"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 09:24 PM   #1021
Master Chef

I hate those days where it seems like all you do is give other people money, jkath!

We've had more frustration in the last 24 hours than anyone should have! DH was able to get home to help clear out from the storm. We had about 5-6" of snow, topped by a good couple inches of ice, then more snow. DH got one swipe of the driveway done with the snow blower and a tire blew out! Luckily, the car garage up the road from us said that if we could get the tire there, they'd fix it. We couldn't get the tire off so DH had to load the whole blower in the back of the car, just about breaking his back in the process.

Today, we had our new mattress delivered. We hated to spend the $$ right now but we really, really needed a new one. They guys brought in the new one, and as they took the old one down the steps the box springs got caught on the banister. Rather than lifting up the box springs, they just rammed right through, ripping our banister off! They claimed they didn't do it and that it was like that when they got here. Ha! DH refused to sign the delivery slip saying that everything was OK, so they took back the new mattress, brought the old one back in, dragging it through the slush. DH spent all day on the phone with the store and the store's headquarters in MD and he was pretty much told tough--take the mattress or not. They're standing by their delivery guys who swear they did nothing and won't believe DH.

Sofie is still working on her miserable molar, had her 15 mo check-up today and is having a tough time from the shot they gave her. I woke up yesterday with a horrendous headache and was told today that I have yet another sinus infection. I have a dentist appt next week and DH has an eye Dr appt and both offices called today to tell us that suddenly they don't have any insurance record for us--ins has accidentally dropped us and now we have to get that straightened out, too!

Let's hope tomorrow is a little easier!

Old 02-15-2007, 09:24 PM   #1022
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
boy do I need to vent...
Yesterday I got 2 new tires to replace the balding ones! (*ouch!*)
Last night dh's car's engine nearly overheated, so he got a rental car (*little ouch*) and today his buddy, the mechanic said it needed a new water pump (*ouch!!)
Today my house only had cold water. So, I tried to restart the pilot light. No luck, so the Gas Company guy said since my water heater was only a couple of years old, it was the "new model that nobody can get into", so, yep, you guessed it, tomorrow I have to buy and have installed a new one. (*ouch!!!)
I just finished paying the sliding door guy (*ouch!!!!)

and now I'm taking the kids over to mil's for their hot showers.
Sorry jkath....."When it rains it pours"!

Old 02-16-2007, 12:16 AM   #1023
Hospitality Queen

tell ya what, I'll just take some rain and get rid of this warm spell! That would make me happy!
Actually, I can at least say that my new door is beautiful. Here's Milgard's stock photo of it:
Old 02-16-2007, 07:04 AM   #1024
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Wow Jkath, that door would make any day a little sunnier!! We are also looking for a glass door into the balcone of our new flat, that is one inspiration!! And look at that shiny floor that reflects the beautiful door!! I hope you won't have to vent about how hard you have to work on keeping it that way!!

Ugh, life is full of fun and games, isn't it PA!! As if going to see a doc is not bad enough, problems with insurance!! I really hope you will all be fit soon so you won't have to worry about that, and those matress people... that is some customer service, it is not an Italian company is it? (sounds like something happens regularly here!!) Chances are you have yet to talk to the right person or department, you ought to be entitled for a proper compensation for the damage!! Try persisting and not let them have their way. I will keep my fingers crossed for ya!
Old 02-16-2007, 08:52 AM   #1025
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Baker
I hate those days where it seems like all you do is give other people money, jkath!

We've had more frustration in the last 24 hours than anyone should have! DH was able to get home to help clear out from the storm. We had about 5-6" of snow, topped by a good couple inches of ice, then more snow. DH got one swipe of the driveway done with the snow blower and a tire blew out! Luckily, the car garage up the road from us said that if we could get the tire there, they'd fix it. We couldn't get the tire off so DH had to load the whole blower in the back of the car, just about breaking his back in the process.

Today, we had our new mattress delivered. We hated to spend the $$ right now but we really, really needed a new one. They guys brought in the new one, and as they took the old one down the steps the box springs got caught on the banister. Rather than lifting up the box springs, they just rammed right through, ripping our banister off! They claimed they didn't do it and that it was like that when they got here. Ha! DH refused to sign the delivery slip saying that everything was OK, so they took back the new mattress, brought the old one back in, dragging it through the slush. DH spent all day on the phone with the store and the store's headquarters in MD and he was pretty much told tough--take the mattress or not. They're standing by their delivery guys who swear they did nothing and won't believe DH.

Sofie is still working on her miserable molar, had her 15 mo check-up today and is having a tough time from the shot they gave her. I woke up yesterday with a horrendous headache and was told today that I have yet another sinus infection. I have a dentist appt next week and DH has an eye Dr appt and both offices called today to tell us that suddenly they don't have any insurance record for us--ins has accidentally dropped us and now we have to get that straightened out, too!

Let's hope tomorrow is a little easier!
Boy you too had a rotten day...sorry PA! Your story with the delivery guys reminds me of the last home we renovated and sold. I'd spent 2 days hanging wallpaper, paining and putting up the trim in one room. The following day the carpet layers came and totally destroyed all my work. Wallpaper was torn, gouges in the trim and the paint was all scratched up....not to mention the huge gouge in the oak trim on the lower landings stairs where they missed with what appears to be a hammer head. I was devestated. Company made it right and paid for my time and gave us a store credit for all the materials needed but again it took me all the time again to go back to the store and to do all the work all over again. Come to find out the company just hired out to have the carpet laid....it wasn't even one of their employees. I'll def. be sure to ask that before I have carpet laid in this home.

Hope you and jkaths day is better today!

Old 02-16-2007, 09:54 AM   #1026
Executive Chef

Oh Sizz, don't scare me... we are about to do the complete rennovation of our new flat!!

We are right now at the stage of choosing which group of interior workers, we know we need to be very careful to select the right people... not an easy task!!
Old 02-16-2007, 10:06 AM   #1027
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
Oh Sizz, don't scare me... we are about to do the complete rennovation of our new flat!!

We are right now at the stage of choosing which group of interior workers, we know we need to be very careful to select the right people... not an easy task!!
Sorry but I'm just as scared as you because within the next month or so I'll be tackling the painting / trim project in a room and having the carpet installed. I'm going to tell the workers straight up about my prior experience as soon as they come inside because I want them to be extra careful. I'll do it nice and sweet though. I'll be especially devestated this time because I'm doing a special painting technique where it'll look antique or old world on the trim and thats extremely time consuming.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:27 AM   #1028
Executive Chef

Cris is also very wary, as he already have some less than pleasant experience with this kind of workers. Actually he loves and very good at DIY and would have done it all by himself only if he had the time.
But he may have to spend a whole lot of time all the same supervising them, just to make sure they will get it right. Unfortunately I, who can be available for the task most of the time, am pretty much useless, having lived in apartment complexes or rented property for most of my life, this is my first "home improvement" experience ever, I really have no idea what to watch out for!!

Well, good luck to both of us!!
Old 02-16-2007, 11:30 AM   #1029
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
Cris is also very wary, as he already have some less than pleasant experience with this kind of workers. Actually he loves and very good at DIY and would have done it all by himself only if he had the time.
But he may have to spend a whole lot of time all the same supervising them, just to make sure they will get it right. Unfortunately I, who can be available for the task most of the time, am pretty much useless, having lived in apartment complexes or rented property for most of my life, this is my first "home improvement" experience ever, I really have no idea what to watch out for!!

Well, good luck to both of us!!
Bless you my child...I'll be thinking of you. No matter how long you expect it to take, multipy it by 4.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:36 AM   #1030
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Baked
Bless you my child...I'll be thinking of you. No matter how long you expect it to take, multipy it by 4.
Tell me about it!! We acquired this flat at the end of last year, and Cris thought we would be moving in by March, and nothing have actually started as yet!!