"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 05-22-2011, 06:36 AM   #11
Head Chef
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I also have 12-place settings of silver and various other pieces--including a grapefruit knife. I don't use mine every day, but I use it often enough.
Forgot about the silver, I have 12-piece place settings plus serving utensils, including the seafood fork, grapefruit spoon, and steak knives. Most gotten for me by mother, guess she thought I was going to be having some high-falutin dinners. We have 4 of the steak knives out that get used but that's about it.

Originally Posted by Aunt Bea
I have the one with the magnetic top also, what a mistake
Well I'd have never bought that table if I knew that was a feature!

medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:41 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
Yeah--I figure when I'm living on a limited pension, I can always hock the silver...since we don't have any children...

CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:09 AM   #13
Head Chef
No silver. Some pretty etched goblets and antique plates, soup bowls, covered casseroles, and sherbet dishes on display in the china cabinet, never used. A rather ratty assortment of plates in the cabinet that get used all the time.

No fancy here, but hardly anybody complains about dinner!
I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 07:15 AM   #14
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
I use all my dishes and flat ware. Last Fall I inheirited my Mother-In-Law's silverware and Silver Tea set. The Tea Set is on display, I might get around to polishing it at some point. The Silverware is in it's box, waiting to go to my Step-Daughter.
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:04 AM   #15
Master Chef
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
We have a set of silver serving utensils that I use on holidays but that is about it for silver. As for dishes and china we have one set if real china and 6 sets of "good dishes" (Fiesta-ware, 2-Pfaltzgraph, Radko, and two others) plus assorted inherited dishes and partial sets) that I rotate out for the different holidays or special dinners.

I love setting and decorating a dinner table so we have a lot of dishes.

I'd have to say the least used are the real china and the Star Trek Pfaltzgraph dishes.
I have several settings of Radko christmas tree and orament patterns for xmas. Plus several patters and serving bowls. I LOVE it. I need to fill in pieces.

Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain. -Dave Barry
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #16
Chief Eating Officer
We have a full set of china that we only used once. My grandparents got it for us and we invited them to dinner before the wedding so that we could use it. Grandma said we should not have used it before the wedding. We have not used it since.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:34 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
The little brown eyed girl said 7 ...3 Fine China. We use it for Holidays and special occasions. Daily we eat off inexpensive stuff from Wally World... 2 Sets of Silver used for special occasions, and holidays. 3 sets of Crystal., but daily we drink out of stuff from Restaurant Supply..My favorite, that is never used, a set of 12 demitasse tea cups/saucers my daddy brought back from WWII...They were...."Made In Occupied Japan".
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:55 AM   #18
Executive Chef
I don't have any fancy dished or silverware, but I do have cheap Christmas dishes that I bring out off and on all year long. They are from Walgreens. The snowmen are so cute! It is fun sometimes to serve ice cream in July in Christmas bowls! Yes, if I had china I would use it. I am too practical not to.
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:01 AM   #19
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I use a set of Noritake, Keltcraft - Ireland for everyday.

I have a set of Portmeirion on display.

Packed away and rarely used is a set of Syracuse china Old Ivory - Romance.

Packed away and never used is a set of Wedgewood.

I keep waiting for one of the younger folks in the family to express an interest but, that just has not happened and I doubt that it will. These things have little monetary value but, they do have many memories of family get togethers over the years so I keep them.

I wonder how much closet space they have in a coffin
With respect to monetary value you might find the site referenced below to be interesting.
Replacements, Ltd Discontinued and Active China Matching Service
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have a set of six little, vermeil (gold plated, sterling silver) teaspoons/mocha spoons (?) that I never use. It's not because I don't want to, but the opportunity never seems to present itself. My mommy gave them to me.

I don't think it's pretentious to like pretty things.

I have a second set of plates, etc. that only gets used at dinner parties. It's nothing special; it just has eight full settings

I'm of two minds about using the "good stuff" for everyday. The more you use it, the more pieces get broken. We always use the crystal when we drink wine. I think wine tastes better out of crystal. But, out of a set of 12 glasses, I have 10 left. Out of another set of 12 glasses, I have 5 left (the ones I like better, so they get used more). I did buy some inexpensive, chunky crystal for everyday use. Out of 6 red wine glasses, 2 left and out of 6 white wine glasses, 2 left.

I like setting a pretty table on occasion. It's nice to have matching stuff for everyone.

May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote