Oh no! Daylight Saving Time!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you like DST? In your post please explain why.

• Strongly like it!!!

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Like it

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Neutral

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Dislike it

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Hate it!!!

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't care where they set the clock, I just wish they'd leave it there.

Furthermore I'd like to switch to 24 hour time instead of AM/PM, but the civilians wouldn't like that. (Nevermind that I haven't been in the military.) I'll be just as happy to meet you at 1700 for drinks...

And I'd rather switch to UTC (Greenwich mean time, GMT) except that it has the obvious problem of not knowing what day it is. (For example it's a new day on the west coast at about 7 or 8 p.m.--depending on DST--so it would cause a disjoint between time and day of the week everywhere except near London--the demarcation of 0000 GMT/UTC.

I just want one time we can all agree upon. All these conversions are driving me crazy.

While we're at it I wish the US could go metric. It's crazy to have all these conversions...

While you're at it, how about having all countries drive on the same side of the road. And hold their forks in their left hands throughout the meal.

While you're at it, how about having all countries drive on the same side of the road. And hold their forks in their left hands throughout the meal.

I'll be willing to switch to whatever side of the road the majority agrees upon.

Not so sure about the forks. I think some people would need brain operations... You know, separate the hemispheres and all that...

418472_10150670432547431_376190847430_9243352_44371042_n.jpg

I'll be willing to switch to whatever side of the road the majority agrees upon.

Not so sure about the forks. I think some people would need brain operations... You know, separate the hemispheres and all that...

I can eat with either hand...as long as you don't expect me to use a utensil.

That reminds me of one of the best things about the Southwest: Indian time!

Many of them--and I while I'm camping--don't use any clocks at all other than the sun.

You wanna know when dinner is? Let's just serve it "one hand" before sunset. One hand is the width of your hand held against the sun and the horizon. It's one hand until sunset when the width of your hand held at arm's length is exactly the distance between sun and horizon.

I think we could learn a lot from our Native Americans.

I don't care where they set the clock, I just wish they'd leave it there.

Furthermore I'd like to switch to 24 hour time instead of AM/PM, but the civilians wouldn't like that. (Nevermind that I haven't been in the military.) I'll be just as happy to meet you at 1700 for drinks...

Well, be in Galena at 1700 any Friday!

I really do not like the back and forth. I lived in Hawaii for years and I didn't miss it one bit. Except when I had to send messages around the world and had to remember who was on DST and who wasn't. I was totally confused when I woke yesterday morning and remembered we had a noon brunch, and when the heck is that?

I don't know if it is still the same, but when I was a kid living in Germany, the Europeans all used the 24 hour clock. So it wasn't a strictly "military" thing (yes, I'm from a military family).

My mom has always accused me (joke, folks) of being a left-handed European, and how in the heck did I get that way. I'm definitely right handed, but don't do the switching back and forth that most USA people do. Fork in right hand, knife in left. Don't ask me where and how I picked that one up. Comes from living a lot of different places, I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, here's another one. My husband and I were on the road for three years, in a pickup truck, our two dogs, and a trailer. We were in Arizona, set up camp, ran our dogs, put them back to bed, and went to the Copper Queen for an early lunch and drinks, thinking it was 11 a.m., a reasonable hour (or at least we so thought). We walked in, and the bartender said, "Do you know what time it is?" it was 10 a.m. Huh? AZ doesn't do DST. We had no idea what time it was. The hotel manager came down and said, "Aw, go ahead, serve them, you're here anyway."

In those years, Indiana was a real p-i-a. I don't know if they still do it, but some towns do DST and some don't. We'd pull up and check in to a camp ground and I'd ask what time it was. They'd act like I was an idiot. Well, it was 3 p.m. 15 minutes ago, is it 3:15 p.m. now? No it isn't.

My mom has always accused me (joke, folks) of being a left-handed European, and how in the heck did I get that way. I'm definitely right handed, but don't do the switching back and forth that most USA people do. Fork in right hand, knife in left. Don't ask me where and how I picked that one up. Comes from living a lot of different places, I guess.

Many years ago I was watching a WWII movie It was about an OSS agent who had just been trained and was on his first assignment. One of the things they taught him was the Euopean was of eating. DON'T SWTCH YOUR FORK BACK TO YOUR RIGHT HAND! Sure enough he was in a restaurant that had German soldiers there and they noticed that he switched his fork. Yup, they got him. :ohmy:

Last edited by a moderator:
My parents were European, so that's why I learned to eat without switching my fork back and forth. I lived in Europe and got used to 24 hour time. In Denmark, at least, most people speak 12 hour time and write 24 hour time. We use both here in Quebec, but if it's a bus schedule, or the sign on a shop door with the open hours, etc., it will be in 24 hour time. I prefer 24 hour time. I also prefer the Quebec/Swedish/Japanese standard for writing the date: year-month-day. It's logical. They are in descending order of the size of the unit. It's easy for computer programs to use. If I use a four digit year, almost everyone knows what I mean right away. Today is 2012-03-12.

It lasts too long. This morning little kids were waiting for their school bus in the dark. It was better with the original schedule. Then everyone could be happy.

I'm in the "like" camp.

When I was a kid, during the summer months, the last thing my parents would say whenever my brother and I went outside to play after dinner was "make sure you are home by dark." Well, thanks to DST, "dark" was an hour later.

And as an adult, I enjoy spending time on our patio and deck during the summer, as well as putzing around the yard after dinner.

So that extra hour of daylight doesn't bother me one bit.

My parents were European, so that's why I learned to eat without switching my fork back and forth. I lived in Europe and got used to 24 hour time. In Denmark, at least, most people speak 12 hour time and write 24 hour time. We use both here in Quebec, but if it's a bus schedule, or the sign on a shop door with the open hours, etc., it will be in 24 hour time. I prefer 24 hour time. I also prefer the Quebec/Swedish/Japanese standard for writing the date: year-month-day. It's logical. They are in descending order of the size of the unit. It's easy for computer programs to use. If I use a four digit year, almost everyone knows what I mean right away. Today is 2012-03-12.

In the early days of computers, when I worked in the military, it was always year/month/day, because the computer could sort it more easily. In other words, my birthday of 5th of March, 1955 was 550305. My little gray cells to this day have to sort back to the "normal" way of doing things. yr/mo/day just makes more sense.

I'm in the "like" camp.

When I was a kid, during the summer months, the last thing my parents would say whenever my brother and I went outside to play after dinner was "make sure you are home by dark." Well, thanks to DST, "dark" was an hour later.

And as an adult, I enjoy spending time on our patio and deck during the summer, as well as putzing around the yard after dinner.

So that extra hour of daylight doesn't bother me one bit.

I, too, loved it when I was a child, and had the same parental rule. But my insomnia as an adult gets thrown off. I don't dislike DST, I just wish we could forget the changeover.

In the early days of computers, when I worked in the military, it was always year/month/day, because the computer could sort it more easily. In other words, my birthday of 5th of March, 1955 was 550305. My little gray cells to this day have to sort back to the "normal" way of doing things. yr/mo/day just makes more sense.

A two digit year for your date of birth works, but until at least 2031, it's much less confusing to use a four digit year. What the heck date is 12-10-11? The 11th of October 2012? The 10th of December 2011? the 12th of October 2011? Depending on where you are, it could be any of those. On a Canadian cash register receipt, it could be any of those. Drives me buggy when I'm doing a client's bookkeeping from their receipts.

It just tells you how old I am that when I was in the workforce no one was thinking of the new millenium. I mean no one thought that 55 meant anything but 1955. No one was alive who was born in 1855, and nobody really thought of 2055.

One thing people don't think of as well is that days are longer in the summer and shorter in the winter, the further north you live. My husband and I were surprised that, living in Hawaii, with no DST, the days seemed the same length all year round. Here, and we're not THAT far north, the days seem to go on forever in the summer and are depressingly short in the winters.

In a week or two, my insomnia will start to adjust itself, and I'll be waking at 3 a.m. again.

Daylight Savings Time Changes In EU Next Wkend

We are still on Winter clock here ... dark in early am and light until 19.30 hrs. more or less ...

I prefer Daylight Savings, summer clock as I love the long hours of sunlight. I dislike having to change the mobile phone ( cellular ), the tablet and the computer at 2 apartments and the office. Plus my watches. PAIN.

China and several countries in Asia do not change their clocks.

Good question.
Margi.

A two digit year for your date of birth works, but until at least 2031, it's much less confusing to use a four digit year. What the heck date is 12-10-11? The 11th of October 2012? The 10th of December 2011? the 12th of October 2011? Depending on where you are, it could be any of those. On a Canadian cash register receipt, it could be any of those. Drives me buggy when I'm doing a client's bookkeeping from their receipts.

Not that sure how relevant my reply is, but I often archive work files (work iin progress) and I use a format {file name}-yyyy-mm-dd-hhhh.{file extension} such as myfile-2012-03-12-1920.txt (or whatever file extension). It makes it very easy to track which files are what since my Windoze lists them as earliest first, latest last, so I can easily keep the versions sorted.

Not that sure how relevant my reply is, but I often archive work files (work iin progress) and I use a format {file name}-yyyy-mm-dd-hhhh.{file extension} such as myfile-2012-03-12-1920.txt (or whatever file extension). It makes it very easy to track which files are what since my Windoze lists them as earliest first, latest last, so I can easily keep the versions sorted.

When you name them that way, you can sort by name in Windog and it will put them in the right order. Or, you could have them in descending order and have the newest ones first. In the explorer window, you can choose how to sort.

Yeah that what I meant. Sometimes the file dates are not relevant, particularly folder (= directory) dates. Names are always relevant because you can pick them. And importantly, you can change them if you want to or need to. If you leave it up to automatic Winblows dates you get what they give you, whether you need/like/want it or not.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom