Old Favorite from the past

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Someone in another thread mentioned banana pudding. Then sparked a memory of eating those cheap, but yummy frozen cream pies with my dad. My favorite was the banana cream pie, with the whipped cream ring on the outside. I loved it cold. It was a sweet and refreshing desert for a boy while watching the Wild Wild West on a Friday night. Good memories.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Someone in another thread mentioned banana pudding. Then sparked a memory of eating those cheap, but yummy frozen cream pies with my dad. My favorite was the banana cream pie, with the whipped cream ring on the outside. I loved it cold. It was a sweet and refreshing desert for a boy while watching the Wild Wild West on a Friday night. Good memories.

OH Jim West rocked!! I have the show on DVD!!

When we were in our early teens we ate those. We always liked them half frozen.

That was when we thought factory food was superior to our own home cooking.

We were just plain stupid!

LOL TV dinners were the best thing since sliced bread!! LOL TeeHee

I used to love Chef Boy-Ar-Dee pizza and spaghetti kits. I and my teenage buddies would buy a package of sliced pepperoni to add to it fire it up in the oven. We thought it was delicious. I purchased oin about a year ago as i hadn't had one in twenty years or more. I just wanted to relive a memory. To my surprise, the pizza was terrible. I think I'd still like the banana cream pie though. I'll have to try one in the next month or so.

I had the same experience with hamburger helper that I had with the pizza. To my tastes, the stuff is truly gross tasting. But at one time, I loved the stuff. Oh how my tastes have changed over the years, and definitely for the better.

Broardcast Corned Beef Hash in the can. Fried brown and crispy served with nothing but ketchup!!

There was a concoction that was made by Castleberry's. It was called Georgia Hash. I haven't seen it in years. That was some good stuff. 'Course it likely had some pieces and parts in there that some folks wouldn't care to hear about. :LOL:

I used to love Chef Boy-Ar-Dee pizza and spaghetti kits. I and my teenage buddies would buy a package of sliced pepperoni to add to it fire it up in the oven. We thought it was delicious. I purchased oin about a year ago as i hadn't had one in twenty years or more. I just wanted to relive a memory. To my surprise, the pizza was terrible. I think I'd still like the banana cream pie though. I'll have to try one in the next month or so.

I had the same experience with hamburger helper that I had with the pizza. To my tastes, the stuff is truly gross tasting. But at one time, I loved the stuff. Oh how my tastes have changed over the years, and definitely for the better.

Same here with hamburger helper, Rice-a-roni, stovetop stuffing. I don't like a lot of things I used to. I'm 64 now, and I'm tired of the taste of bell peppers. I stopped using pepper for several years before I realized it provides necessary nutrients.

We've all gotten pretty good at making similar dishes such as the hamburger helper ones so that the original tastes nowhere near as good. IMO

Same here with hamburger helper, Rice-a-roni, stovetop stuffing. I don't like a lot of things I used to. I'm 64 now, and I'm tired of the taste of bell peppers. I stopped using pepper for several years before I realized it provides necessary nutrients.

We've all gotten pretty good at making similar dishes such as the hamburger helper ones so that the original tastes nowhere near as good. IMO
I also make homemade versions of them.

OH Jim West rocked!! I have the show on DVD!!
I remember the UK TV cooking icon Fanny Craddock, her husband Johny would give wine recommendation wearing a dinner suit and monocle.It was the BBC at its best, her prog "How to make your doughnuts taste like Fannies" is Iconic over here.

Dolly Madison Pies, they were small individual pies shaped like a calzone and had a glaze on them similar to what you find on packaged glazed doughnuts. My favorites were the apple and the chocolate cream ones.

they dont even make it anymore
Hamburger helpers rice oriental
darn it I loved it soooo....i have tried w/o sucess to mimic it

We were never allowed to have Hamburger Helper. My dad worked for an industrial rubber supplier, and they made conveyor belts for the factory where HH was made. My dad said that they went thru belts like nobody's business, and HE wasn't eating anything that was full of rubber. :LOL:

I did love the little individual frozen pot pies. My dad didn't like those either, so we only got them when he was not home for dinner.

My dad was a meat and potatoes guy, so convenience foods were seldom seen at our table. I never had Kraft Mac and Cheese til I went to college.

they dont even make it anymore
Hamburger helpers rice oriental
darn it I loved it soooo....i have tried w/o sucess to mimic it

Rice-A-Roni makes an oriental rice that I used to love to make adding kielbasa for a one dish meal.

I bought some recently and they had removed the almond slivers they used to have. It was lousy.:(

We were never allowed to have Hamburger Helper. My dad worked for an industrial rubber supplier, and they made conveyor belts for the factory where HH was made. My dad said that they went thru belts like nobody's business, and HE wasn't eating anything that was full of rubber. :LOL:

I did love the little individual frozen pot pies. My dad didn't like those either, so we only got them when he was not home for dinner.

My dad was a meat and potatoes guy, so convenience foods were seldom seen at our table. I never had Kraft Mac and Cheese til I went to college.
im sure as a kid i ate worse things than rubber,,,,lol
there were HUGE blackberry patches near my house and we ate oodles unwashed,,,ill bet we ate bugs,,,,and worse,lol
i loved those lil pot pies
and im old enough to when there were no microwaves just yet
you put em in the oven,,,in a lil metal pie tin they were
and they were HOTTTTTTTT as hot can be when baked

Rice-A-Roni makes an oriental rice that I used to love to make adding kielbasa for a one dish meal.

I bought some recently and they had removed the almond slivers they used to have. It was lousy.:(
awww,,,why do they mess wiv perfection?:huh:

im sure as a kid i ate worse things than rubber,,,,lol
there were HUGE blackberry patches near my house and we ate oodles unwashed,,,ill bet we ate bugs,,,,and worse,lol
i loved those lil pot pies
and im old enough to when there were no microwaves just yet
you put em in the oven,,,in a lil metal pie tin they were
and they were HOTTTTTTTT as hot can be when baked

I think it's Banquet brand that still makes those pot pies, or is it Swanson? In any case, They're still a treat.:)

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom