"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #31
Master Chef

Oh, BTW, expensive isn't the issue. The issue is precious. My husband having this stuff when we were dating told me that he valued the dining experience. They weren't something to brag about; I'm not talking stuff to look at, and I'm not kidding when I said we used it all everyday and only bought less expensive stuff when we realized the value of some of it. It wasn't family heirlooms or anything.

Old 05-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #32
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
[/COLOR] I have 10 complete place settings of Fiesta ware in different colors, most of witch are either retired or discontinued.
Just FYI, you do know that if you have original Fiestaware, depending on the color, you could be sitting on a goldmine. The original pieces, from say 1935-1960 in mint condition are worth a lot of money.

I was pricing cobalt blue a few years ago and was amazed at the some pieces were going for.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

i have new set of everyday dishes. they are a walmart knock off of the expensive italian style stuff that is popular today. i love it and use everyday , dishwasher, micro and fridge. also have service for twelve pretty china, haven't used in about three years. since i stopped having thanksgiving at my house. i have service for twelve christmas dishes, knock off of spode christmas tree. when i managed a hallmark store we put them on sale and with my employee discount got for practically nothing. used for christmas dinner up til about five years ago. will give to one of my granddaughters when i die.

i have many beautiful odds and ends from long gone family. use sometimes for serving or just decorations. no fancy silver. few crystal sets, wine glasses. i love to set the table for company, usually use the new ones. i have bought some serving dishes in other italian patterns. that go with it. makes me feel i have treated my guests to something special

i make special food for them, why not set a pretty special table.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't feel anyone here is pretentious or has nose in the air. I find nothing wrong in what we choose to eat off of, the most importanat thing is enjoying a meal with dear ones and dear friends.Having something we each feel is beautiful and that we love is wonderful. I've been very lucky I have china, silver and crystal plus my grandmothers china which to me is something I love and makes me feel as if she is still with me. I enjoy using my special things although it took me years to allow anyone to help me with taking care of them. I had my m-i-l break severl of my glasses and not check my garbage disposal so anytime she came To dinner I became a nervous wreck My dad bought me silver salt and pepper shakers and a beautiful silver butter keeper, a sugar and creamer as well,all because he enjoyed giving and pleasing me. All these things are ME!!! If I thought someone thought I was upitty or acting as If I was better than they were I would be hurt and upset. I feel all of you have the right to love what you've been given or earned it lets us know about you and become part of you. Be proud of what you have and share it happily with us. I'll gladly share mine with anyone who is interested. Life has many ugly things about it, so hold close your treasures and enjoy them.
kadesma
Old 05-22-2011, 06:09 PM   #35
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
Just FYI, you do know that if you have original Fiestaware, depending on the color, you could be sitting on a goldmine. The original pieces, from say 1935-1960 in mint condition are worth a lot of money.

I was pricing cobalt blue a few years ago and was amazed at the some pieces were going for.

My older pieces that are retired I bought on ebay. I didn't pay all that much and I am not sure how much they are really worth. But I use them every day. Sure they cost more then department store dishes, but they are not fine china that most people only use on special occasions. Yeah china is pretty, but only when it is empty. Once you put food on them it becomes a visual nightmare. I prefer solid color dishes that complement the visual of the food, not turn it into abstract art.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:15 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
My older pieces that are retired I bought on ebay. I didn't pay all that much and I am not sure how much they are really worth. But I use them every day. Sure they cost more then department store dishes, but they are not fine china that most people only use on special occasions. Yeah china is pretty, but only when it is empty. Once you put food on them it becomes a visual nightmare. I prefer solid color dishes that complement the visual of the food, not turn it into abstract art.
Patty I agree about how China looks when food is put on them. That is why I picked white dishes with a silver ring when I use them whick is every Sunday they look lovely. Use of Silver and Crystal enhances that look. I have to admit I love the look.Paying a lot for anything is fine I suppose but not all of us can afford it.But taste is not all in our mouths it is what we are and it makes us special. Be you Patty that is what makes you YOU>!!!!
kades
Old 05-22-2011, 07:13 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
...I agree about how China looks when food is put on them. That is why I picked white dishes with a silver ring when I use them whick is every Sunday they look lovely. Use of Silver and Crystal enhances that look...
I agree. That's one of the reasons I went on ebay and won these classic 1960s United Air Lines dinner plates. They are old, but look contemporary and will set off any food.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #38
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Patty I agree about how China looks when food is put on them. That is why I picked white dishes with a silver ring when I use them whick is every Sunday they look lovely. Use of Silver and Crystal enhances that look. I have to admit I love the look.Paying a lot for anything is fine I suppose but not all of us can afford it.But taste is not all in our mouths it is what we are and it makes us special. Be you Patty that is what makes you YOU>!!!!
kades
I too picked white china because I like to start with an empty palette. Mine is Royal Doulton Fusion Gold. White with a gold rim. Over the years I have added most available serving pieces. I use Riedel Crystal as it adds greatly to the flavor of a given wine. I have not yet gotten into silver, but do have a "dress" set of Stainless.

The Riedel gets used daily. Mine is medium priced as Riedel goes. I would not own china or glassware that I would be afraid of using. The china gets used around once or twice a month, anytime I have guests.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:37 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, even though my mother has 7 complete sets of china (12 place settings)/earthenware/pottery (I guess Quimperware is pottery) and 3 sets of silver, when my grandmother died, I received her silver (which always had to be counted before it could be back every Christmas and Thanksgiving). The irony was that the pattern was the same pattern as my maternal great-grandmother. My great-aunt divided the set between the two great-nieces in the family. When my cousin was killed in a car accident in Peru, my uncle gave me her half of the set, which is how I ended up with 1/2 a set that is monogramed, and 1/2 that is not. The Limoges china is another story--my parents and I were at an auction. There was a 12-place setting of Limoges that was up. It was a horrible day for an auction--cold, rainy...you get the picture. My father was on one side of the wagon, I was on the other. It wasn't until we got to $50 that we realized we were bidding against each other. I backed off and my dad got the set for me for $50. I have since picked up some other pieces that match at yard sales and a china replacement place. The Spode was my gift to me when I came back from being an exchange student in Germany. Since then, my family has bought me another 4 place settings, all kinds of serving pieces, the salt and pepper shakers, etc. I love it that these things have not only a history (well, the silver does), but also a family story. My brother and I don't know what we are going to do with the 7 sets of dishes and the 3 sets of silver...we both have enough of each (my brother has my great-aunt's sterling and dishes). I also have my great-grandmother's and great-aunt's Waterford. Which I dare not use <g>. And some lovely "punsch" cups from Norway.

I make it a rule--if you want to help with dishes and you break one of these plates/glasses, you owe me two. That way, I always am the only one washing them <g>.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:40 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Riedel seems to make some nice stuff. Most of our Rosenthal is too delicate for daily use.