"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-22-2011, 07:48 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Riedel seems to make some nice stuff. Most of our Rosenthal is too delicate for daily use.
You have Rosenthal? My pattern is not made any more but I love it so I'm planning to look and see ifI can find someone who sells old out of issue china. Mine has a silver rim Yours looks like?
kadesma

Old 05-22-2011, 07:51 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
I agree. That's one of the reasons I went on ebay and won these classic 1960s United Air Lines dinner plates. They are old, but look contemporary and will set off any food.

Selkie, love your dishes they are so attractive. I'd be glad to serve food from them.
kades

Old 05-22-2011, 08:18 PM   #43
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
You have Rosenthal? My pattern is not made any more but I love it so I'm planning to look and see ifI can find someone who sells old out of issue china. Mine has a silver rim Yours looks like?
kadesma
Try Replacements, Ltd in NC. They have a lot of patterns in stock and available, new and used. If you get on their list with your pattern, they will send you a list when they get what you want.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:49 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
Try Replacements, Ltd in NC. They have a lot of patterns in stock and available, new and used. If you get on their list with your pattern, they will send you a list when they get what you want.
Thank you so much. I'll look today.
kadesma
Old 05-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

That's where my mom (and I) have gotten our extra pieces. The store is a really cool place to visit if you are in the Raleigh area. It is a dog-friendly store.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:53 PM   #46
Master Chef

I have a set of dishes that was my great grandmother's. Another grandchild got the silver. It has been used twice! The first time, DH cooked Thanksgiving dinner because I was working night shift at the hospital. He served it on the good dishes for just the 2 of us. Then I used it again when the whole family came to my house for the baptism of my first born (1984). It's packed away right now but I hope to get it out one day and display it in the hutch from my grandmother's house.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Use it!
Old 05-27-2011, 10:19 PM   #48
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I use all my dishes, no reason not to. If I was afraid of breaking it, I wouldn't have bought breakable dishes.

I got two juice glasses from my Grandmother's things, I broke the second one last week...they are gone now, but I used them everyday that I had them.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:11 AM   #49
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I use all my dishes, no reason not to. If I was afraid of breaking it, I wouldn't have bought breakable dishes.

I got two juice glasses from my Grandmother's things, I broke the second one last week...they are gone now, but I used them everyday that I had them.

"One day some people came to the master and asked 'How can you be happy in a world of such impermanence, where you cannot protect your loved ones from harm, illness and death?' The master held up a glass and said 'Someone gave me this glass, and I really like this glass. It holds my water admirably and it glistens in the sunlight. I touch it and it rings! One day the wind may blow it off the shelf, or my elbow may knock it from the table. I know this glass is already broken, so I enjoy it incredibly.'"
~~Achaan Chah Subato, Thai meditation master
Old 05-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #50
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Thank you for that Bea! I've been searching for years on how to describe life...and death.