"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-01-2008, 02:26 PM   #61
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
Gosh, Dove, I was born exactly 9 months after my parents married, too, and my dad served in the Korean and Viet Nam war. He's gone like your hubby too and he was such a brave man. Your post brings tears......
My first baby was born 8 months after the wedding. We truly were virgins until the marriage though, he was just 4 weeks early. It's a great family joke though.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:31 PM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire

Best wishes to you and your fiancee, Matt DH and I will celebrate 24 years in June - jeez, where did the time go?

Here's an idea: Get a dog. Then, instead of plopping down in front of the TV, take the dog and your new wife for a walk after work and talk over how your days went. DH and I do that a lot. We also go biking around the neighborhood together. Sometimes he has to ride rings around me, because I see it as touring while he's more into racing but it's all good.

BTW, DH was a weatherman in the Navy - he never believes a forecast more than 2-3 days out. Good luck to you both.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:04 AM   #63
Chef Extraordinaire

hey, what's this anti-tv crapola?

lol, geez, when women smell the blood of comittment, they go for the kill, huh?

yeah, that's it. get a dog. like you won't have enough honey-do things to do around the house.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:58 AM   #64
Master Chef

well, Bucky, when you talk about getting dogs......(imagine a smiley whistling and looking to the skies).........
Old 04-02-2008, 07:21 AM   #65
Senior Cook

Haha...I already have a huge list of honey-dos. I don't want any pets when we have a baby in a few years. I'd like to go on some awesome vacations first, buy a house, and become more financially stable before we have a baby...so it's going to be a while! But when it does happen, no pets! Babies are difficult enough on their own!

3 days, 6 hours, 38 minutes! :D
Old 04-02-2008, 07:58 AM   #66
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
hey, what's this anti-tv crapola?

lol, geez, when women smell the blood of comittment, they go for the kill, huh?

yeah, that's it. get a dog. like you won't have enough honey-do things to do around the house.

Just trying to suggest ways they can spend more quality time together, at Matt himself said he wanted to do:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmac View Post
We don't make enough time to enjoy life together - so busy with so much that in our free time we just plop down in front of the TV. It's awful and I hate it, and I'm going to do something about it after the wedding when things become less hectic. We need to get out of this apartment more!
Not that watching TV together is always a bad thing, but when the weather's nice, DH and I like to get outside and do things together - walking, biking, gardening. And of course, living in a 98-year-old house, he's got a *serious* list of honey-dos

Old 04-02-2008, 12:57 PM   #67
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post

... instead of plopping down in front of the TV, take ... your new wife for a walk after work and talk over how your days went. ....

Talk !?!?!?

Are you CRAZY?!

Wife (office worker) comes home and make sounds about her day, same sounds day after day. After Day. I do listen a little to hear a different sound, if something sounds different I'll listen ... for a little bit. If I actually listened I would be tempted to interact. I've listened before. It's driven me nuts. Same noise, day after day, after day, SOMETHING NEW! Nope, same noise with a twist.

Took me a long time to learn how to look like I was interested while 90% of my mind is off somewhere else.

As many married people will tell you , that's what you need to do. Just sort of listen. Not completely ignoring Spouse, Listening just enough to ask a pertinent question on occasion. It's a delicate balance. For the most part that's all a spouse needs, and more importantly, that's all they want.

Except on a day like yesterday.

Wife comes home and I know immediately something is wrong. The little boy in me wonders what I've done wrong or didn't do. I cautiously probe .... WHEW! They promoted X to assistant office manager, Boy am I glad I washed the cats litter boxes.

(No, Wife didn't want the position, couldn't have had the position even if she did want it (retires with 30 years in 181 days, but who's counting?))

Wife now has 100% of my attention. I did those things needed done to help my best friends hurt go away.

I called Wife this morning. No o ne in the office is happy, What was the "Big Boss" thinking???? Why X seems to be the common question. I point out how, though Wife can now look forward to doing MORE of X's work and Wife is getting screwed Wife is by no means the one getting it the hardest. Wife should have pity for Wifes immediate boss .... 181 days dear, your short timing. Watch the situation and be amused.

But LISTEN? TALK??!! Are you CRAZY? That will drive you NUTS!

Quote:
BTW, DH was a weatherman in the Navy - he never believes a forecast more than 2-3 days out. Good luck to you both.

weather.gov / NOAA is pretty good.

The rest tell you what you want to hear, if at all possible they hold to the 'Better weather is 4 days away' forecast.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:12 PM   #68
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart View Post
Talk !?!?!?

Are you CRAZY?!

Wife (office worker) comes home and make sounds about her day, same sounds day after day. After Day. I do listen a little to hear a different sound, if something sounds different I'll listen ... for a little bit. If I actually listened I would be tempted to interact. I've listened before. It's driven me nuts. Same noise, day after day, after day, SOMETHING NEW! Nope, same noise with a twist.

Took me a long time to learn how to look like I was interested while 90% of my mind is off somewhere else.

As many married people will tell you , that's what you need to do. Just sort of listen. Not completely ignoring Spouse, Listening just enough to ask a pertinent question on occasion. It's a delicate balance. For the most part that's all a spouse needs, and more importantly, that's all they want.
Well, whatever works That wouldn't work for me, though.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:58 PM   #69
Sous Chef

Me either!

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:19 PM   #70
Sous Chef

Me either!!