Oh noez, I'm getting married! (countdown thread)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:ermm:Buckeytom and Wart..please come to my "office"
as soon as possible...

Now you all know who the last people to see the inside of my new woodshed are..:LOL:

I think the social skills that both Wart and BT talked about are valuable to hone, and not at all gender-specific. Nor is the tendency to complain repetitively gender-specific.

The ability to be JUST a sounding board to someone who needs to talk, without offering suggestions, solutions, arguments, etc. is one that I've had to practice over the years with family and friends, many of whom say the same things over and over and over .... This skill does allow my mind to go off elsewhere.

Every couple of years, I get caught "wandering" and a loved one will say "Hey, what did I just say?" (oops), but most of the time, their "tape" keeps going and I nod appropriately, and we're both happy.

It's a different story when the talker wants conversation, .i.e., wants me to answer and is willing to listen to my answer. That's SO much more fun!

Lee

I think the social skills that both Wart and BT talked about are valuable to hone, and not at all gender-specific. Nor is the tendency to complain repetitively gender-specific.

The ability to be JUST a sounding board to someone who needs to talk, without offering suggestions, solutions, arguments, etc. is one that I've had to practice over the years with family and friends, many of whom say the same things over and over and over .... This skill does allow my mind to go off elsewhere.

Every couple of years, I get caught "wandering" and a loved one will say "Hey, what did I just say?" (oops), but most of the time, their "tape" keeps going and I nod appropriately, and we're both happy.

It's a different story when the talker wants conversation, .i.e., wants me to answer and is willing to listen to my answer. That's SO much more fun!

Lee
I'm so glad to hear you say this, Lee. I was thinkin' I'm the only female who does this since it's always a joke about husbands who don't really listen.

What you said about being a sounding board is sooo true. (Although I call it a pi***** post.) This is something people value in a friend or spouse or parent etc. They don't or need want advice. They don't want someone to fix it. They just want to vent. OK. I can be their sounding board. And because I'm willing to do it, it happens a lot. But I do admit to having a whole other train of thought going on often times. I try not to but it's hard. There are only so many hours in the day and I automatically multitask.

I've always thought that the people that are venting are aware that they may not have my complete attention. But since they just need to talk out loud to someone, it's not a problem. Maybe I'm wrong.

Of course, this is different than when someone really needs to talk about something. I've tried to train my family to say "Do you have a minute? This is important." That way I get the heads up that they need my undivided attention.

Is it just me and Lee?

Congratulations. DH and I ha our families planning a huge wedding with all the bells on, an we felt our choices were being ignored and planned over....so, having got our licences etc a year before the planned date, the registrar told us she had a cancellation two weeks later. we didn't tell any one until the day before, and then just slipped off to get marrie quietly and together. I felt pretty bad for our fmilies, but I think it was the right choice for us!

Hve a great day, enjoy it, and remember, its about YOU two!

Congratulations Matt, I hope the two of you have many wonderful years together! :flowers:

Hello! I'm home from the honeymoon! It was INCREDIBLE! The wedding ceremony could not have been any better, either. Over the coming days I'll start getting pictures uploaded, so check back often starting Monday!

I'm not going to be sappy here but do appreciate these idyllic days.......I don't think that many guys would have had the joie d' vive to have posted their exhuberance at their approaching marriage like you did and it's refreshing to see.......you must be doing something right......always love her more than yourself and you'll do just fine........learned that in a Social Study Marriage & Family Class.....the prof was wonderful........hang in there.........

Congrats Matt. My grandmother gave me the following sound and advice:

Trust, communication and compromise are the best assets a married couple can have.

and

Never let the sun go down on an argument.

I have kept to that advice and DH and I have been married for 5 years with lots more to come.

Congrats!!

And make sure, when the rug rats do come along, you don't get lost in them.

MAKE TIME FOR YOURSELVES AT ANY COST!!!

You won't regret it, but you will regret not making the time later on. And capture as much on film as possible, savor every moment they fly by, and never be afraid to apologize even if you are positive you are right. No argument is worth proving you are right...

Good luck!!

congrats matt.

ignore all of the advice given by women here, unless you want to be the wife. ;) with what you've posted, i think you'll be fine if you trust yourself and your feelings (and don't screw things up by thinking anyone else's grass looks greener. ). good luck and god bless your marriage.

lol mav. on film? mpeg, mpeg2, mpeg4, quicktime, avi, avchd, divx, dv, wmv, ...

it's all about compression. sort of like marriage. :cool: the ack being "yes dear".

btw, expatty, a great sense of humor can make up for a huge asset, for both goose and gander...:)

congrats matt.

ignore all of the advice given by women here, unless you want to be the wife. ;) with what you've posted, i think you'll be fine if you trust yourself and your feelings (and don't screw things up by thinking anyone else's grass looks greener. ). good luck and god bless your marriage.

lol mav. on film? mpeg, mpeg2, mpeg4, quicktime, avi, avchd, divx, dv, wmv, ...

it's all about compression. sort of like marriage. :cool: the ack being "yes dear".

btw, expatty, a great sense of humor can make up for a huge asset, for both goose and gander...:)

Mine are .jpg for pics and mpeg4 for vids... Wait, was that TMI??:LOL:

Um, lets just say I have tons of family pics??;)

No pictures of the wife and I just yet...but here are two from the Bahamas to hold you over until then. The sunset picture is from the private Sandals island, and the other is a view from our room. :)

img_587314_0_d59e0d23eec34b0c478fd70192595af5.jpg

img_587314_1_33c2bf19d532d5ee703de7b3fc555f93.jpg

What lovely pictures, Matt! Ya'll picked a perfect place to start your new life together. I'm so happy for you and your bride (who we have yet to see, BTW. hint, hint).

Back
Top Bottom