Okey, dokey....did it again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
Was "grazing" one of our local Goodwill stores today. Found an few nibbles, which I put in my cart, but the thing that really rang my chimes was a beautiful cobalt blue one-piece swimsuit by Catalina.

First of all blue is my favorite color and "cobalt" just takes the cake.

I did a little more perusing and ended up with getting the swimsuit at $1.30, along with two fabulous Rogers Bros. silver pieces and a Martin Yan cookbook.

Left the store about $9.00 lighter.

Congratulations!

I love charity shops (which is what they call them round here). My last two "dressed up" winter coats came from the Cancer Research shop. Both brand new, 100% wool, with their original (expensive) shop tags still on them. One cost me £20 and the other £10 (approx. $30 and $15!). I love it when someone I know to be "sniffy" about what she calls "second hand" shops admires one of my charity bargains. Do I confess? You can bet your life I do!

I started frequenting charity shops when I first got Tetley. Anything with a horse's head or a fancy "top" show-jumping person's name on it cost a fortune in the equestrian shops - £80 for a lightweight fleece with a "name" printed on it in the horse-y supermarket and it wasn't a very good quality fleece!!! After spotting a donated waterproof jacket, ideal for the stables & priced at a meagre £7, in the window of the "Save The Children" shop I was away and never looked back! Tetley didn't care - so long as there was a carrot in it for him.

My best bargain was 2 almost brand new "Le Creuset" saucepans at approximately $3 the pair.

Congratulations!

I love charity shops (which is what they call them round here). My last two "dressed up" winter coats came from the Cancer Research shop. Both brand new, 100% wool, with their original (expensive) shop tags still on them. One cost me £20 and the other £10 (approx. $30 and $15!). I love it when someone I know to be "sniffy" about what she calls "second hand" shops admires one of my charity bargains. Do I confess? You can bet your life I do!

I started frequenting charity shops when I first got Tetley. Anything with a horse's head or a fancy "top" show-jumping person's name on it cost a fortune in the equestrian shops - £80 for a lightweight fleece with a "name" printed on it in the horse-y supermarket and it wasn't a very good quality fleece!!! After spotting a donated waterproof jacket, ideal for the stables & priced at a meagre £7, in the window of the "Save The Children" shop I was away and never looked back! Tetley didn't care - so long as there was a carrot in it for him.

My best bargain was 2 almost brand new "Le Creuset" saucepans at approximately $3 the pair.

Yes, isn't it fun? Many/most of my purchases include items that still have their manufacturer's price tags on them or in their original packaging. What a treat!

I approach grocery shopping in a similar manner...coupons, specials, multiple purchases that provide a great discount (only if we use the product), etc.

Yes, isn't it fun? Many/most of my purchases include items that still have their manufacturer's price tags on them or in their original packaging. What a treat!

I approach grocery shopping in a similar manner...coupons, specials, multiple purchases that provide a great discount (only if we use the product), etc.
There was a fascinating programme on the television a while ago about the coupon thing in the US. Shoppers were collecting coupons and paying for huge grocery bills with them. One woman got more than $700 worth of goods and only had to find $18 in money!!! Nothing like that here. The best we get is a coupon for 5 pence off a product as an incentive in a magazine advert or a "bogof" ("buy one get one free") offer in stores. Sometimes something I intend buying has a special "two-fer" eg £1 for one, or two for £1.50 so if it's something I was going to buy anyway on that trip I buy the two and put the saving in the "Mad Money" jar. Builds up a nice little nest egg for the Christmas goodies

Last edited:
If anybody ever comes across old drum equipment while shopping in second hand shops feel free to buy it for me..I collect older stuff..we don't get much up here but there are some treasures to be found down there in the US..I envy this about you..
(just kidding of course) but..if you are ever so inclined..I'd take a nice '65 Ludwig Supraphonic for 100 bucks..lol

There was a fascinating programme on the television a while ago about the coupon thing in the US. Shoppers were collecting coupons and paying for huge grocery bills with them. One woman got more than $700 worth of goods and only had to find $18 in money!!! Nothing like that here. The best we get is a coupon for 5 pence off a product as an incentive in a magazine advert or a "bogof" ("buy one get one free") offer in stores. Sometimes something I intend buying has a special "two-fer" eg £1 for one, or two for £1.50 so if it's something I was going to buy anyway on that trip I buy the two and put the saving in the "Mad Money" jar. Builds up a nice little nest egg for the Christmas goodies

No, I'm not a couponaholic like those women I see in the market with three-ring binders full of coupons, all categorized. Seems to me like a JOB! Waaaay to much work for me. I won't even consider a coupon unless it's something we already consume/use. To me, it's like spending money just because of the coupon. The only time I will use a coupon for an item we don't use is to see if it's something we were curious about and want to try.

I also have a "mad money" type of stash that is set aside as our "vacation/play" fund. Rationalization tells me that that is money would've been spent anyway...why not put it away for some "fun" expenditure?

Buck used to say I could make a penny scream. Glenn has the same opinion. Whatever. I just can't abide wasting anything...especially hard-earned money.

My daughter goes to second hand book shops, she got me my favourite recipe book by Margaret Fulton, it's 34 years old from memory. And the best curry recipe book I have. I think she paid $2 for it. Better than all my expensive books, even my signed by chefs books. $2 book. Best Buy ever.

Russ

My daughter goes to second hand book shops, she got me my favourite recipe book by Margaret Fulton, it's 34 years old from memory. And the best curry recipe book I have. I think she paid $2 for it. Better than all my expensive books, even my signed by chefs books. $2 book. Best Buy ever.

Russ

Gotcha on this one. I was in an area Goodwill store today and spied an old edition of the Betty Crocker Cook Book. As a hardback (ring-binder really) it was classified as hardback and $1.99. But, upon inspection, nearly a third of the volume was missing. Never mind.

No, I'm not a couponaholic like those women I see in the market with three-ring binders full of coupons, all categorized. Seems to me like a JOB! Waaaay to much work for me. I won't even consider a coupon unless it's something we already consume/use. To me, it's like spending money just because of the coupon. The only time I will use a coupon for an item we don't use is to see if it's something we were curious about and want to try.

I also have a "mad money" type of stash that is set aside as our "vacation/play" fund. Rationalization tells me that that is money would've been spent anyway...why not put it away for some "fun" expenditure?

Buck used to say I could make a penny scream. Glenn has the same opinion. Whatever. I just can't abide wasting anything...especially hard-earned money.
I have a friend who is on disability. She is a genius with coupons and points and loyalty programs. She managed to buy toothpaste for negative $6 yesterday. She does spend as much time on it as if it was a job. But, if she could manage a job, it would cost her money in lost benefits. So it's worth the time and effort for her.

Back
Top Bottom