"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2016, 08:46 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds like you hit the jackpot. What I love about Goodwill is, they have folks who may not be the most highly educated, in the background who prepare the articles we see on the floor, making them appear like new. These are people who may have difficulty in finding employment, that have some skills that a lot of us lack, and turning products into highly desired ones for the public.

If they do lack the needed skills, Goodwill will teach them. I had a neighbor whose son has been working for Goodwill for almost 40 years. He started as a young teenager. Today he can turn any hunk of furniture into a showroom piece. And he also is teaching the new hires.

The Salvation Army is another organization that I whole heartedly support. I must get out my checkbook and write my yearly holiday check to both. Two organizations that you never hear any scandal about.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:13 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

I have never been to a Goodwill store. In fact, I have only seen one recently since we moved.

After hearing so many great finds from so many people (akin to a type of treasure hunt), I m eager to go.

I think Choc, aka Chocolate Chef, was the first person who made me want to check one out having scored a few old Hobart mixers.

That is my new grail. To find an all metal geared mixer with a powerful motor and big bowl.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:33 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
My Dad is mortified that I shop at the Goodwill. "That's for people on social assistance who can't afford to shop anywhere else. I could never go in there." Is that the sentiment?
It may have been at some point, but these days, "reduce, reuse recycle" is more important to a lot of people. Many of my friends and my mom shop at "specialty" stores, as do I. I think it's a great idea to keep things out of the landfill while saving money
Old 11-27-2016, 11:09 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It may have been at some point, but these days, "reduce, reuse recycle" is more important to a lot of people. Many of my friends and my mom shop at "specialty" stores, as do I. I think it's a great idea to keep things out of the landfill while saving money
That's how I've always viewed it GG. I see no point in paying, in some cases, outrageous sums for something when I can find it at one of my "specialty" stores for nearly always a fraction of its "new" price.

I'm not always looking for anything in particular but it's more often than not that I come across something I've been interested in trying but decided the cost wasn't worth it.

One such item came up about two weeks ago. I spied a nice tagine across the room. Immediately hustled over to it. Shoppers around it/me were puzzled as to its purpose and ignored it. Price tag was $2. I picked the top up and it had a thud-like ring. Inspected it and found a crack. Rats. Just to be thorough I looked at the bottom piece and discovered a crack there, too. But, it did have "Made in Morocco" incised on the bottom.

Oh, well. If I'm patient another might come along.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:42 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I am a Goodwill, thrift store junky. I need my fix. Sooooo...because I couldn't fit a decent winter coat for MN in my luggage when I came back in October, I have been Goodwill hunting for a down coat that would cover my butt. MN winters are brutal. I also didn't want to pay big bucks because I have all that stuff in Ontario. I got to go check out the local thrift shops yesterday. I got a Columbia jacket (purple) with a down zip-out liner/jacket for $12.99. A friend told me that jacket sells for over $300. I got so many great things, including the ATK Baking book for $4.25. My Dad is mortified that I shop at the Goodwill. "That's for people on social assistance who can't afford to shop anywhere else. I could never go in there." Is that the sentiment? I shop at thrift stores because I am looking for things that might no longer be available and, well, I'm cheap. I don't want to pay full price for something if I can get a gently-used version of the same for a whole lot less.
Goodwill is for everyone to shop. The money that they make is used to help those who need it for job training, education etc. By shopping at Goodwill, you are helping people get a leg up. That's how most thrift stores work, they aren't necessarily just there for the poor to purchase things, but they use the proceeds to help those in need, so the more people that shop there, the more that they can accomplish.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 09:35 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
+1 I have everything I need in Ontario, but hauling stuff on the plane, well, it just doesn't make sense.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:36 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Goodwill is for everyone to shop. The money that they make is used to help those who need it for job training, education etc. By shopping at Goodwill, you are helping people get a leg up. That's how most thrift stores work, they aren't necessarily just there for the poor to purchase things, but they use the proceeds to help those in need, so the more people that shop there, the more that they can accomplish.
+1 bakechef. Glad to hear from you!
Old 11-27-2016, 10:01 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks, bakechef, for the info. That makes it more appealing.

I didn't know that there was a stigma attached to shopping at Goodwill. Wow, tnat's kinda weird. Who cares, you're shopping. And possibly getting a great deal. A millionaire would appreciate that.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:20 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Thanks, bakechef, for the info. That makes it more appealing.

I didn't know that there was a stigma attached to shopping at Goodwill. Wow, tnat's kinda weird. Who cares, you're shopping. And possibly getting a great deal. A millionaire would appreciate that.
I think the operative word there is "was"
Old 11-27-2016, 10:24 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Works for me.