"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: Do you like DST? In your post please explain why.
Strongly like it!!! 8 44.44%
Like it 3 16.67%
Neutral 2 11.11%
Dislike it 4 22.22%
Hate it!!! 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2012, 11:05 PM   #41
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I don't care where they set the clock, I just wish they'd leave it there.

Furthermore I'd like to switch to 24 hour time instead of AM/PM, but the civilians wouldn't like that. (Nevermind that I haven't been in the military.) I'll be just as happy to meet you at 1700 for drinks...

And I'd rather switch to UTC (Greenwich mean time, GMT) except that it has the obvious problem of not knowing what day it is. (For example it's a new day on the west coast at about 7 or 8 p.m.--depending on DST--so it would cause a disjoint between time and day of the week everywhere except near London--the demarcation of 0000 GMT/UTC.

I just want one time we can all agree upon. All these conversions are driving me crazy.

While we're at it I wish the US could go metric. It's crazy to have all these conversions...
While you're at it, how about having all countries drive on the same side of the road. And hold their forks in their left hands throughout the meal.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #42
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
While you're at it, how about having all countries drive on the same side of the road. And hold their forks in their left hands throughout the meal.
I'll be willing to switch to whatever side of the road the majority agrees upon.

Not so sure about the forks. I think some people would need brain operations... You know, separate the hemispheres and all that...

Old 03-11-2012, 11:56 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Old 03-12-2012, 12:03 AM   #44
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I'll be willing to switch to whatever side of the road the majority agrees upon.

Not so sure about the forks. I think some people would need brain operations... You know, separate the hemispheres and all that...
I can eat with either hand...as long as you don't expect me to use a utensil.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:09 AM   #45
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That reminds me of one of the best things about the Southwest: Indian time!

Many of them--and I while I'm camping--don't use any clocks at all other than the sun.

You wanna know when dinner is? Let's just serve it "one hand" before sunset. One hand is the width of your hand held against the sun and the horizon. It's one hand until sunset when the width of your hand held at arm's length is exactly the distance between sun and horizon.

I think we could learn a lot from our Native Americans.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:40 AM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I can eat with either hand...as long as you don't expect me to use a utensil.
Isn't getting it out of the firepit a bit difficult though?
Old 03-12-2012, 07:09 AM   #47
Master Chef

Quote:
I don't care where they set the clock, I just wish they'd leave it there.

Furthermore I'd like to switch to 24 hour time instead of AM/PM, but the civilians wouldn't like that. (Nevermind that I haven't been in the military.) I'll be just as happy to meet you at 1700 for drinks...
Well, be in Galena at 1700 any Friday!

I really do not like the back and forth. I lived in Hawaii for years and I didn't miss it one bit. Except when I had to send messages around the world and had to remember who was on DST and who wasn't. I was totally confused when I woke yesterday morning and remembered we had a noon brunch, and when the heck is that?

I don't know if it is still the same, but when I was a kid living in Germany, the Europeans all used the 24 hour clock. So it wasn't a strictly "military" thing (yes, I'm from a military family).

My mom has always accused me (joke, folks) of being a left-handed European, and how in the heck did I get that way. I'm definitely right handed, but don't do the switching back and forth that most USA people do. Fork in right hand, knife in left. Don't ask me where and how I picked that one up. Comes from living a lot of different places, I guess.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:19 AM   #48
Master Chef

Oh, here's another one. My husband and I were on the road for three years, in a pickup truck, our two dogs, and a trailer. We were in Arizona, set up camp, ran our dogs, put them back to bed, and went to the Copper Queen for an early lunch and drinks, thinking it was 11 a.m., a reasonable hour (or at least we so thought). We walked in, and the bartender said, "Do you know what time it is?" it was 10 a.m. Huh? AZ doesn't do DST. We had no idea what time it was. The hotel manager came down and said, "Aw, go ahead, serve them, you're here anyway."

In those years, Indiana was a real p-i-a. I don't know if they still do it, but some towns do DST and some don't. We'd pull up and check in to a camp ground and I'd ask what time it was. They'd act like I was an idiot. Well, it was 3 p.m. 15 minutes ago, is it 3:15 p.m. now? No it isn't.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
My mom has always accused me (joke, folks) of being a left-handed European, and how in the heck did I get that way. I'm definitely right handed, but don't do the switching back and forth that most USA people do. Fork in right hand, knife in left. Don't ask me where and how I picked that one up. Comes from living a lot of different places, I guess.
Many years ago I was watching a WWII movie It was about an OSS agent who had just been trained and was on his first assignment. One of the things they taught him was the Euopean was of eating. DON'T SWTCH YOUR FORK BACK TO YOUR RIGHT HAND! Sure enough he was in a restaurant that had German soldiers there and they noticed that he switched his fork. Yup, they got him.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
My parents were European, so that's why I learned to eat without switching my fork back and forth. I lived in Europe and got used to 24 hour time. In Denmark, at least, most people speak 12 hour time and write 24 hour time. We use both here in Quebec, but if it's a bus schedule, or the sign on a shop door with the open hours, etc., it will be in 24 hour time. I prefer 24 hour time. I also prefer the Quebec/Swedish/Japanese standard for writing the date: year-month-day. It's logical. They are in descending order of the size of the unit. It's easy for computer programs to use. If I use a four digit year, almost everyone knows what I mean right away. Today is 2012-03-12.