"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-04-2008, 01:23 AM   #81
DC Grandma

Buckeytom and Wart..please come to my "office"
as soon as possible...

Now you all know who the last people to see the inside of my new woodshed are..

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:26 AM   #82
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dove View Post
Buckeytom and Wart..please come to my "office"
as soon as possible...

Now you all know who the last people to see the inside of my new woodshed are..
I was wondering when you would take these two by the ear!

Old 04-04-2008, 01:48 AM   #83
Chef Extraordinaire

what was that, marge? i wasn't listening.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:06 AM   #84
Head Chef

I think the social skills that both Wart and BT talked about are valuable to hone, and not at all gender-specific. Nor is the tendency to complain repetitively gender-specific.

The ability to be JUST a sounding board to someone who needs to talk, without offering suggestions, solutions, arguments, etc. is one that I've had to practice over the years with family and friends, many of whom say the same things over and over and over .... This skill does allow my mind to go off elsewhere.

Every couple of years, I get caught "wandering" and a loved one will say "Hey, what did I just say?" (oops), but most of the time, their "tape" keeps going and I nod appropriately, and we're both happy.

It's a different story when the talker wants conversation, .i.e., wants me to answer and is willing to listen to my answer. That's SO much more fun!

Lee
Old 04-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #85
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
I think the social skills that both Wart and BT talked about are valuable to hone, and not at all gender-specific. Nor is the tendency to complain repetitively gender-specific.

The ability to be JUST a sounding board to someone who needs to talk, without offering suggestions, solutions, arguments, etc. is one that I've had to practice over the years with family and friends, many of whom say the same things over and over and over .... This skill does allow my mind to go off elsewhere.

Every couple of years, I get caught "wandering" and a loved one will say "Hey, what did I just say?" (oops), but most of the time, their "tape" keeps going and I nod appropriately, and we're both happy.

It's a different story when the talker wants conversation, .i.e., wants me to answer and is willing to listen to my answer. That's SO much more fun!

Lee
I'm so glad to hear you say this, Lee. I was thinkin' I'm the only female who does this since it's always a joke about husbands who don't really listen.

What you said about being a sounding board is sooo true. (Although I call it a pi***** post.) This is something people value in a friend or spouse or parent etc. They don't or need want advice. They don't want someone to fix it. They just want to vent. OK. I can be their sounding board. And because I'm willing to do it, it happens a lot. But I do admit to having a whole other train of thought going on often times. I try not to but it's hard. There are only so many hours in the day and I automatically multitask.

I've always thought that the people that are venting are aware that they may not have my complete attention. But since they just need to talk out loud to someone, it's not a problem. Maybe I'm wrong.

Of course, this is different than when someone really needs to talk about something. I've tried to train my family to say "Do you have a minute? This is important." That way I get the heads up that they need my undivided attention.

Is it just me and Lee?
Old 04-04-2008, 02:12 PM   #86
Head Chef

Oh, and Matt?

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR WEDDING!!!

Lee
Old 04-04-2008, 02:17 PM   #87
Head Chef

Congratulations. DH and I ha our families planning a huge wedding with all the bells on, an we felt our choices were being ignored and planned over....so, having got our licences etc a year before the planned date, the registrar told us she had a cancellation two weeks later. we didn't tell any one until the day before, and then just slipped off to get marrie quietly and together. I felt pretty bad for our fmilies, but I think it was the right choice for us!

Hve a great day, enjoy it, and remember, its about YOU two!
Old 04-05-2008, 03:46 AM   #88
Head Chef

Congratulations Matt, I hope the two of you have many wonderful years together!
Old 04-13-2008, 07:09 AM   #89
Senior Cook

Hello! I'm home from the honeymoon! It was INCREDIBLE! The wedding ceremony could not have been any better, either. Over the coming days I'll start getting pictures uploaded, so check back often starting Monday!
Old 04-13-2008, 07:31 AM   #90
Executive Chef

Congratulations!! And welcome back!! Look forward to the photos.