"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

I have an upright freezer in addition to the one t the top of our fridge. I only feel the need for more refrigerator space around the holidays. When we have family over in the summer, beer and soft drinks go into a large cooler out on the deck with a bag or two of ice.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #12
Sous Chef

We are now all organized and after a very exuberant trip to Costco I now have a nice supply of meat in the outside freezer and yes, I got the large bag of potato's and ham in cold storage.

I've reorganized and figure long term freezing and cool storage is for the outside unit and the inside one has the every day stuff like milk, salad stuff, yogurt, immediate dishes (leftovers)...that sort of thing.

Drinks and ice cream and beer are now located outside of the cabin, exit toward the rear of the house, follow the emergency lights down the stairs and deploy the shoot and go for it.

Happy Veterans Day weekend. Thank all you current, past and all relations of our service members. Thank you for your service.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My daughter has an 'old' fridge in the garage that is in use for the summer months. It gets plugged in the day they open the pool. It is used for food, beer, etc. The day the pool gets emptied, the fridge gets cleaned and unplugged until next summer. They also unplug it if they are going away for a vacation. It does make a BIG difference in the utility bill.
Not keeping an old refrigerator constantly plugged in will really suck whatever life is left in it, every time it's plugged back in. I hope it's not so old to have the old latch that trapped children playing "hide and go seek". Shudder, I'm old enough to remember those horror days with empty old refrigerators.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Congratulations! Happy Cooking as Jacques is wont to say. At first it will seem like you have the Grand Canyon to fill. I started my marriage with a second hand GE Monitor fridge. For those of you who are too young, Untitled Document

It had a small freezer for the two ice trays and that was it for freezer room. In the winter I didn't make ice cubes, instead kept small packages of meat in there. When I got my first fridge with a separate freezer on top, I polished and waxed the outside every week faithfully. I wouldn't let the kids leave any fingerprints on it. Spill something on the inside and I would go ballistic. That lasted about six months. By then it seemed too small for all the foods I wanted to buy but didn't have the room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Not keeping an old refrigerator constantly plugged in will really suck whatever life is left in it, every time it's plugged back in. I hope it's not so old to have the old latch that trapped children playing "hide and go seek". Shudder, I'm old enough to remember those horror days with empty old refrigerators.
In this state it is illegal to have one of them. And when you put one out to the curb for pickup, even though it may have a magnetic door, you have to remove the door. If a child were to be inside with the door closed, they may panic and not be able to figure which side the door is on.

Many years ago I was walking and spotted a fridge with the door on at the curb. I was all set to call the authorities when a car going by stopped and a man jumped out. He didn't have the tools to remove the door so he knocked it over so that the door was face down on the sidewalk. When I got to my house I called the police to let them know. I'd hate to be the one they fined for that stupidity. The last I heard more than 25 years ago you got a big fine and/or jail time.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:10 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Oh dear heart. We is talking about active use refrigerators.

Stop clubbing dead seals. or small children. or some-such.

I like having a small use Freezer in the basement which I replaced when the upright went kaplooey.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #16
Executive Chef

We have never had more than 1 refrigerator. My son has 3 and on shopping day they are all packed to capacity. And there is only 2 adults and 1 toddler in the house!