"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 09:10 AM   #1081
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to Katalyst
Catfish

Note to self: Go try catfish in KY and MS. And anywhere else! Found a wonderful little restaurant passing through Lexington, KY, (no catfish though) and made it a point to stop there again on my next cross-country drive.

Hmmm, benchmarks. Well, I'm not too picky, but a nice cornmeal-based breading, lightly seasoned. Last night's was fresh, wonderfully seasoned, not too heavy on the salt. I like to taste the fish. Fried golden-crisp, large fillet, piping hot inside and just done. At home if I pan-fry, I use higher ratio of cornmeal-to-flour. Bacon grease for a treat if I have it. My family thinks I'm strange - I don't use tartar sauce. Kind of a purist that way, it's the fish I want. But I have a weakness for remoulade, so if it's there, I'm dippin'!

It's good to get back in the area. We spent 3 years in Idaho, where they consider catfish to be trash fish. Bottom-feeders. hmmph, so are lobsters and crabs.... I love the south!!!

Old 02-23-2007, 11:16 AM   #1082
Everymom

Think I have strep throat. Ick. Just waiting for the Dr's office to open so I can go and find out for sure.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:44 PM   #1083
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Take care Alix. Strep is no fun at all.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:40 PM   #1084
Everymom

Nope, it sure isn't. The Dr mentioned I probably picked it up in the hospital when I took Mom in this week. Stupid hospitals! LOL.

I got some antibiotics (the really expensive ones since I'm allergic to the other two cheaper varieties!) and a truly wonderful gargle thing to numb the pain in my throat. I can swallow without pain now! WOOHOO!

Hey, I'm going over to Celebrations now.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:23 PM   #1085
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Oh no Alix, just as a weekend arrives, so does strep throat, isn't it ironic, don't you think!!
Take care and hope it will pass soon!!
Old 02-23-2007, 07:35 PM   #1086
Hospitality Queen

Alix, I think Ken needs to go to the local ice cream store and buy you a big hand-packed tub of your favorite flavor. It's for your health after all
Old 02-24-2007, 02:08 PM   #1087
Everymom

Thanks guys. I think maybe I WILL send him to get me ice cream. The sad part is, the tub might not ever make it home!
Old 02-25-2007, 10:57 AM   #1088
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to Katalyst
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Thanks guys. I think maybe I WILL send him to get me ice cream. The sad part is, the tub might not ever make it home!
I see only one solution to that problem... TWO tubs! If some is good, more is better! Yummmm
Old 02-25-2007, 07:19 PM   #1089
Everymom

I like the way you think Katalyst! LOL.

Thanks again for all the support you guys, I'm on the road to recovery. I still hurt, but if I keep up with the ibuprofen regularly its manageable.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:30 PM   #1090
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I'm glad you are starting to feel better Alix. I have been dealing with bronchitis, but I would take that over strep any day!

Barbara