"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-04-2016, 03:14 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Okay, everyone, ''Yeah, Goodwill."

Did it again today. Was looking for something else when I was grabbed by my arm and dragged over to the "wares" section of the store. Must've been an invisible person because I certainly didn't see anyone.

Long story short...I left the store with a darned near untouched Calphalon nonstick grill pan for $7. I checked online and locally and found the same one on sale at our area Kohl's for about $80.

Lucky for us I bought some steaks at the market just before I stopped at Goodwill. I've had a pretty good run of luck there the last few months.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:33 PM   #2
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Did it again today. Was looking for something else when I was grabbed by my arm and dragged over to the "wares" section of the store. Must've been an invisible person because I certainly didn't see anyone.

Long story short...I left the store with a darned near untouched Calphalon nonstick grill pan for $7. I checked online and locally and found the same one on sale at our area Kohl's for about $80.

Lucky for us I bought some steaks at the market just before I stopped at Goodwill. I've had a pretty good run of luck there the last few months.
Great find Katie!
Next time you go, can I tag along with you?

It's been a while sense I've been to a Good Will store.
Found a brand new, as you call it Merry go round with all the accessories and then some. Our adopted son to this day uses it. Calls me still, to thank me for that. He always wanted one after seeing mine.

I think the month might have something to do with all the goodies.
The merry go round was found in October. Other goods as well. Have you noticed a pattern to. Or is just me?

Maybe it's the people moving during the spring, summer months that are unloading everything.. Perhaps it's by chance?

Munky Badger. :)

Old 10-04-2016, 03:46 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Not sure about any pattern to how things show up. However, this store is in a college town and I can always count on a lot of extra "stuff" when the school year ends. Some of these students must live pretty well from the looks of the furnishings and housewares. A lot of it better than I had when I was a newlywed in the late '60s.

Also, during the summer/warmer months, Tuesdays are always a good day because the facility has processed most of what was donated after yard sale leftovers.

Other than those two instances, there doesn't appear to be any thing else that might influence the variety, or lack thereof, of goodies for sale.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:58 PM   #4
Master Chef

What a deal on that Calphalon grill pan, Katie!
Old 10-04-2016, 05:47 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Did it again today...I've had a pretty good run of luck there the last few months.
Some people have all the luck! It seems like the resale shops around here offer lesser quality items than out your way. I have had very good success, however, when shopping in Ohio's Amish Country, and also in church or hospital thrift shops in Bloomington IL or Williamsburg, VA.

Have fun and enjoy your new grill...and especially all the delicious goodies that will come off of it.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:00 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Some people have all the luck! It seems like the resale shops around here offer lesser quality items than out your way. I have had very good success, however, when shopping in Ohio's Amish Country, and also in church or hospital thrift shops in Bloomington IL or Williamsburg, VA.

Have fun and enjoy your new grill...and especially all the delicious goodies that will come off of it.
I do regularly visit other "specialty" shops in my area. There are several run by the local hospitals, along with some that are Catholic church-based. The only real difference among any of them is the pricing. Although, I can't say any of them are high.

My current "quest" is grandchild-related since we're going to welcome two more in 2017. One in February, the other in March. One of each flavor. Last week I picked up an absolutely adorable and pristine little girl's outfit for $1.59. As rapidly as the little ones grow in the early months, it only makes sense.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:23 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I love deals
Old 10-04-2016, 07:42 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I love deals
Me too, they give me some kind of mood elevating rush that is worth more than the deal itself!!!
Old 10-04-2016, 08:21 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

That's amazing, Katie!
Old 10-14-2016, 11:24 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:

My charity shop best buy was last winter's smart coat. Cream coloured, 100% wool, expensive German label, full-length coat = £20 (about $30 at last year's exchange rate). It was brand new - didn't look as it it had been worn. I looked it up on the internet - saw that its price, new, was the equivalent in Deutsch marks of about £250!!!

I love charity shops.