Oh the torture!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
A month ago, I had a physical, at the urging of my other half, PeppA. She is concerned, because I'm about at the age my father was when he died of colon cancer.

2 weeks ago, I went in for the follow-up, to see what the results of the bloodwork and other tests were. Well, with one minor exception, I'm as healthy as a horse. The exception, however, is that I have an abnormal EKG. The doctor ordered a stress-test for me, to get a better idea of what is going on with my heart.

Last week, I went to the clinic where the test is held. They got me started, but, they had to shave 9 patches of hair off my torso (I'm a hairy one). Go ahead and laugh. Well, now, I ITCH!

PeppA and her mother both bent over double laughing for 5 minutes when they saw what had happened to me.

And no, there will be no pictures. I don't want to scare anyone.

I haven't gotten the results from the stress-test yet. Honestly, I'm not sure if I should even be worried, as my cholesterol is fine, blood sugar is fine, etc, etc. I wonder, however, since the nurse didn't shave me when they gave me the first EKG, could the hair have interferred with the electrodes, and given an abnormal reading?

I hope you suffer no worse effects than the present itching and looking funny from your tonsorial procedure. Best wishes! Good idea to get all that stuff done. DH and I both had our colonoscopies and everything was fine (well except for that yucky stuff you drink). A stitch in time!!!!!

Allen, I'm sure you're fine, healthy and strong, and God willing, your test will be ok, and I don't know beans about how hair affects electrodes..........but 9 patches of hair off your body....
img_303576_0_bc76f4175abc60a34ed9ef15c554810e.gif

AllenMI said:
... but, they had to shave 9 patches of hair off my torso (I'm a hairy one). Go ahead and laugh. Well, now, I ITCH!

Been there, done that, I itch in unison with you and my goodness that seems to last for WEEKS!!

Thing is, if they don't do it there's an irregular connection to the EKG.

Allen I feel for you. I really do. Do you have high blood pressure ?
If so that might be the reason for the abnormal ekg and stress tests.
Could mean you may have an enlarged heart.

Back 37 years ago when I had my first baby they shaved....oh....never mind....lol. Yes! I feel sorry for you! You young girls today don't know how lucky you are!

middie said:

:eek:

or it could be nothing. (geez middie, you're gonna give him a heart attack!!!)

allen, hope you fur up quickly. now you know how those fancy poodles feel.

didya ever see the "all in the family" episode where the nurse comes in to shave archie? it's a classic.
so don't despair. they coulda had to shave other parts...:ermm:

Have you had a colonoscopy yet Allen?????????????? What a blast that is. After trying to drink that gallon of 'STUFF" I was told the next day that some of the other doctors in the same group my doctor is in uses PILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! instead of hte liquid. Well, since 6 polyps were cut out I will have to have this done every 3 or 5 years now - I WILL USE THE PILLS or it will get UGLY around here - very ugly. I have also found that no matter what someone has to say about a colonoscopy it never "comes out right" - see what I mean? :ohmy:

THe colonoscopy itself was - uh, well, I don't remember since I was knocked out!!!! I'd "go" (see what I mean again????) for the pills. And it's nothing to "think" about - just "do it" (see, it happened again!!!!!!!!!).

Man - these people are totally insensitive aren't they???? Just when you think you have a few friends around to lift you up.

1.gif

Last edited:
middie said:

Blood pressure, cholesterol, sugar, kidney function, everything else came out OK. I just had an abnormal EKG the first time.

Glad to her you're right as rain. And by the way, what's right about rain anysay? I mean, if you need it to water the garden, or the farm, well then it's ok, even necessary. And it does keep my neck of the woods green and purdy. But what about wehn it's plenty moist, and you wanna grill something? Or you've jsut washed your car and everything becomes mud because of the rain, what's right about that? And then there's that rain that always falls on the night of 4rth of July fireworks.

Ha! Just foolin' around. I hope the itch quickly subsides. I know from when I first started growing my beard that groing hair can be an itchy kinda thing. I sympathize with ya old freind.

Besides, it can't be any fun for PeppA either when she tries to snuggle up to your sandpaper chest. Didja ever think about that? I didn't thinks so.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

ROFL! PeppA still laughs about it. What's worse, is that she told me Mom, and even she laughed about it. Right now, I make it a point to be sure and hide the camera until the small patches of fur grow back.

"Back 37 years ago when I had my first baby they shaved....oh....never mind....lol."

Oh KayLinda, that's exactly what I was thinking of when I read that!!! :LOL: :LOL: :(

My Dr. wanted to do a colonoscopy too. I said, "You want to shove what? Where? I don't think so!" He [the Dr.] has a terrible time with me. We argued for about a half hour [do too...do not...do too...] when he told me I had diabetes :LOL: He used to tell me "You are the nicest guy." Can't figure why he doesn't say that anymore..:huh:

Getting older is tough, sorry, but am there. And there are things you need to do to take care of yourself.

But colon cancer is a real threat and can be found very early.

We both had colonoscopies, and did it without the joy juice. We got to watch the whole thing on a TV screen.

It was a tad nasty but would do it again without the sedation.

One of us had a precancerous polyp, a big one. It was taken care of.

Just do it. It is a lot easier than colon cancer.

And if you do it early, no oncologist has to tell you what your odds of living for so many years is.

BJ you listen to Auntdot! I hope the Dr. finally convinced you that it is one of those things you have to do! Bob and I are due for ours this year, yes we do almost everything together.

Alan, I had a stress echo. a bunch of years ago after a blip on my ekg. The coolest part was watching my heart beat on the ultrasound thingy. The cardiologist couldn't figure out why I was there - passed with flying colors! I tried to tell the doctor I'd just had an argument with a customer, but he insisted, said it was urgent! It was so urgent it took 6 months to get in for the test!:cool:

auntdot said:

It was a tad nasty but would do it again without the sedation.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

wow, that's all i can say...

(and geez, don't mess with aunt dot!!!!)

lol, j/k, the rest of what you said was, well, well said.

especially "a colonoscopy is a lot easier than colon cancer".

a buddy of mine just went for his and told the doc he'd better not feel both of his hands on his hips... :)

btw, i'm going for my stress-echo later today, and a prostate exam later in the month. wish me luck.

Last edited:
Luck be with you, Bucky.

This is what I needed after I took the prep drink for my colonoscopy.

img_304837_0_534ffa38164ac810b4a7c7112c6960d7.jpg

AllenMI,

I had an abnormal EKG once and it turned out to be mitral valve prolapse which is, for most people, nothing to worry about. The mitral valve doesn't close as tightly as it should and sometimes will give an abnormal EKG. People with MVP will sometimes have arrhytmia (spelling?). Anywho, I had to have the whole battery of tests just to be on the safe side. Both my daughter and hubby have it as well. Good luck---I'm sure that everything will be just fine.

Back
Top Bottom