"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2018, 10:30 PM   #1
Executive Chef

OK, so I am deeply, deeply shallow.......

Next February I'll be 70 and I'm contemplating a bit of a "do" - well two actually! I'm thinking of having my party at home for about 20 of my local friends in February. My cousin (who will be 80 in July) lives about 60 miles away from me and we have discussed throwing a big joint Birthday Bash in the summer for our family and other friends over where she and her husband live. The guest list for that party, which I will also cater for, will add up to about 40 or 50 so two parties are the only feasible way of doing it.

OK, here comes the shallow bit. Since Tetley was put to sleep I've been finding myself with a small amount of money left at the end of each month and it has mounted up into a bit of a nest egg. When I had Tetley I lived permanently in jodhpurs and had only bought essential non-stable clothes for years but now the parties give me a good reason for a minor splurge. One day last week I was watching QVC in lieu of anything better to do or watch and, while I don't usually shop on-line I saw just what I want for the bashes - Pucci-style "palazzo pants" (remember those?), floor length and very wide, in a slightly psychedelic printed pattern in red, navy, cobalt, turquoise, yellow, etc. Very '60s! Very "in"! And reduced in the sale! Of course, having two parties to host, I absolutely had to treat myself! It would have been very wrong of me not to, wouldn't it? Arrived today and they are fantastic. I'm not as tall as I was in my prime so I'll have to wear heels as the palazzos are slightly too long but I have plenty of plain, fitted tops in colours which will "go", that I can wear with them.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:40 PM   #2
Senior Cook

70 eh, think of those that never made it to that age. I was going through an old school photo album about 10 years ago. So many from my year have died.
I limit cooking to around 40 ppl. I take it you had a horse? That would be a huge saving if you don't have to feed a horse. I hope it all goes well for you.

Russ

Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:59 PM   #3
Executive Chef

My 40-year high school reunion is next summer. Between now and then, I need to lose ten pounds and buy a Ferrari.

CD
Old 08-21-2018, 06:30 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Good for you Mad Cook! I'm sure both the birthday bashes will be great successes. Winning take on that is if there are not the same people at both you can repeat a good part of the menu and change up some of the others.

CD - good luck, I'm sure you will come good with the Ferrari. On the other hand... 10 lbs? best wishes.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:32 AM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
My 40-year high school reunion is next summer. Between now and then, I need to lose ten pounds and buy a Ferrari.

CD
Just buy a big truck..it will make you look smaller
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:29 AM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Sounds wonderful Mad Cook! I hope you enjoy your new outfit.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:31 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post

CD
Good luck on losing the weight..
Ross
Old 08-21-2018, 09:38 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Just buy a big truck..it will make you look smaller
I live in Texas, so a big truck will just make me look like everyone else.

CD
Old 08-21-2018, 11:54 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Jackie Gleason on an old TV variety show being asked "What's your secret to looking thinner and fit"? His reply: "Simple, I just stand next to fat people." Badda Boom!
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 02:15 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
...OK, here comes the shallow bit. Since Tetley was put to sleep I've been finding myself with a small amount of money left at the end of each month and it has mounted up into a bit of a nest egg. When I had Tetley I lived permanently in jodhpurs and had only bought essential non-stable clothes for years but now the parties give me a good reason for a minor splurge...
You certainly aren't shallow for wanting to look nice, MC. My closet consists mostly of sweat pants or jeans, T-shirts or winter casual tops, and very casual shoes. I would be delighted if I had a reason to go shopping for dress-up clothes. Enjoy you new threads, enjoy your soires, and enjoy life! My 50th high school reunion will be next year, if anyone from my class is organizing one. I think I'd kind of like to show up for it. Unlike casey, though, I would like to lose more than 10 pounds!

"The only running I do anymore is running late..."~~~moi
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote