OK, confess:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Riedel seems to make some nice stuff. Most of our Rosenthal is too delicate for daily use.
You have Rosenthal? My pattern is not made any more but I love it so I'm planning to look and see ifI can find someone who sells old out of issue china. Mine has a silver rim Yours looks like?
kadesma:)

I agree. That's one of the reasons I went on ebay and won these classic 1960s United Air Lines dinner plates. They are old, but look contemporary and will set off any food.

29235-albums329-picture2716.jpg
Selkie, love your dishes they are so attractive. I'd be glad to serve food from them.
kades

You have Rosenthal? My pattern is not made any more but I love it so I'm planning to look and see ifI can find someone who sells old out of issue china. Mine has a silver rim Yours looks like?
kadesma:)
Try Replacements, Ltd in NC. They have a lot of patterns in stock and available, new and used. If you get on their list with your pattern, they will send you a list when they get what you want.

Try Replacements, Ltd in NC. They have a lot of patterns in stock and available, new and used. If you get on their list with your pattern, they will send you a list when they get what you want.
Thank you so much. I'll look today.
kadesma

That's where my mom (and I) have gotten our extra pieces. The store is a really cool place to visit if you are in the Raleigh area. It is a dog-friendly store.

I have a set of dishes that was my great grandmother's. Another grandchild got the silver. It has been used twice! The first time, DH cooked Thanksgiving dinner because I was working night shift at the hospital. He served it on the good dishes for just the 2 of us. Then I used it again when the whole family came to my house for the baptism of my first born (1984). It's packed away right now but I hope to get it out one day and display it in the hutch from my grandmother's house.

I use all my dishes, no reason not to. If I was afraid of breaking it, I wouldn't have bought breakable dishes.

I got two juice glasses from my Grandmother's things, I broke the second one last week...they are gone now, but I used them everyday that I had them.

I use all my dishes, no reason not to. If I was afraid of breaking it, I wouldn't have bought breakable dishes.

I got two juice glasses from my Grandmother's things, I broke the second one last week...they are gone now, but I used them everyday that I had them.

"One day some people came to the master and asked 'How can you be happy in a world of such impermanence, where you cannot protect your loved ones from harm, illness and death?' The master held up a glass and said 'Someone gave me this glass, and I really like this glass. It holds my water admirably and it glistens in the sunlight. I touch it and it rings! One day the wind may blow it off the shelf, or my elbow may knock it from the table. I know this glass is already broken, so I enjoy it incredibly.'"
~~Achaan Chah Subato, Thai meditation master

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for that Bea! I've been searching for years on how to describe life...and death.

Bigjim, I've use Replacements, Ltd for YEARS. The crystal, china, and silver I got with my husband we used everyday, threw in the dishwasher w/o thinking. The silver pieces started slowly disappearing, and I realized that we were both the culprits, not our guests, in that in our wine-soaked clean ups were actually throwing a fork or spoon away here and there. So I finally bought stainless and when we do use the silver (every month or two), we get up in the morning and count it! But I've replaced many pieces through Replacements, for both broken plates and lost forks, or supplementing what we have with a new place setting. And that goes for both the good silver and china, but also our everyday stuff.

I also (before on-line) kept the "updates" they sent me on what is available in my patterns for insurance purposes. In case of fire or theft, they'd come in handy.

Last edited:
Another thing I love is vegetable/fruit majolica ware. It started when my mother found this huge cabbage leaf platter. I carried it from post to post, and then started picking up a piece here and there. Some cheap imitations, but some the Portuguese stuff I love. I even bought a piece in Macau when it was still a Portuguese colony. Then one day I was at a group picnic, and commented on a piece someone had brought. I just mentioned that I thought it was a good piece actually made in Portugal, and the woman who'd brought an appetizer on it simply said, Heck, it means more to you than it does to me, and gave it to me. I hardly knew the woman. I'm not saying it's extravagantly expensive, but to just give it to me? I declined, at first, but it was apparent she really didn't like it, so it's on my shelf now!

Back
Top Bottom