"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-22-2011, 12:37 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I've always been a collector and am a confessed "dishaholic." We have at least 4 sets of dishes, 3 of which are complete services for 20. That's because, in our will, those 3 are divided equally among 5 offspring, as is the silver flatware.

One set is a beautiful compilation of American, Dutch and English Blue Willow and, with it, there are full sets of Depression cobalt glassware. There are also many other pieces of cobalt glass, such as bowls, dessert plates, sherbet dishes, etc.

Another set is Homer Laughlin's Virginia Rose, which is a lovely romantic pattern with a scalloped edge rimmed in silver. I accompany that with pale green Depression glassware.

A third set is four of the five colors of Taylor, Smith & Taylor's Lu-Ray Pastels. I didn't collect any of the Chatham Gray because I thought it a bit drab/depressing and, also, it's extremely difficult to find as not many pieces were made and, as a result, it's quite expensive. I pair the Lu-Ray with clear pieces of Depression glass.

Our everyday dishware is a Corelle pattern called Summer Blush.

Each set of our china has full compliments of serving pieces. The Lu-Ray even has several floral vases and a huge epergne, which I love.

As for silver, we have a service for 20, again to be given to the children, in Rogers Bros. pattern called Arbutus. It's a very old pattern and discontinued but it looks so lovely with all the china, especially the Virginia Rose.

Many, many years ago my late husband's mother gave me all her silver serving pieces and tea and coffee service. They are exquisite and we use them often. In addition to those pieces we have cabinets full of trays, bowl, pitches, baskets, julep cups, pedestals, etc., many of which I have found at yard sales and thrift stores for pennies. I just bought a beautiful Towle bud vase at a thrift store the other day for 50 cents.

One of the silver pieces I treasure is a lovely Victorian castor, which contains silver-capped cruets for vinegar and oil, salt and pepper, and mustard. The large handle is a beautiful swan's head. I bought it at a yard sale years ago for practically nothing. It was so black with tarnish that I don't imagine the seller knew what it was. It took me a long time to clean it up, but it's a showpiece now.

There's bunches of crystal glassware and stemware, as well as many sizes and shapes of plates and bowls in plain, unpatterned glass.

Also, when my late husband's mother gave up her house, she gave me all her Wedgewood china. Beautiful pattern but it'd gotten beaten up a bit and there aren't many pieces in serviceable shape. It, too, is discontinued but way TOO costly for me to consider adding to or replacing damaged pieces. For now, I'll save it as a keepsake and hope that one of Buck's sons will want it as a remembrance of their grandmother.

Except for our everyday dishware, most of what we have and use is easily 100-years-old. When the table is set with any of the sets, I am taken back to a gentler time and I try to imagine what was served and what was talked about around the table.

Yep, I said I was a dishaholic and I meant it, but all these beauties are old friends and, in many cases, aren't being produced any more. Kinda like me. There's only one of me and that's it and I'm still a bit serviceable.

Old 05-22-2011, 12:46 PM   #22
Master Chef

When we furnished our dining room just over 20 years ago upon buying our house we 'decorated' our new china cabinet with a set of Noritake's and fine silver in the dining table drawers. Of course, we've never, ever used them. Oh yeah, we've sat at the dining table for nice holiday dinners on a few occasions over the years.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

When I divorced, I did not get custody of the china or silver we got for wedding gifts and that was OK.

When my uncle died I took his china "just in case I ever needed it" SO and I use Corelle. She doesn't like the china so, guess what. And that's OK by me.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #24
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Very nice! I bought a set of plain white dishes to augment the Radko. I used to buy the Radko at Target but I don't think they carry it any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I have several settings of Radko christmas tree and orament patterns for xmas. Plus several patters and serving bowls. I LOVE it. I need to fill in pieces.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post

I don't think it's pretentious to like pretty things.

I like setting a pretty table on occasion. It's nice to have matching stuff for everyone.

I never said that liking pretty things is pretentious. It was clear that what I ment was owning EXPENSIVE dishes and utensils is pretentious.

IMHO I set a pretty table every day and I have matching stuff for everyone. I have 10 complete place settings of Fiesta ware in different colors, most of witch are either retired or discontinued.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:03 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Even though I posted quite an extensive list, many of what we have were given to us and the remainder were purchased at yard sales, thrift stores, estate sales and auctions.

As Glenn says, "I'm cheep, cheep." He kids me, but I think I'm allergic to spending money. Having said that, I've been very fortunate with my "quests" and have been able to ferret out awesome pieces, including furniture, for a mere fraction of what they are worth.

It's fun and, I suppose, a bit of a game to me, but when I happen upon a "find" at a bargain price, I'm energized. Told ya I was a dishaholic. It's my high.

The better high, though, is having the pleasure of setting a lovely table and sharing a meal, whether it's hot dogs or beef wellington, with my family and friends.

Buck and I always wanted to take a basket of good china, glassware and silverware to McDonald's and "set" our table there for our Big Macks. We never got around to it but, as Judy Tenuta would say, "It could happen!"
Old 05-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
Very nice! I bought a set of plain white dishes to augment the Radko. I used to buy the Radko at Target but I don't think they carry it any more.
Thank you. I also got these at Target about 4 years ago.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:21 PM   #28
Master Chef

I also do not want to give the idea that I have invested alot of money in my things.

I am constantly searching the flea markets and thrift shops in my area. Many of the things in my home came from various relatives, dead and alive. It is kind of a joke in my family when someone has an item to get rid of they all say in unison, maybe Bea would like it, and I do.

I am thankful that so far it is just stuff and not baskets of kittens
Old 05-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I also do not want to give the idea that I have invested alot of money in my things.

I am constantly searching the flea markets and thrift shops in my area. Many of the things in my home came from various relatives, dead and alive. It is kind of a joke in my family when someone has an item to get rid of they all say in unison, maybe Bea would like it, and I do.

I am thankful that so far it is just stuff and not baskets of kittens
Me, too, exactly.

And..."amen" to the baskets of kittens.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #30
Master Chef

I have a set of china and sterling that I never purchased! My husband bought it for himself. At the time, a set of crystal as well (I'm a klutz, believe me the latter is long gone). When we first married (1983), we used it every day, just tossing it in the dishwasher. We bought everyday stuff when I realized that forks and spoons were disappearing and cost $40 or so to replace. No, no one was stealing them, I think it was the clean up crew (usually us) were scraping plates and dropping them (yes, copious amounts of wine were involved). We took to counting the silver the morning after, and if a piece was missing, we went through the garbage. Thank heaven for Replacements.com. But it did inspire us to buy some less expensive flatware and plates!

As for crystal, on some day in the future, I will never drink from anything else. It just feels different. I pretty much destroyed my husband's original crystal set, and we bought new when we moved here (10 years ago), but rarely use it. I just love that sharp edge on the glasses. I know he wouldn't care if I decided to use a good wine glass every day, but I'm so clumsy. He wouldn't care if I broke them all. It's not like they're bacarrat or something.