Ok boys, stupid car question....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
It was nice and sunny this morning.... DH has the car battery charging in the driveway... the charger is on the ground.
While we were out there he said "I hope it doesn't rain now that this is all hooked up....."
Well, he's gone to bed, and its gonna rain.:(
I dont want to wake him up to ask this dumb dumb question..... should I unhook it? or just rest the charger under the hood of the car? :ermm:
I really shoulda asked "and what if it DOES rain?!"
Thanks.

Are you comfortable with unhooking it? If so, better safe than sorry, and you did not have to wake up DH.

I've unhooked it before.... I dont mind, but I can't remember if it matters what you take off where first...
Wow I feel like such a ditz!!!

Don't feel like a ditz... I can't tell you either what goes first!!! Hopefully someone with some real car sense will chime in and help ya!!!

NOT FUNNY JEEKS!
I'm trying not to blow up the garage here!!!!!
:)

squzie, pull the black clip first, then the red. then tap them together for cool sparks!!!

j/k. don't mess around with it. it's just as easy to pull the plug to the charger, then disconnect the leads on the batteries. you may get a small spark when pulling the ac cord because it's drawing a load at the time, but it's pretty safe. the worst you'll do is get a small black mark on the outlet or blow a breaker.

I should just stick to knitting needles it doesn't matter which one's first....

Once you unplug the charger, it makes no difference which you disconnect first.

If the charger is plugged in, I prefer to take the black (or negative or ground) off first. The reason is that if you accidently touch metal on the car, you should be safe. If you take red (posative) off and accidentally touch metal, you could damage something.

HTH

AC

P. S. If the battery is really dead, throw a tarp over the whole thing and keep charging.

I would pull the plug from the socket. Then disconnect the leads. If you can put the battery under the hood, I doubt that enough rain would hit it to matter. I would never move a battery while being charged. They generate a flammeable gas, and it can be ignited by a charger spark. If you reconnect the charger, reverse the procedure, connect the leads, then plug in the charger.

Back
Top Bottom