"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 04-28-2008, 12:54 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
lol, quicksilver. florida is just the southern part of ny/nj, except with more pest control and air conditioner repair places.

it used to be you'd cross the street when you saw someone talking loudly to themselves. now, it's a bluetooth that makes people look like lieutenant uhura.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:01 AM   #12
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to mikki
Its been against the law to talk on the phone and drive for a few years now in NY, doesnt stop people from doing it though. Police need to enforce the law for it to work. I have a cell,use it while driving but only with a hands free head set. With one DD in college,another DD thats 15 and into everything, a hubby that works different hours then I do, the cell is about the only way to know whats going on with each other. One thing I dont do is answer it in a checkout line or if I'm getting assistance from someone, thats just plain RUDE!!!

mikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:21 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
I don't understand the constant telephone connection with people. I simply don't have the need to be talking to someone 24/7. This might be an indication of my "age."
True. I'd much rather be online 24/7.....

I don't get it either. When the girl who used to work for me got a cell phone and a car, I don't thing I ever saw her pull in or drive out where the cell phone wasn't pressed against her ear. At least she knew not to be on it while she worked.
Personally, I don't like to get a call while I'm driving. It is NOT the same as holding a conversation with a passenger, even with a bluetooth. At least a passenger can help pay attention to your driving.

PA has the law, but I don't think they enforce it much. I think they use it as an "add on" if they pull you over for something else.

Totally off topic.... PA also passed a law in '06 (I believe) that says your dog must be in a seatbelt harness, crate or behind a barrier while being transported within the state. With no part of their body hanging out the window. This was passed for the same reason as the cell phone law, someone determined that loose dogs in cars were causing too many accidents. I know someone who got an $85 ticket for a loose dog in her van, but don't know anyone who has ever gotten a ticket for talking on their cell phone.
The cop that lives next to me routinely drives up the road with his cell phone to his ear.
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:12 AM   #14
Executive Chef
RELATED: In 2005, I think, AAA said national law for you to move to left lane when you see a traffic stop. How many times have you seen the news shots of officers being hit/side-swiped, driver didn't stop, and when caught, claimed they had no idea. I wonder how many were on cell phones. Their brains didn't even register the stop to begin with, let alone to move over. Scary, scary stuff!
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:21 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef
A study I saw on TV a while ago suggested the primary cause of auto accidents was the driver's doing something else while driving. That can be reading, writing, eating toothbrushing, putting on make-up, shaving, picking your teeth, computing or talking on the phone, and, most of all, talking to others in the car with you.

Focusing on cell phones may be the easiest target to attack but it's not nearly the whole story.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:30 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
It's amazing what you see people doing in cars besides driving. I saw someone reading a book once! I get really upset about that. They are on the road with MY FAMILY in the car!
The only thing to be doing when driving a 2,000 pound missle is to be driving it!
Not that there's anything wrong with that.....
suziquzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:47 AM   #17
Chief Eating Officer
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
most of all, talking to others in the car with you.

Focusing on cell phones may be the easiest target to attack but it's not nearly the whole story.
I am glad you brought this up Andy. I was going to play devils advocate and ask why cell phone usage was such a problem, but nobody seems to have an issue with talking with someone in the car with you.

I will admit that I am a cell phone user in the car. I do it hands free though and will hang up if road conditions get to the point that I feel my attention is being compromised by being on the phone. I know it is not the safest thing in the world. The calls I am on in the car are things that need to be taken care of at that time. OK need is probably not the right word. An example might be talking to my wife on the ride home to coordinate who will pick the kids up and where. This is not always something we can work out head of time and my commute is over an hour and the kids might need to be picked up in the opposite direction. If I were wait until I get home to have that conversation then it would be too late.

I have almost never noticed my driving being impaired from being on the phone. I know that does not mean that it has not been of course. What I have noticed though was when I got my iPod that seriously impaired my driving. I would scroll through looking for a song and almost run off the road. i quickly realized I could not play with the iPod and drive at the same time and now I no longer do that.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:13 AM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef
I have had a cell phone for years. I don't use it a lot, but don't hesitate to use it when I feel the need. I still don't get texting. It's a telephone, it's made for talking!

Cell phones are the easy target but eliminating them won't solve the problem. I've come a lot closer to a fender bender trying to eat a whopper and fries than talking on a cell phone.

...but I've never been known for my coordination.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:48 AM   #19
Master Chef
Very few folks can master driving and talking on the cell phone. I think it is the act of trying to find your phone when it rings. Or trying to dial the persons number, or worse yet, try to text someone while you are driving that makes it such a major target. I have to agree with buckytom that when I am on the road, I can pretty much tell who is yappin on a cell phone just by the way they are driving, or swaying on the road I should say. Out of all the close calls I have come across lately, involving myself of someone else, it has always been someone on a cell phone.

Now granted... I get a little teed off when I get behind someone putting on their makeup. That just drives me insane! Can you not get up a little earlier to put that crap on or just put it on after you get to work!

I have seen the make up thing, reading thing, and once I saw a guy eating a bowl of cereal as he was driving. I'm sorry, but there is a time and a place for multi-tasking!
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:10 AM   #20
Master Chef
There are a lot of different causes for accidents and plenty of things people try to do while driving other than actually driving. Cell phone usage is just one of the newer things and therefore gets more attention.
One of the worst things I have seen was a woman entering an accident zone while trying to put on her make up. She had no idea people had to merge and just about caused a couple more accidents of her own, completely oblivious to it all.
The cops were right there, but so bored they didn't even pay attention despite repeated honks from others. I finally had enough, and when I was next to her, leaned out the window and yelled "OMG you ran him over!!" right into her passenger window.
That woke her up, and she stopped just long enough for me to pull in front of her while she tried to figure out what had happened. I stayed there letting everyone else merge in front of her until the cops made me move forward.
When the cops asked me why I blocked her in, I just shook my head and told them if they had been doing their job of traffic control and paying attention, they would have seen her putting on her making and not paying attention to traffic, and I was just providing her a safe place in which to finish the job...

Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote