OK, confess:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
I'm just curious. How many of you have place settings, china, silver, and even cook ware you haven't use in over a year. In the case of silver and china, maybe a decade? I'm just curious.

I have never owned "Silverware" or "China". If my every day Fiesta-ware and no named flatware is not good enough for my family or friends, well then I guess my food and company isn't either.:chef: I am not pretentious.

Last edited:
I don't have silver. I do have a nice complete set of dishes including service pieces mom gave me. Not sure if it is "china" but it is packed away. I only used them once. I also now have a set of dishes with service pieces I got when I packed up moms place after she passed.

I use a set of Noritake, Keltcraft - Ireland for everyday.

I have a set of Portmeirion on display.

Packed away and rarely used is a set of Syracuse china Old Ivory - Romance.

Packed away and never used is a set of Wedgewood.

I keep waiting for one of the younger folks in the family to express an interest but, that just has not happened and I doubt that it will. These things have little monetary value but, they do have many memories of family get togethers over the years so I keep them.

I wonder how much closet space they have in a coffin:angel:

Last edited:
I have real silverware and china, and I use everything because it's there to be used. I don't know how long I have to live, so I want to have the pleasure of using my "good" things. Why would I NOT use them?... to be pretentious or use them strictly for the pleasure of someone else?... or simply to have something to pass on to my kids so they can pack them away or sell them?

I have a full set of Noritake given to me by my mother, don't remember the design name but it's a basic white with platinum (at least that's what mother always said it was) crisscross webbing and banding trim at the edges. It hasn't been used in years. Too much of a PITA to get out of cupboard it is in. Haven't used the crystal either except for the 2 champagne flutes we keep in with the other glasses. Just laziness on my part about getting it out, as well as not wanting to have to wash and iron the placements and napkins if they are used, plus the fact that the dining room table has become a catch-all and is pretty much loaded most of the time.

I have a full set of Noritake given to me by my mother, don't remember the design name but it's a basic white with platinum (at least that's what mother always said it was) crisscross webbing and banding trim at the edges. It hasn't been used in years. Too much of a PITA to get out of cupboard it is in. Haven't used the crystal either except for the 2 champagne flutes we keep in with the other glasses. Just laziness on my part about getting it out, as well as not wanting to have to wash and iron the placements and napkins if they are used, plus the fact that the dining room table has become a catch-all and is pretty much loaded most of the time.

I have the one with the magnetic top also, what a mistake:ROFLMAO:

We have a set of silver serving utensils that I use on holidays but that is about it for silver. As for dishes and china we have one set if real china and 6 sets of "good dishes" (Fiesta-ware, 2-Pfaltzgraph, Radko, and two others) plus assorted inherited dishes and partial sets) that I rotate out for the different holidays or special dinners.

I love setting and decorating a dinner table so we have a lot of dishes.

I'd have to say the least used are the real china and the Star Trek Pfaltzgraph dishes.

I have 5 sets of dishes--one of which is Limoges china another which is Spode Christmas Tree china. I swap that out for the everyday "fall and winter" dishes around the 1st of December and pack it away after New Year's. I coveted the Spode for years. I rarely use the Limoges (because of the human dishwasher <g>), I also have 12-place settings of silver and various other pieces--including a grapefruit knife. I don't use mine every day, but I use it often enough.

I also have 12-place settings of silver and various other pieces--including a grapefruit knife. I don't use mine every day, but I use it often enough.

Forgot about the silver, I have 12-piece place settings plus serving utensils, including the seafood fork, grapefruit spoon, and steak knives. Most gotten for me by mother, guess she thought I was going to be having some high-falutin dinners. We have 4 of the steak knives out that get used but that's about it.

Aunt Bea said:
I have the one with the magnetic top also, what a mistake

Well I'd have never bought that table if I knew that was a feature!

No silver. Some pretty etched goblets and antique plates, soup bowls, covered casseroles, and sherbet dishes on display in the china cabinet, never used. A rather ratty assortment of plates in the cabinet that get used all the time.

No fancy here, but hardly anybody complains about dinner!

I use all my dishes and flat ware. Last Fall I inheirited my Mother-In-Law's silverware and Silver Tea set. The Tea Set is on display, I might get around to polishing it at some point. The Silverware is in it's box, waiting to go to my Step-Daughter.

We have a set of silver serving utensils that I use on holidays but that is about it for silver. As for dishes and china we have one set if real china and 6 sets of "good dishes" (Fiesta-ware, 2-Pfaltzgraph, Radko, and two others) plus assorted inherited dishes and partial sets) that I rotate out for the different holidays or special dinners.

I love setting and decorating a dinner table so we have a lot of dishes.

I'd have to say the least used are the real china and the Star Trek Pfaltzgraph dishes.
I have several settings of Radko christmas tree and orament patterns for xmas. Plus several patters and serving bowls. I LOVE it. I need to fill in pieces.

img_1003113_0_144aa9723bcc4cc3e3ba1c210d69b1aa.jpg

img_1003113_1_8c7af294e099abade8fc144cbc0d653e.jpg

We have a full set of china that we only used once. My grandparents got it for us and we invited them to dinner before the wedding so that we could use it. Grandma said we should not have used it before the wedding. We have not used it since.

The little brown eyed girl said 7 ...3 Fine China. We use it for Holidays and special occasions. Daily we eat off inexpensive stuff from Wally World... 2 Sets of Silver used for special occasions, and holidays. 3 sets of Crystal., but daily we drink out of stuff from Restaurant Supply..My favorite, that is never used, a set of 12 demitasse tea cups/saucers my daddy brought back from WWII...They were...."Made In Occupied Japan".

I don't have any fancy dished or silverware, but I do have cheap Christmas dishes that I bring out off and on all year long. They are from Walgreens. The snowmen are so cute! It is fun sometimes to serve ice cream in July in Christmas bowls! Yes, if I had china I would use it. I am too practical not to.

I use a set of Noritake, Keltcraft - Ireland for everyday.

I have a set of Portmeirion on display.

Packed away and rarely used is a set of Syracuse china Old Ivory - Romance.

Packed away and never used is a set of Wedgewood.

I keep waiting for one of the younger folks in the family to express an interest but, that just has not happened and I doubt that it will. These things have little monetary value but, they do have many memories of family get togethers over the years so I keep them.

I wonder how much closet space they have in a coffin:angel:
With respect to monetary value you might find the site referenced below to be interesting.
Replacements, Ltd Discontinued and Active China Matching Service

I have a set of six little, vermeil (gold plated, sterling silver) teaspoons/mocha spoons (?) that I never use. It's not because I don't want to, but the opportunity never seems to present itself. My mommy gave them to me.

I don't think it's pretentious to like pretty things.

I have a second set of plates, etc. that only gets used at dinner parties. It's nothing special; it just has eight full settings :LOL:

I'm of two minds about using the "good stuff" for everyday. The more you use it, the more pieces get broken. We always use the crystal when we drink wine. I think wine tastes better out of crystal. But, out of a set of 12 glasses, I have 10 left. Out of another set of 12 glasses, I have 5 left (the ones I like better, so they get used more). I did buy some inexpensive, chunky crystal for everyday use. Out of 6 red wine glasses, 2 left and out of 6 white wine glasses, 2 left.

I like setting a pretty table on occasion. It's nice to have matching stuff for everyone.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom