"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-28-2008, 10:48 AM   #41
Master Chef

Getting married, eh?

Don't worry, there's nothing to it. I've done it three times.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:19 PM   #42
Master Chef

I have just a bit of advise, having been married for almost 30 years now. make sure that your wife is the most important person in your life, more important than are parents, freinds, dog, cats, hampsters, etc. And make sure that you are the most important person in her life.

In a great marriage, self becomes partnership. Also, if you love diving, and she loves diving as well, you will have something you can do together, and enjoy together for a long, long time. Find something, anything that both of you can do together.

Television can be evil. It can take up so much of your time that you forget to live life.

If children are going to be a part of the equation, make them an integral part of every day, and live your life the way you would like them to live theirs. Be the example.

Finally, take the time, every day, to find something positive about your partner, and give her something positive to find about you. Going to bed angry is a very bad thing. Go to bed loving, and looking forward to tomorrow.

When you immerse yourself into your family, then the rewards will outweigh any other thing you could possibly do in this life. Enjoy each other, and realize that every experience you have can be used for good, to enjoy, or to teach you something.

Marriage is so overwhelmingly enjoyable, if only both partners put forth the effort to truly give of themselves to each other.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the north

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:38 PM   #43
Sous Chef

That's great advice, GW!

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:39 PM   #44
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
I have just a bit of advise, having been married for almost 30 years now. make sure that your wife is the most important person in your life, more important than are parents, freinds, dog, cats, hampsters, etc. And make sure that you are the most important person in her life.

In a great marriage, self becomes partnership. Also, if you love diving, and she loves diving as well, you will have something you can do together, and enjoy together for a long, long time. Find something, anything that both of you can do together.

Television can be evil. It can take up so much of your time that you forget to live life.

If children are going to be a part of the equation, make them an integral part of every day, and live your life the way you would like them to live theirs. Be the example.

Finally, take the time, every day, to find something positive about your partner, and give her something positive to find about you. Going to bed angry is a very bad thing. Go to bed loving, and looking forward to tomorrow.

When you immerse yourself into your family, then the rewards will outweigh any other thing you could possibly do in this life. Enjoy each other, and realize that every experience you have can be used for good, to enjoy, or to teach you something.

Marriage is so overwhelmingly enjoyable, if only both partners put forth the effort to truly give of themselves to each other.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the north
So that is what I did wrong, I put the hamster first!
Old 03-29-2008, 06:06 AM   #45
Senior Cook

Great advice, Goodweed! We both love diving - but she can't dive due to sinus issues that can hopefully be repaired by surgery. We compromise by snorkeling, although I'm still allowed to dive on my own from time to time.

We don't make enough time to enjoy life together - so busy with so much that in our free time we just plop down in front of the TV. It's awful and I hate it, and I'm going to do something about it after the wedding when things become less hectic. We need to get out of this apartment more!
Old 03-29-2008, 06:20 AM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

don't listen to goodweed, matt. about tv that is. the rest is obvious, blah blah blah...

when i had to work a lot of evenings, so that my wife and i saw little of each other, one of the things we could share and talk about was the few tv shows that we both liked. it made the times when we made time to spoon together on the couch to catch the finale that much more special.

ok, advice:

happiness is what you make of it. or better said, you're as happy as you make your mind up to be. same goes for everyone. try to make it easy to see for those you care about.

and it's ok to go to bed angry, only if you both wake up realizing every day is a new day and everything can be worked out.

and yes, i admitted to spooning!

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:13 AM   #47
Senior Cook

Good advice as well, bucky! It's obvious that no matter what a couple does, a couple is only going to be as happy as they *want* to be, and only if they make the effort to do so.

HAHA...you admitted to spooning!

ok...it is nice though, isn't it?
Old 03-29-2008, 06:26 PM   #48
Master Chef

Ahem, men don't spoon. We safely and securely hold our loved ones while maintaining a manly stance at all times.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:18 PM   #49
Master Chef

Thank goodness you men know how to do a good job of letting your arms fall asleep and still hold on.......:)
Old 03-29-2008, 07:32 PM   #50
Head Chef

congrats on getting hitched .. my DW and i are nearing 10 years this year ..
she is and always has been my best friend ... the person is go to when
i need to vent, complain, cry, laugh and everything else ...
as i am to her (i think) ... remember .. communication is the key..
talk .. everyday ..