"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-14-2009, 11:55 PM   #1
Master Chef

Old Kitchens

I don't really know where this belongs. I live in a house built in 1854. I have all the modcons, but there are some times when the layout of the house or the fact that we have no central A/C, or that when it hits below zero ... well, anyone else have an old house, and how do you deal with the problems?

Old 02-15-2009, 01:39 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Old House

My house in Eureka, NV was built in 1878.
It has been completely remodeled inside. Lowered ceilings, wall to wall carpet, etc. We heat with a pellet stove and electric baseboard heaters. Closing off the part of the house that we don't use.
Very large kitchen, with a 6 ft. electric baseboard heater. It takes for ever to heat when the temp is in the 20's or colder. I have been known to assist it with the oven, using caution.

We only go there from May to October. We are at 6,481 ft. and get snow the first week are so most every May We have had snow in June and September.
Break out the "WOOLIES".

Charlie

Old 02-16-2009, 08:26 AM   #3
Master Chef

As I said, the main part of our house was built in 1854. I do not know when the kitchen addition was put on, but have it on previous owners' children's word that it was there around the turn of the century. We have baseboard heat, which judging from other previous owners was probably put in during the late 60s (1960s that is!), before that the house was heated by a coal or wood burning stove in most rooms, and fireplaces in what was the front parlor downstairs and what we use as the master bedroom upstairs (the oldest part of the house). The heat was not able to keep up, though, in the worst weather last month. I started supplementing it with the oven, as you describe, but do you know what works better? get all four burners at high, and put a pot of water on each burner, and let that water boil (refilling periodically). While you're at it, this is a good time to make a hearty soup or stew. Oh, a good time to ladle out some of that water for a cup or pot of tea. Warms the kitchen better than the oven, and adds some much needed humidity to the air. As in many old homes, the bathroom is attached to the kitchen, and that room is at the end of the house and really gets cold. I often wake at o'dark-thirty and start a load of laundry to keep the water flowing, then go back to sleep. On the worst days this winter, I run the shower in that room on high and hot until the room is full of steam. Yes, my water bill will be a bear, but probably cheaper than what some around town (most of us live in 100+ year old homes) are paying for frozen and burst pipes.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:29 AM   #4
Master Chef

I remember living at high altitude in Nevada. I remember learning to cook, but having to look for special recipes for baked goods. Mom was sicker than a dog when we first moved there, for some reason it didn't affect us kids (I've had altitude sickness once since then, only when I've flown to a high altitude location; when we drive it is gradual enough that it doesn't affect me).
Old 02-16-2009, 08:37 AM   #5
Executive Chef

You might be able to install electric heat wrap tape on your water pipes and can add RV antifreeze to your drain traps and toilet tank.
Sounds like you might have room for and benefit from having an Aga cooker in your kitchen-
http://www.agafoodservice.com/1766.htm
Old 02-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
You might be able to install electric heat wrap tape on your water pipes and can add RV antifreeze to your drain traps and toilet tank.
Sounds like you might have room for and benefit from having an Aga cooker in your kitchen-
A home with an Aga cooker can use less energy than one without

A few years ago I had the pleasure of dining in a stone cottage in rural Derbyshire England, and the cottage had an Aga....I asked to come back and take a photo of it, it was incredible.....pricey but really really nice.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:27 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I'm not sure when my house was built but it was not originally built with central heat. It had a pot belly stove and there is stilll a whole in the kitchen where the original piping went from the stove in the kitchen to the central "room" in the hopes that the heat would circulate from there. My house is literally a star and the "room" is the center of a 5 pointed star. It's been upgraded but every six months we have to patch cracks in the drywall and repaint (or ignore the big cracks). Central heat was put in and the current owner put in an amazing heating/cooling system and insulated the heck out of the place. The sound is horrid, I can't hear the television in the kitchen and they share a common wall. It's a quirky little house but I like it.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:25 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
A few years ago I had the pleasure of dining in a stone cottage in rural Derbyshire England, and the cottage had an Aga....I asked to come back and take a photo of it, it was incredible.....pricey but really really nice.
Sure wish I had room for an Aga in my tiny abode but I guess it's better suited for cooler climates or people with more powerful A/C.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:38 AM   #9
Master Chef

An Aga? Have you priced them? You must live in a different financial zone than I do! It wouldn't be practical anyway, don't they stay hot all the time? I don't have central A/C and summers would be a bear. They are lovely, though. I went to a store somewhere (can't remember where, I think maybe in Indiana) that was geared to people who don't or can't (don't because they are Amish; can't because they live out in the boonies) use public utilities. The stoves (Aga was just one brand, there were several) were so beautiful, but very, very, very expensive.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:43 AM   #10
Executive Chef

The Aga is usually kept on all the time. That's why I mentioned A/C. Guess it's a matter of priorities; I'd rather have an Aga than stuff like cable TV, central A/C or a fancy boat. You should be able to shut an Aga down for the summer.
Glad to hear you've at least seen one.