"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 02:14 PM   #1031
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to babyhuggies
my thoughts are with all of you doing home renos---yuck-but so nice in the end.

I'm venting because i'm sick again(or still). It is in my chest.Feels like i'm breathing through a sheet of paper.Always coughing.I was taking a chest decongestint,but started feeling better so stopped ,but now 3 days later i feel worse than before.Since the BF is gone for 10 days at a time i'm the left doing it all.We live so far out of town,and when it snows oh my i hate it the driveway is so long and so much work(no,we don't have a snowblower.i wish) I love my girls,but i am so tired of the mentally of a teenager--only thinking of themselves first...it's a little hard to take sometimes ,more so now when i feel so rotten.I didn't want but think i need to go to the doctor...what a why to spend the few days doug is home...sick. We were to go to dinner(belated v-day) but no babysitter(girls again) until sunday when they aren't busy. Not how i was hoping to spend my weekend.

Old 02-16-2007, 02:34 PM   #1032
Executive Chef

BabyHuggies, I don't mean to kick you when you're sick and down but.....

imho you need to take control. You need some rest to help your immune system catch up. Heck with the teenage attitude - her job is to shovel the driveway. Maybe some friends will help her.

I'm sure she's able to make a breakfast/lunch/dinner with some instruction from you (in bed!). You will be no good to anyone if you're sickly and weak. Take some time for yourself. Bejeezus, you're sick.

Can't the teen babysit? Maybe she needs to shoulder some more responsibility. If she helps out, perhaps it's the time to lighten up on a restriction. Maybe let her stay out a 1/2 hr or hour later on the weekend.

Old 02-17-2007, 10:53 AM   #1033
Hospitality Queen

urmaniac & sizz - before these people even give you a bid, make them show you all their credentials!!! I'm not sure what they have in Italy, but as for you, sizz, make sure they are licensed, bonded and insured and that their workman's comp is up to date. This will save you the possibility of a lawsuit!
I got lucky finding my glass guy. I went through an online service (it's the same one I used when I had my palm trees removed) that pre-screens contractors. You can also see what other people have said about their work.

babyhuggies, Jan's right - you need rest, girl! Sometimes teenagers really can be a bit, well, lazy, but tell her you really need her help and thank her in advance for doing it. BTW, by your photo, I'd have guessed you at being young enough to only having tiny tots!
Old 02-17-2007, 11:33 AM   #1034
Master Chef

Thanks for the tip jkath.....I just assumed they were already checked out by the company that hired them out but will check myself.

Urmaniac......this is our 3rd house that we've completely remodeled.....we'll this one is still a work in project. This one is the most work because it involves more rooms. It'll take us at least 5 years to complete but when we purchased it we planned for this to be the last home we ever owned but I'm shamlessly admitting we're now considering selling it when we're done . We made almost double our investment in the last home and would do the same with this one too. Thankfully DH and I love to remodel homes.....its so much fun to make it your own. No matter there are things we've bought in this home that I'll encorporate in any future home if thats the case. I highly recommend granite countertops and sinks....love love love them. Totally would not recommend laminate floors though....spend the extra and get the real thing.

Ok.....back to the topic

BabyHuggies.......sounds like you've got a bacterial infection since its not giving up on you and you really do need an antibiotic to get rid of it. In the meantime if you have orange juice start chugging it ..... that is if your not a diabetic. Hope you feel better soon.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:37 PM   #1035
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to babyhuggies
thank you all for the"tips" I did see a doctor this evening and he told me that my chest is clear it may be somesort of infection on its own or one that triggers my athma--his advice wait it out.....Big help that was
so i bought some extra strength cold stuff and have my puffer.If i don't feel better in the next few days I'll go back...
As for the teens my BF had a little chat with them about helping me when they are at home while he is gone.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:56 AM   #1036
Head Chef

Be careful using your puffer, babyhuggies. I'd ask the doctor about that. If you have got an infection, using your puffer can send it into areas it hasn't yet reached.

If you haven't got an infection, might it be stress related? Or perhaps some kind of allergy?

I too have asthma and one year I thought it was very bad. Turned out we had a small patch of damp in the flat that had some mould. In the end, my coughing was only indirectly the asthma because I was allergic to the mould spores.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:06 AM   #1037
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop Puss
Be careful using your puffer, babyhuggies. I'd ask the doctor about that. If you have got an infection, using your puffer can send it into areas it hasn't yet reached.

If you haven't got an infection, might it be stress related? Or perhaps some kind of allergy?
I didn't know that about puffers! Thanks for the info.

I know my asthma acts up when I am stressed out and if I'm sick or frustrated, it can really get bad.

Babyhuggies, are the teens your BF's kids?
Old 02-18-2007, 10:32 AM   #1038
Head Chef

Half Baked, always ask your doctor for advice about this. Asthma is a terrible disease to have. I'm fortunate in that mine is only mild, my dad's is terrible, and I have a friend whose daughter is currently in intensive care following a major attack. I almost didn't post my comment because only a doctor will be able to say for sure what you should do. It's one of those conditions that you get so used to, you get blasé about it. But you do have to be careful.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:17 PM   #1039
Executive Chef

Definately I'll ask my doc. I'm very careful since I've been in intensive care many times myself. Not breathing is exhausting, horrible and painful.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:27 PM   #1040
Sous Chef

http://I have only just 'discovered' this thread.
I'm so sorry you've all had such a stressful time and hope things take an upturn soon for all of you.
Do you have 'positive' as well as 'negative' vents?
If so here's one.
Our daughter emailed me today to tell me that she's booking me into a hotel for 2 nights next week. It's very near to the hospital my husband will be in for 5 to 10 days from Wed. when he has his op. I am overwhelmed at her thoughtfulness as she knows I'm not a 'natural' city driver and she wanted me to have 2 days off from the 1 hour drive each way. That, despite the fact that she is a single parent and has more than enough on her plate. It has really warmed my heart and it will be wonderful not having to do the drive for those 2 days.