"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: Do you like DST? In your post please explain why.
Strongly like it!!! 8 44.44%
Like it 3 16.67%
Neutral 2 11.11%
Dislike it 4 22.22%
Hate it!!! 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #51
Head Chef

It lasts too long. This morning little kids were waiting for their school bus in the dark. It was better with the original schedule. Then everyone could be happy.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #52
Wine Guy

I'm in the "like" camp.

When I was a kid, during the summer months, the last thing my parents would say whenever my brother and I went outside to play after dinner was "make sure you are home by dark." Well, thanks to DST, "dark" was an hour later.

And as an adult, I enjoy spending time on our patio and deck during the summer, as well as putzing around the yard after dinner.

So that extra hour of daylight doesn't bother me one bit.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #53
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
My parents were European, so that's why I learned to eat without switching my fork back and forth. I lived in Europe and got used to 24 hour time. In Denmark, at least, most people speak 12 hour time and write 24 hour time. We use both here in Quebec, but if it's a bus schedule, or the sign on a shop door with the open hours, etc., it will be in 24 hour time. I prefer 24 hour time. I also prefer the Quebec/Swedish/Japanese standard for writing the date: year-month-day. It's logical. They are in descending order of the size of the unit. It's easy for computer programs to use. If I use a four digit year, almost everyone knows what I mean right away. Today is 2012-03-12.
In the early days of computers, when I worked in the military, it was always year/month/day, because the computer could sort it more easily. In other words, my birthday of 5th of March, 1955 was 550305. My little gray cells to this day have to sort back to the "normal" way of doing things. yr/mo/day just makes more sense.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #54
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I'm in the "like" camp.

When I was a kid, during the summer months, the last thing my parents would say whenever my brother and I went outside to play after dinner was "make sure you are home by dark." Well, thanks to DST, "dark" was an hour later.

And as an adult, I enjoy spending time on our patio and deck during the summer, as well as putzing around the yard after dinner.

So that extra hour of daylight doesn't bother me one bit.
I, too, loved it when I was a child, and had the same parental rule. But my insomnia as an adult gets thrown off. I don't dislike DST, I just wish we could forget the changeover.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
In the early days of computers, when I worked in the military, it was always year/month/day, because the computer could sort it more easily. In other words, my birthday of 5th of March, 1955 was 550305. My little gray cells to this day have to sort back to the "normal" way of doing things. yr/mo/day just makes more sense.
A two digit year for your date of birth works, but until at least 2031, it's much less confusing to use a four digit year. What the heck date is 12-10-11? The 11th of October 2012? The 10th of December 2011? the 12th of October 2011? Depending on where you are, it could be any of those. On a Canadian cash register receipt, it could be any of those. Drives me buggy when I'm doing a client's bookkeeping from their receipts.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #56
Master Chef

It just tells you how old I am that when I was in the workforce no one was thinking of the new millenium. I mean no one thought that 55 meant anything but 1955. No one was alive who was born in 1855, and nobody really thought of 2055.

One thing people don't think of as well is that days are longer in the summer and shorter in the winter, the further north you live. My husband and I were surprised that, living in Hawaii, with no DST, the days seemed the same length all year round. Here, and we're not THAT far north, the days seem to go on forever in the summer and are depressingly short in the winters.

In a week or two, my insomnia will start to adjust itself, and I'll be waking at 3 a.m. again.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #57
Executive Chef

Daylight Savings Time Changes In EU Next Wkend

We are still on Winter clock here ... dark in early am and light until 19.30 hrs. more or less ...

I prefer Daylight Savings, summer clock as I love the long hours of sunlight. I dislike having to change the mobile phone ( cellular ), the tablet and the computer at 2 apartments and the office. Plus my watches. PAIN.

China and several countries in Asia do not change their clocks.

Good question.
Margi.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #58
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
A two digit year for your date of birth works, but until at least 2031, it's much less confusing to use a four digit year. What the heck date is 12-10-11? The 11th of October 2012? The 10th of December 2011? the 12th of October 2011? Depending on where you are, it could be any of those. On a Canadian cash register receipt, it could be any of those. Drives me buggy when I'm doing a client's bookkeeping from their receipts.
Not that sure how relevant my reply is, but I often archive work files (work iin progress) and I use a format {file name}-yyyy-mm-dd-hhhh.{file extension} such as myfile-2012-03-12-1920.txt (or whatever file extension). It makes it very easy to track which files are what since my Windoze lists them as earliest first, latest last, so I can easily keep the versions sorted.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Not that sure how relevant my reply is, but I often archive work files (work iin progress) and I use a format {file name}-yyyy-mm-dd-hhhh.{file extension} such as myfile-2012-03-12-1920.txt (or whatever file extension). It makes it very easy to track which files are what since my Windoze lists them as earliest first, latest last, so I can easily keep the versions sorted.
When you name them that way, you can sort by name in Windog and it will put them in the right order. Or, you could have them in descending order and have the newest ones first. In the explorer window, you can choose how to sort.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:49 PM   #60
Executive Chef

Yeah that what I meant. Sometimes the file dates are not relevant, particularly folder (= directory) dates. Names are always relevant because you can pick them. And importantly, you can change them if you want to or need to. If you leave it up to automatic Winblows dates you get what they give you, whether you need/like/want it or not.