"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-30-2011, 06:56 AM   #51
Master Chef

Bigjim, I've use Replacements, Ltd for YEARS. The crystal, china, and silver I got with my husband we used everyday, threw in the dishwasher w/o thinking. The silver pieces started slowly disappearing, and I realized that we were both the culprits, not our guests, in that in our wine-soaked clean ups were actually throwing a fork or spoon away here and there. So I finally bought stainless and when we do use the silver (every month or two), we get up in the morning and count it! But I've replaced many pieces through Replacements, for both broken plates and lost forks, or supplementing what we have with a new place setting. And that goes for both the good silver and china, but also our everyday stuff.

I also (before on-line) kept the "updates" they sent me on what is available in my patterns for insurance purposes. In case of fire or theft, they'd come in handy.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:16 AM   #52
Master Chef

Another thing I love is vegetable/fruit majolica ware. It started when my mother found this huge cabbage leaf platter. I carried it from post to post, and then started picking up a piece here and there. Some cheap imitations, but some the Portuguese stuff I love. I even bought a piece in Macau when it was still a Portuguese colony. Then one day I was at a group picnic, and commented on a piece someone had brought. I just mentioned that I thought it was a good piece actually made in Portugal, and the woman who'd brought an appetizer on it simply said, Heck, it means more to you than it does to me, and gave it to me. I hardly knew the woman. I'm not saying it's extravagantly expensive, but to just give it to me? I declined, at first, but it was apparent she really didn't like it, so it's on my shelf now!