OK. Cell phones - I have a question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Admittedly, there are things in the immediate physical world that distract drivers. But there's a time and place for everything. Phones along with other activities AND driving.
No. As long as I am on the road, you have a responsibility to me as I you to do the best job you can. Even in the non-driving world, how many accidents happen while on the phone trying to do something else?
Phones in cars for non-emergeny situations - I'll fight.

I remember when only certain professions were allowed that right.

Unfortunately, a lot of people consider driving to be "dwontime" that they can fill by talking on the phone.

Sadly, it's the opposite of that.

They had a feature on the news about some of the things people do while driving down the freeway (this was before cell phones had become popular). They showed a lot of people reading (I see that around here), a guy playing the guitar, and a mother changing her baby's diaper! So, not only was the mother risking the baby's life by having him out of his car seat, but she was risking everyone's lives by changing a diaper while driving 55+ on the freeway! Do you know why insurance companies charge smokers more? According to what I read, it is because they get into accidents while fumbling for the lighter to light their cigarettes. Just another distraction. The reason cell phones have been taking the biggest hit though is, admit it, more people find using them while driving acceptable than those who find the other things (like changing babies) acceptable, and so a lot more people do it.

:)Barbara

I had heard that about smokers, but I never lit up while driving. Not out of wisdom, but because the light from the lighter as I flicked it would blind me momentarily. Otherwise, I don't think I would ever have given it a second thought. Instead, I would wait till I was stopped at a light or stop sign to light up.
I didn't ever notice I was paying more, or that they asked me if I was a smoker?? Actually got me curious I am going to have to go look over my auto policy now, LOL.

...... but because the light from the lighter as I flicked it would blind me momentarily. ......

You didn't have to worry about that when cars came equipped with cigarette lighters instead of "power outlets". :LOL:

I think more of a problem with smokers in cars are when they throw the lit cig out the window and it blows back in the car. they frantically try to find the burning cig before they get burned or the car catches fire. I have seen tons of people swerve all over the place while that happened.

They should check out this neat feature called an ashtray, LOL. Most cars have em, or you can get the kind that fit into a drink holder. Very cool, high tech stuff...
Ok to sarcastic there to be funny, but still good point GB. I used my ashtrays, but again not from any noble reason of my own, but because it was littering and DW would rip my head off.... LOL.

The people who do not use their ashtrays usually point to the fact that your car stinks 1000x more if you used it than if you dump it out the window. Not a good reason, but a reason none the less.

True, even with several air fresheners DW says it does stink up the car. I try to be considerate, but no way around it smoking stinks (pun intended LOL).
One of these days I will whip it completely and make em all happy!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom