Oh noez, I'm getting married! (countdown thread)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gosh, Dove, I was born exactly 9 months after my parents married, too, and my dad served in the Korean and Viet Nam war. He's gone like your hubby too and he was such a brave man. Your post brings tears......

My first baby was born 8 months after the wedding. We truly were virgins until the marriage though, he was just 4 weeks early. It's a great family joke though. ;)

Best wishes to you and your fiancee, Matt :) DH and I will celebrate 24 years in June - jeez, where did the time go?

Here's an idea: Get a dog. Then, instead of plopping down in front of the TV, take the dog and your new wife for a walk after work and talk over how your days went. DH and I do that a lot. We also go biking around the neighborhood together. Sometimes he has to ride rings around me, because I see it as touring while he's more into racing ;) but it's all good.

BTW, DH was a weatherman in the Navy - he never believes a forecast more than 2-3 days out. Good luck to you both.

hey, what's this anti-tv crapola? :)

lol, geez, when women smell the blood of comittment, they go for the kill, huh?

yeah, that's it. get a dog. like you won't have enough honey-do things to do around the house.

Haha...I already have a huge list of honey-dos. I don't want any pets when we have a baby in a few years. I'd like to go on some awesome vacations first, buy a house, and become more financially stable before we have a baby...so it's going to be a while! But when it does happen, no pets! Babies are difficult enough on their own!

3 days, 6 hours, 38 minutes! :D

hey, what's this anti-tv crapola? :)

lol, geez, when women smell the blood of comittment, they go for the kill, huh?

yeah, that's it. get a dog. like you won't have enough honey-do things to do around the house.

smiliebleh7qp.gif

Just trying to suggest ways they can spend more quality time together, at Matt himself said he wanted to do:

We don't make enough time to enjoy life together - so busy with so much that in our free time we just plop down in front of the TV. It's awful and I hate it, and I'm going to do something about it after the wedding when things become less hectic. We need to get out of this apartment more!

Not that watching TV together is always a bad thing, but when the weather's nice, DH and I like to get outside and do things together - walking, biking, gardening. And of course, living in a 98-year-old house, he's got a *serious* list of honey-dos

tfr612ix4.gif

... instead of plopping down in front of the TV, take ... your new wife for a walk after work and talk over how your days went. ....

Talk !?!?!?

Are you CRAZY?!

:rolleyes:

Wife (office worker) comes home and make sounds about her day, same sounds day after day. After Day. I do listen a little to hear a different sound, if something sounds different I'll listen ... for a little bit. If I actually listened I would be tempted to interact. I've listened before. It's driven me nuts. Same noise, day after day, after day, SOMETHING NEW! Nope, same noise with a twist.

Took me a long time to learn how to look like I was interested while 90% of my mind is off somewhere else.

As many married people will tell you , that's what you need to do. Just sort of listen. Not completely ignoring Spouse, Listening just enough to ask a pertinent question on occasion. It's a delicate balance. For the most part that's all a spouse needs, and more importantly, that's all they want.

Except on a day like yesterday.

Wife comes home and I know immediately something is wrong. The little boy in me wonders what I've done wrong or didn't do. I cautiously probe .... WHEW! They promoted X to assistant office manager, Boy am I glad I washed the cats litter boxes.

(No, Wife didn't want the position, couldn't have had the position even if she did want it (retires with 30 years in 181 days, but who's counting?))

Wife now has 100% of my attention. I did those things needed done to help my best friends hurt go away.

I called Wife this morning. No o ne in the office is happy, What was the "Big Boss" thinking???? Why X seems to be the common question. I point out how, though Wife can now look forward to doing MORE of X's work and Wife is getting screwed Wife is by no means the one getting it the hardest. Wife should have pity for Wifes immediate boss .... 181 days dear, your short timing. Watch the situation and be amused.

But LISTEN? TALK??!! Are you CRAZY? That will drive you NUTS!

BTW, DH was a weatherman in the Navy - he never believes a forecast more than 2-3 days out. Good luck to you both.

weather.gov / NOAA is pretty good.

The rest tell you what you want to hear, if at all possible they hold to the 'Better weather is 4 days away' forecast.

Last edited:
Talk !?!?!?

Are you CRAZY?!

:rolleyes:

Wife (office worker) comes home and make sounds about her day, same sounds day after day. After Day. I do listen a little to hear a different sound, if something sounds different I'll listen ... for a little bit. If I actually listened I would be tempted to interact. I've listened before. It's driven me nuts. Same noise, day after day, after day, SOMETHING NEW! Nope, same noise with a twist.

Took me a long time to learn how to look like I was interested while 90% of my mind is off somewhere else.

As many married people will tell you , that's what you need to do. Just sort of listen. Not completely ignoring Spouse, Listening just enough to ask a pertinent question on occasion. It's a delicate balance. For the most part that's all a spouse needs, and more importantly, that's all they want.

Well, whatever works :ermm: That wouldn't work for me, though.

wart, what the he!! are you doing!!!!!! ix-nay on the istening-lay!

don't give 'em our playbook. geez, you must be a patriots fan.
:-p

i hear what you're saying about hearing the same ol' crap day after day, but that's part of being a good hubby. the delicate balance is not about when to pay attention, but when to give your opinion versus when to just listen. the hard part is the former, not the latter, but it's forunate that those are rare occasions. :)
when the planets align and advice is requested, you want to be supportive even when they're wrong about some issue. but you can't go against her or you just add to the frustrations, so diplomacy is the key in those very few situations.

often diplomacy means just asking dumb questions to help her talk it out.

(how'd i do, ladies? huh? :cool:)

ok, matt. i've told this before here, but it bears repeating.

on the morning of their 20th wedding anniversary, a woman woke up to find her hubby missing from bed. she went downstairs and saw him sobbing on the couch.
when she asked him what was wrong, he said "honey, do you remember the day we were married, when your dad held a shotgun to my back and said i had to marry you or go to jail?"

the woman replied "well, yes, of course i do, honey".

the man whimpered back "well, i would have gotten out today..."
:(
BWAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA

one more.

a guy went to the cemetery to buy a burial plot for himself and his family. as he was walking through the graveyard to get to the office, he noticed a man crying, pounding on a tombstone repeating "why did you die, you bastid!! why did you die, you bastid!!!!"

after the guy came out, the sobbing man was still repeating his plea, so the guy went over to comfort him. when asked about the deceased, the man said that he never new him, but once again repeated "why did you die, you bastid."

the guy, now very confused, asked the crying man to explain how he could be so broken up about a person he never new.

the man replied, "it was my wife's first husband..."

Wouldn't work for you?

!

Why not?

I'm not impressed by this:

Don't do me any favors, sweetheart. If you're not interested in what I have to say, be bold enough to tell me, so I can find someone else who is.

I am impressed by this:

i hear what you're saying about hearing the same ol' crap day after day, but that's part of being a good hubby. the delicate balance is not about when to pay attention, but when to give your opinion versus when to just listen. the hard part is the former, not the latter, but it's forunate that those are rare occasions. :)
when the planets align and advice is requested, you want to be supportive even when they're wrong about some issue. but you can't go against her or you just add to the frustrations, so diplomacy is the key in those very few situations.

often diplomacy means just asking dumb questions to help her talk it out.

(how'd i do, ladies? huh? :cool:)

You have a way with words, BT. Your wife is a lucky woman. I hope Matt's listening, but I have a feeling he's a bit busy at the moment ... :cool:

Last edited:
Garlic, you put the words right in my mouth! I think communication is extremely important in marriage and one of the best ways to keep it healthy and happy.

I'm not impressed by this:

Don't do me any favors, sweetheart. If you're not interested in what I have to say, be bold enough to tell me, so I can find someone else who is.

Ouch, That Hurt ..... Your Mean!!! Sniff.

LMAO!!!!

Let me take a guess, as you were reading what I wrote you came to understand the Glazed Look in your SOs eyes as you prattle on about your day .... ;)

I guess it's a good thing I married a strong woman and not some needy little girl.

Seems not everyone can say the same.

Ouch, That Hurt ..... Your Mean!!! Sniff.

LMAO!!!!

Let me take a guess, as you were reading what I wrote you came to understand the Glazed Look in your SOs eyes as you prattle on about your day .... ;)

Clearly you haven't met my DH of almost 24 years.

I guess it's a good thing I married a strong woman and not some needy little girl.

Seems not everyone can say the same.

Please ... if you think you can make a judgment like that based on a few posts in an online forum ... well, I think this thread has been hijacked enough. See ya around.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom