"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 01:11 PM   #1001
Chef Extraordinaire

Ok..we went out last night to celebrate my daughter's birthday...had a grand time and pretty good food(I am hard to impress) Anyway I order a Wild Turkey 101 neat....It comes to the table...the smell is wrong..the taste not right.. Instead of bothering the little waitress I walk to the bar..had a "conversation" with the bar-keep..He poured me another out of a WT 101 bottle.....returned to the table.. after a few sips..THIS IS NOT WILD TURKEY! rather than make scene I let it go! Towards the end of the evening I had a chance to "visit" with the Manager..He came back later an said he agreed..something was not right. Brought me another drink out of a "fresh" bottle...This time was WT 101. He comped(sp) the drinks!
My younger son worked tables for a spell while in school and he said the owner's regularly put Taka vodka into Grey Goose bottles...So anyway Buyer beware!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Old 02-13-2007, 01:52 PM   #1002
Executive Chef

Had the same crap happen to me! Nothing like ruining a night with the first cocktail.

Old 02-13-2007, 02:04 PM   #1003
Executive Chef

UncleB, thats just cr*p! At least he comped the drinks. I always wonder about this too, being a vodka snob I always get Belvedere or GG. And on a few occasions it didnt taste so good!
Old 02-13-2007, 02:20 PM   #1004
Chef Extraordinaire

Well I may could be "duped" on Vodka, gin, rum,scotch maybe.. but not Bourbons...especially those that I drink and have in my bunker!!
I am very familiar with the Wild Turkey bourbons...I love WT Rare Breed...
Most food joints, around here at least, don't offer the Top Shelf labels/brands..rather going with the "well" brands...Lower shelf labels and charging Big time prices....Alcohol is "big bucks"(profit) in the restaurant business! "Call" brands/labels they really "take care of business"

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Old 02-14-2007, 10:45 AM   #1005
Executive Chef

I took a bartending class years ago. This is what's called "Marrying a Bottle"...and if there are any bar/restaraunt owners reading this, you know well that it is very much illegal.

Speaking of bar etiquette, what ever happened to "Last pour is on the house" rule?
Old 02-14-2007, 12:29 PM   #1006
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
Ok..we went out last night to celebrate my daughter's birthday...had a grand time and pretty good food(I am hard to impress) Anyway I order a Wild Turkey 101 neat....It comes to the table...the smell is wrong..the taste not right.. Instead of bothering the little waitress I walk to the bar..had a "conversation" with the bar-keep..He poured me another out of a WT 101 bottle.....returned to the table.. after a few sips..THIS IS NOT WILD TURKEY! rather than make scene I let it go! Towards the end of the evening I had a chance to "visit" with the Manager..He came back later an said he agreed..something was not right. Brought me another drink out of a "fresh" bottle...This time was WT 101. He comped(sp) the drinks!
My younger son worked tables for a spell while in school and he said the owner's regularly put Taka vodka into Grey Goose bottles...So anyway Buyer beware!
Okay I have to fess up.....Forgive me dad ...... when I was in my late teens my girlfriends and I decided we wanted to make ourselves some Screwdrivers. Well dad had a large bottle .... I think its called a 5th....of Vodka and we proceeded to make ourselves a drink and then another and before we knew it there was only like a 4th left. Well I knew dad wasn't a vodka drinker and still wasn't sure why the heck he had it but I had the brilliant idea to just add water. Well little did I know that dad ended up giving that bottle to the local bar that he frequented... . Those poor poor customers and not to mention the bartender whom I'm sure got many complaints.

Sorry for you imposter Uncle Bob!
Old 02-14-2007, 02:18 PM   #1007
Chef Extraordinaire

I have spent all morning getting various Microsoft security updates downloaded and installed on my home computer so that I could log into the VPN (virtual private network) at the office. Many hours later, I still can't connect because so many others are trying to work from home like me!

It's Wednesday and I can only bill for 6 hours of work this week so far.
Tomorrow's gonna be a loooooooooong day.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:21 PM   #1008
Everymom

Ugh. You know the best thing about working from home mudbug? No one is around to tell you not to drink on the job.

I completely understand your frustration and sympathize. Hope it all works out soon.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:24 PM   #1009
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm going to take that as permission, Alix! I'll wait until 3 pm, just to be ladylike.

Thanks for the pat on the back and the sympathy.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:26 PM   #1010
Everymom

You know, as my Dad used to say, "the sun is over the yardarm SOMEWHERE in the world".

I know its only a half hour away, but hey, in Europe they are finished dinner and its brandy time.

Closed Thread