're being over-protective! There are no child molesters around here!!!! Thanks for posting this. Sandyj

Sandyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 10:06 PM   #12
Head Chef
There are several in our area with one on the same block. But do you know that out of all the people on that list there are probably a few that are totally inocent of the crime they have been convicted of?.

I personally know of one of those suposed *** offenders and he was convicted without any evidence ever being presented in the court of law. SAD!. This mans reputation has been ruined.

"Experience is the name everyone gives to his mistakes."

tweedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 10:29 PM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon
Our town only has a population of 3,000, but we have 25. A few of them are incarcerated. When I gave a friend the website the other day, when I said, "There are 25 in..." and she broke in, very surprised sounding, with, "In South Carolina?" She thought that was a lot for South Carolina, but she was shocked when I told her, "No, 25 just in Pageland!"

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 10:45 PM   #14
Senior Cook
I have a hard time swallowing the whole "offenders rights" thing.

I, too, have been accused of being way to protective - but when you are a parent of an innocent - there is no such thing as over protective.

My biggest nightmare when my children were wee was that they would somehow be just grabbed and disappear forever. The reality of that thought was haunting and I was dilligent while they were smaller to make sure that they were never even close to being "prey". ( I came from a highly populated area where there were always abductions and discoveries of toddler's bodies and a lot of cult stuff in the news. And also the Christina French murders).

Neighbourhood watch and awareness programs help a lot and if your child goes for a walk or whatever - give them your cell phone to take with them and show them how to use the 911 feature. You just never know.

The system tends to look out for the "offender's" rights (and in SOME cases rightfully so) but an awareness and a willingness to communicate with neighbours can be helpful.. Don't become vigillantes - but do watch out for each other.

That's probably the best we can do for each other.

Real people always make more of a difference than the "system".
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra!
Cyberchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 01:00 AM   #15
Master Chef
25 in a town of 3000? We actually "chased out" (legally) our one guy on the list (he was using his mother's address, when, in fact, he was living a block from the local school). In a town that small you should be able to police yourselves. We try to. (3500)
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 01:13 AM   #16
DC Grandma

Try this for California

May I always be the person my dog thinks I am.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote