Okay, everyone, ''Yeah, Goodwill."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds like you hit the jackpot. What I love about Goodwill is, they have folks who may not be the most highly educated, in the background who prepare the articles we see on the floor, making them appear like new. These are people who may have difficulty in finding employment, that have some skills that a lot of us lack, and turning products into highly desired ones for the public.

If they do lack the needed skills, Goodwill will teach them. I had a neighbor whose son has been working for Goodwill for almost 40 years. He started as a young teenager. Today he can turn any hunk of furniture into a showroom piece. And he also is teaching the new hires.

The Salvation Army is another organization that I whole heartedly support. I must get out my checkbook and write my yearly holiday check to both. Two organizations that you never hear any scandal about.

I have never been to a Goodwill store. In fact, I have only seen one recently since we moved.

After hearing so many great finds from so many people (akin to a type of treasure hunt), I m eager to go.

I think Choc, aka Chocolate Chef, was the first person who made me want to check one out having scored a few old Hobart mixers.

That is my new grail. To find an all metal geared mixer with a powerful motor and big bowl.

My Dad is mortified that I shop at the Goodwill. "That's for people on social assistance who can't afford to shop anywhere else. I could never go in there." Is that the sentiment?

It may have been at some point, but these days, "reduce, reuse recycle" is more important to a lot of people. Many of my friends and my mom shop at "specialty" stores, as do I. I think it's a great idea to keep things out of the landfill while saving money :)

It may have been at some point, but these days, "reduce, reuse recycle" is more important to a lot of people. Many of my friends and my mom shop at "specialty" stores, as do I. I think it's a great idea to keep things out of the landfill while saving money :)

That's how I've always viewed it GG. I see no point in paying, in some cases, outrageous sums for something when I can find it at one of my "specialty" stores for nearly always a fraction of its "new" price.

I'm not always looking for anything in particular but it's more often than not that I come across something I've been interested in trying but decided the cost wasn't worth it.

One such item came up about two weeks ago. I spied a nice tagine across the room. Immediately hustled over to it. Shoppers around it/me were puzzled as to its purpose and ignored it. Price tag was $2. I picked the top up and it had a thud-like ring. Inspected it and found a crack. Rats. Just to be thorough I looked at the bottom piece and discovered a crack there, too. But, it did have "Made in Morocco" incised on the bottom.

Oh, well. If I'm patient another might come along.

I am a Goodwill, thrift store junky. I need my fix. Sooooo...because I couldn't fit a decent winter coat for MN in my luggage when I came back in October, I have been Goodwill hunting for a down coat that would cover my butt. MN winters are brutal. I also didn't want to pay big bucks because I have all that stuff in Ontario. I got to go check out the local thrift shops yesterday. I got a Columbia jacket (purple) with a down zip-out liner/jacket for $12.99. A friend told me that jacket sells for over $300. I got so many great things, including the ATK Baking book for $4.25. My Dad is mortified that I shop at the Goodwill. "That's for people on social assistance who can't afford to shop anywhere else. I could never go in there." Is that the sentiment? I shop at thrift stores because I am looking for things that might no longer be available and, well, I'm cheap. I don't want to pay full price for something if I can get a gently-used version of the same for a whole lot less.
Goodwill is for everyone to shop. The money that they make is used to help those who need it for job training, education etc. By shopping at Goodwill, you are helping people get a leg up. That's how most thrift stores work, they aren't necessarily just there for the poor to purchase things, but they use the proceeds to help those in need, so the more people that shop there, the more that they can accomplish.

+1 I have everything I need in Ontario, but hauling stuff on the plane, well, it just doesn't make sense.

Goodwill is for everyone to shop. The money that they make is used to help those who need it for job training, education etc. By shopping at Goodwill, you are helping people get a leg up. That's how most thrift stores work, they aren't necessarily just there for the poor to purchase things, but they use the proceeds to help those in need, so the more people that shop there, the more that they can accomplish.
+1 bakechef. Glad to hear from you!

Thanks, bakechef, for the info. That makes it more appealing.

I didn't know that there was a stigma attached to shopping at Goodwill. Wow, tnat's kinda weird. Who cares, you're shopping. And possibly getting a great deal. A millionaire would appreciate that.

Thanks, bakechef, for the info. That makes it more appealing.

I didn't know that there was a stigma attached to shopping at Goodwill. Wow, tnat's kinda weird. Who cares, you're shopping. And possibly getting a great deal. A millionaire would appreciate that.

I think the operative word there is "was" ;)

I don't go to Goodwill, etc, around us often because the pickin's seem slim. I've found better choices at shops in Amish country or in areas with thrift shops run by churches and hospital guilds. Those places are gold! I wonder if I could get Himself to stop at Goodwill in Millersburg when we spend Christmas with the kids. It isn't too far past where we go for his Trail bologna...

I am a Goodwill, thrift store junky...I'm cheap...
Most of the time I'm even cheaper - I don't shop at all! Except for food, of course. Also, I prefer the term "thrifty". Sounds more upbeat. ;)

When I am purging, I drop stuff off at the Goodwill. It broke my heart to send my brother's clothes to the Goodwill--he had such good taste and bought really nice clothes.

I do look for brand-name stuff at the Goodwill, so someone will have gotten some really nice clothes thanks to my brother's good taste. For me being that living in MN is a "gig," I will be able to recycle what I've picked up. My Dad wanted me to order a coat from Eddie Bauer. I just couldn't justify paying $160 for a coat when I have many coats at home. I am not quite as bad as my brother was, he had coats for every weather condition with gloves, hat, and scarf in the sleeve, but I have a lot of coats.

I have picked up LeCreuset pans, Lodge pans, a stainless wok that I use as a stovetop smoker, etc., etc., etc. I also have picked up additional pieces of my crystal glasses. BuckyTom, you never know what you will find at the Goodwill or other thrift stores. Great place to get quilts for dog beds.

I haul massive amounts of clothing to Goodwill, small kitchen appliances, books, etc. My only fear now is that my Mom will see something I've donated and buy it for me.

What a lot of folks don't know is that when the time comes for the kids to clean out the family home, Goodwill will often come in and finish what the kids didn't want. Called 'an estate cleanout.' I know my kids do not want my table, desk with matching cabinet for a computer, expensive lamps with silk shades, etc. They have been instructed to call Goodwill or the Salvation Army. There are some items they do not take. Mattresses for one. I think the reason is obvious.

Ten Things You Never Pass Up At Goodwill

https://www.aol.com/article/lifesty...txtlnkusaolp00001361#slide=7121884#fullscreen

I came across this site and just had to share it. #8 was a great find for me. I once found a very large silver spoon and still have it. Thanks Goodwill. It is all silver and I just polished it up and looks like I have had it for ages. I also over the years have found other soup (the old fashion kind of bowl) and keep them polished all the time. And I use them daily.

I also have a small collection of #5. Since they changed the formula for Pyrex, and folks are complaining about breakage, I am so happy that I had the good sense to collect the over the years. They are made with the old formula. And all are in blue.

#1 through #3 are on my list of collections. For #1 it is mostly platters.

I have made quite a collection for myself. Mostly of items that were in my mother's kitchen.

Thanks Katie H. for this thread.

Last edited:
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I'm going to jump up on my soapbox for a moment or two.

Goodwill, for those who are unaware, is a for-profit corporation that gets its merchandise (mostly) for free. They exploit low-wage workers (in my opinion) and offer them no benefits (health care or retirement) while the CEO and others at the corporate level make millions upon millions of dollars a year.

I will occasionally shop at goodwill to see what bargains I can find, but I will never, ever donate to them. Their profits are not used to benefit the poor.

Other charity shops, The Salvation Army in particular, operate in a similar manner, but are true non-profit organizations who use the money they raise by selling goods to help needy people. The Salvation Army runs many, many soup kitchens, crisis centers and missions designed to give homeless and destitute people a place to sleep and something to eat. I'm more than happy to donate to them from time to time.

I would never judge anyone for doing business with Goodwill, if that's your choice, but I want people to be aware of who they are and what they do. They do not exist for doing good works for the poor. They exist to make a big profit.

One of the things I love about the SA, is that you have never heard of any scandal regarding their organization. For the most part, the bell ringers in uniform are non paid volunteers. The others are paid basic state legal hourly rate. My niece rang a bell for about ten years straight. In the event (in this state) the SA do not have enough bell ringers, they let the Welfare Dept. know and they will send some of the recipients on welfare to ring a bell for the season. Mothers of very small children are exempt.

There are only two organizations that I will donate monies to. The first one is my local Salvation Army, located right here in my community. I know the cash they receive is spent here and not sent to the headquarters in Boston. And that includes what the bell ringers take in. My niece loved being a bell ringer. She had the good sense to dress for the weather always. And if it turned too cold and she wasn't dressed enough, fortunately her mother lived just around the corner from where she stood all day.

The second one is St. Jude's Hospital for Children. I think that one speaks for itself. Another organization that has never to my knowledge had any scandal about it.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I'm going to jump up on my soapbox for a moment or two.

Goodwill, for those who are unaware, is a for-profit corporation that gets its merchandise (mostly) for free. They exploit low-wage workers (in my opinion) and offer them no benefits (health care or retirement) while the CEO and others at the corporate level make millions upon millions of dollars a year...

I would never judge anyone for doing business with Goodwill, if that's your choice, but I want people to be aware of who they are and what they do. They do not exist for doing good works for the poor. They exist to make a big profit.
Sorry but that is not true. It's false information from an email hoax that has been going around the Internet for years. They provide "job training, employment placement services and other community-based programs for people who have disabilities, lack education or job experience, or face employment challenges." Undoubtedly, at least some of those people are poor.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/charities.asp

Scroll down to see its IRS classification and other information: https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.profile&ein=530196517

Last edited:

Goodwill, for those who are unaware, is a for-profit corporation that gets its merchandise (mostly) for free. They exploit low-wage workers (in my opinion) and offer them no benefits (health care or retirement) while the CEO and others at the corporate level make millions upon millions of dollars a year.

I will occasionally shop at goodwill to see what bargains I can find, but I will never, ever donate to them. Their profits are not used to benefit the poor.

Other charity shops, The Salvation Army in particular, operate in a similar manner, but are true non-profit organizations who use the money they raise by selling goods to help needy people. The Salvation Army runs many, many soup kitchens, crisis centers and missions designed to give homeless and destitute people a place to sleep and something to eat. I'm more than happy to donate to them from time to time.

But...by shopping there for bargains, aren't you supporting them? :huh:

Back
Top Bottom