"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 04-27-2013, 02:05 AM   #1
Executive Chef
Old Threads: Goldie Oldies or Moldy Oldies?

bumping old threads (should i stay or should i go now?) isn't it time we finally had this discussion, put it out there in the open?

fact is, many of us have been voicing opinions all along on this topic, every time an archived thread is resurrected. this is evidenced variously by posts expressing thanks and appreciation, dismissal or disdain, or those of belated recognition, as in "oh s__t! i didn't realize when i posted... this thread is ten years old!!!"

so, what do you all think about being exposed to old threads--yes/no or depends? would it help matters any if we had a way of flagging these threads of a 'certain age', so as not to be unnecessarily surprised or ambushed...just sayin'

vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:14 AM   #2
Executive Chef
I think it's great when an old thread is resurrected. Perhaps it only comes to life briefly, but that's okay.....if it becomes popular for awhile then great, if not than it will disappear from whence it came ;). Sometimes the OP is no longer active, but the topic may be very timely and interesting just the same.

If you don't like the food, have more wine!
Somebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:15 AM   #3
Master Chef
Some of the old threads are more interesting than some of the new threads and vice versa.

The good ones bounce around for a few days and the bad ones sink like a rock.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:56 AM   #4
Traveling Welcome Wagon
I don't have a problem with old threads being resurrected. It does kind of bug me when someone asked for help years ago, got many good suggestions, and then someone attempts to help now (usually repeating advice already given). But for the most part it doesn't bother me.

I needed to resurrect an old thread a few months ago. I believe it said something like, "This is an old thread, are you sure you want to post?" or something like that. I can't remember for sure.
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:26 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
I'm amused when a newbie resurrects an old thread offering advice to the OP - I think we've all done that when we were new. I do agree that they should read the entire thread first, but there's no way to ensure that. And it's interesting to read old threads and add to them, the way BT has the last few days - by announcing that it's a bump or something, so people know. So, I have no problem with it.
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
Executive Chef
I enjoy seeing old threads come back to life. As mentioned before me, some of those are quite interesting.

I am one of the guilty ones who answered a request that was several years old .. saw someone else had replied, added my 2 pennies worth and someone pointed out to me - quite rudely I must say - that the thread was old.

Sometimes replies are made to other replies .. in all honesty .. how many of you ALWAYS look at the start date on a thread?????????

Anyway ... I like some of the old threads as they are quite entertaining as well as informative.
MrsLMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef
Old threads are often resurrected by new members who are searching for a topic. I have no problem at all with it. It's sometimes fun to go back a read responses from 7-8 years ago.

What really irritates me about this is that sometimes I don't notice it's an old thread and post an answer. But that's just my lack of attention.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
Executive Chef
I don't mind old threads at all. Before I open a thread, I check to see who started it, how many replies it has and how many views it has had. If it has 2000+ views, then I know it is an old thread. Of course I would hate to see an old thread appear in which I really made a fool of myself
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:02 AM   #9
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
I don't have a problem with old threads, but yes, trying to help an OP who has not even responded in the past...can be crazy making. I'm all for helping out, but I think reading the thread first to make sure you are not repeating the same advice over and over is sensible. Now, thanking the previous posters for the advice is nice, too, especially if it has helped you out when you have searched for an answer.
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:23 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
Personally, I dont think that old threads (greater than a year old) should be resurrected.

My reasons for this are that the question or subject has been discussed fairly well and there is not really much more to add, also the original posters may no longer be members for one reason or another

Another concern would be spam

People could always start a new thread on the subject linking to the old thread maybe

Just my thoughts

All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote