"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 07:19 PM   #1051
Executive Chef

Kadesma, I haven't been completely forthcoming. The situation is much deeper than I ever imagined.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:21 PM   #1052
Executive Chef

Nevermind. Let's drop it, shall we?

Old 02-19-2007, 07:33 PM   #1053
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal
Sure, not a problem..Take care of youself..

kadesma
Old 02-20-2007, 02:10 AM   #1054
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal
You drop it, we've caught it and will keep you in our thoughts so you are in a safety net
Old 02-20-2007, 10:08 AM   #1055
Master Chef

DampC....I pm'd you. Keep in mind if you ever need to talk just give me a shout. Take care of yourself.....we're all here for you.....we want to help if you'll let us.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:27 AM   #1056
Head Chef

A silly, self induce head against a brickwall moment. I am staying with a friend this weekend, and planned to take her a cake. She is difficult to cook for because of food allergies but my usual lemon/almond cake seems alright, and in any case her husband can eat it. Annoyingly I don't have scales here so spent ages googling cup/g conversions for differnt ingrediants, except the butter, which was exactly half a pack. I just went to check it and it was swimming in butter and turning into abiscuit....I looked around and realise I have thrown in the whole pack of butter insteaad of half. I'm kicking myself. I'll have to go out for more stuff now, and wasted perfectly good food. :(
Old 02-21-2007, 10:30 AM   #1057
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to Katalyst
So sorry, Lulu! Sounds close to the makings for shortbread though. Best of luck with the re-do!
Old 02-21-2007, 10:37 AM   #1058
Master Chef

I'm sorry also Lulu....I know how frustrating that can be.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:20 AM   #1059
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to Katalyst
MIL for sale!

Grrrr, sometimes, with me, anyway, it's not the little things so much as it is ALL the little things that build up. I know it's not healthy for me or the rest of the household, and I am trying to get a grip. MIL is constantly rearranging my stuff in the kitchen, knowing full well I don't like it. I've told her I keep things where I do for reasons.
Yesterday, unloading the dishwasher, I noticed my toy drawer looked off. Then it hits me, my dry-measuring cups are gone. So I go hunting. I find them in the drawer that she had asked me to reserve as "her" drawer only. She'd not just put them there, but buried them under her rolling pin, mandoline (ouch!) and her set of nasty old plastic measuring cups. Alongside my immersion blender she insisted was hers. Mind you, she has three sets of measuring cups and does not need mine. I don't use hers because she doesn't keep things clean. I find things of mine weekly that have magically made their way into "her"drawer. The blender, my wire whisks, cookie scoops, dough scrapers, etc. You name it, she claims it. Despite the fact that some of my things have my initials etched in from when I'd take things to work with me. And she already has more than one of everything she takes from me.
DH wants me to be nice about it, insisting that she means well. I disagree, because she knows full well what she's doing and I've made clear to her that I put things in certain places because I blind-reach for things as I work and expect them to be there. She likes to think of herself as a gourmet cook and owns 100s of cookbooks and more toys than she'll ever use, taking up about 75% of the cupboards in the kitchen of my house. But she rarely cooks. I told DH I tolerate her domination of the cupboard space on the condition that MY stuff be left where I put it.
She self-medicates, booze, pills, etc. I've had to put key locks on my bedroom door and my home office so she stays out of my papers and my medicine cabinet. I'm getting close to doing the same with the kitchen.
Gosh, did I ramble, and I am sorry. This looks petty, I know. It's actually the tip of a complicated iceberg. The kitchen is just too close to my heart. Thanks for listening, to those of you that have read this far. I do feel better just for having gotten this out.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:35 AM   #1060
Head Chef

I so feel your pain,and I bet I'd have fun swapping in law stories with you! Unfortunately things with my in laws are at a low right now, and I no longer have to live with them, which is great, but when I see caller id I still flinch, so I know how you feel.

I used to have a whole load of coping mechanisms for that reach for the drawer/cupboard and its gone moment....sort of personal rewards that me and DH planned, like, if X happened and I did not react to it he would bring me a glass of wine in the bath, or I'd get a back rub or something. Vice versa. It doesn't stop the annoying behaviour and the light behind your eyes still flashes when x happens, but you need to know there is something positive, because you have to have a long term sanity preservation technique!