Old Venting Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
YEEOUCH! I lopped the tip of my thumb off a few years ago when I was slicing a tomato. I didn't realize it until I felt that itchy-tingly sensation, looked down and saw blood dripping all over the cutting board. I wrapped my thumb in a wet paper towel, bandaged it and strangled it to death! After the bleeding stopped, everything was all good until I touched something. Nerve endings are apparently exposed at a severed fingertip and the pain even makes you're teeth hurt! Sheez! OUCH! Sorry, Mud!

mudbug said:
Sliced my finger doing potatoes with my Oxo peeler - right on the very tip, where it's hard to keep a bandaid on. I've got two on now and altho the dripping has stopped, I just know it'll turn into a gusher if I take them off.

Ouch!!

Been there, done that!! 5 stiches in a pinkie finger! Although the offending instrument was a chef's knife.

Hope you heal up soon!

Happy New Year!

John

jkath said:
my house keeps being invaded by troops of stupid ants. Yes, I know ants are smart little things, but these beasties bypass the sugar and go straight for the bathrooms and closets!
Different types of ants go for different things. In the town I lived in before this one (but still in SC), they had what everyone called Sugar Ants. They were the tiniest little ants I have ever seen. In Vista (a couple hours south of you) we were plagued now and then with Argentine Ants. They are not sugar eaters, but they love anything with fat. They would go right for the loaf of bread (they got into the closed package) and dog and cat food. We get them here now and then too, but the ones I really hate are all over our front and back yard--Fire Ants. In case you are wondering why they are called Fire Ants, it isn't because they are red. Stand still too long in the wrong spot (they make visible mounds, but when you're talking to someone, you don't always think to look down), and your leg will feel like it is on fire. I've had it happen to me twice. Once was at a friend's house. I had to run into her bathroom, rip my clothes off, and wash the ants off in the tub. Then, a few months ago (they are active in the hot months), James, a friend of ours, and I had gone out for lunch. When she dropped us off, I stood next to the car chatting with her. They must have thought I was nuts because all of the sudden I just stopped talking mid-sentence and ran into the house as fast as I could (clothes, tub, etc.). Ouch! I did a research paper on ants in college--they are actually very fascinating creatures. I just don't want them anywhere near me!

:) Barbara

I think ours are more the "got nothin' to do, so I'll wander around the house" ants.
Actually, ant man says that before our house was sold, it looks like the other owners must've sprayed only the outside of the house, thus trapping the little suckers inside the walls. We get dozens of dead bodies in the bathrooms, because he's sprayed inside. They wander in, get sick and die all over the rugs. It's lovely to see first thing in the morning.

ggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Neighbors! The ones behind me, need a lesson on the proper use of a car horn. They are for emergencies while driving, such as, stop yakking on your cell phone in the middle of the street or I will plow you over (I might go demonstrate the plowing over scenario for them), or, $%$^% hello, do you NOT notice the %&$%&^ backing lights?!?! However, they are not for summoning your drunken homies out of the house at 3 am so you can go imbibe every drop of alcohol you can between vomitings and getting $^&$-ed up! My gripe is, I am sleepy, because that happened like 4 times last night, one to the beat of 50 cent Candy Shop.

Then, I try to take a nap, and the neighbors on the other side, do not seem to know what inside voices are, because you can hear their voices from inside their house, outside, AND inside MY HOUSE! Yes, I am cranky!

Thanks for all the concern for my stupid little finger (it's the one that you use for "salutes"). No dripping/gushing today, thank goodness. Just a little sore, and nothing that won't heal soon.

shannon, I'm sorry about your neighbors. I hope these are the soon-to-be-former neighbors, and that your new house is surrounded by nice ones like ours is.

jkath - welcome back, sistah, and nuke those ants!

actually, the Tomato-Slicing Incident reminds me of the time I cut my finger while I was slicing a bagel.

I was a teenager (this was a year or two or three before the Deli Slicer Affair), and therefore none too bright. I was also in a hurry to eat, so I held the bagel in my left hand, while slicing it with my right. What I didn't realize until just a LITTLE too late was that the tip of my left hand ring-finger was in the hole of the bagel. I sliced it (my finger that is) real good, right across the tip. I suspected it would need stitches, maybe two or three, but I was a bit too ashamed to tell my folks what I'd done! I simply used several ordinary Band-Aids, to kind of "butterfly" things together.

When Mom or Dad asked what I'd done to my finger, I just casually told them I'd nicked it while slicing a bagel :angel: (more-or-less true).

It healed up just fine, but to this day my fingerprint on that finger has a tiny little offset in it. The little ridges never aligned quite right.

--J

PS...ever since, bagels get sliced ON THE BOARD :shock:

mudbug said:
jkath - welcome back, sistah, and nuke those ants!

Glad to be back! I've missed it here so much, and hated to be away.

Shannon, I wouldn't know fifty cent if it bit me in my tushie. You could always bake them some homemade brownies, being the nice lady neighbor. I won't tell them you've added ex-lax to the mix.

Man! We were playing baseball and got a nice skinned knee. In addition to my middle toenail that broke off.

Cameron

jkath said:
Shannon, I wouldn't know fifty cent if it bit me in my tushie. You could always bake them some homemade brownies, being the nice lady neighbor. I won't tell them you've added ex-lax to the mix.

mmwwwuuuhhaaaahhhaaaa!
drevil.gif
Wonderful idea!!! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Shannon to innocent angel daughter: "Pray tell, daughter o' mine, what loving in-law gave you this wondrous noisemaker keyboard for Christmas... the one with 2,000 acommpaniments and 48 drum beats and 100 other fascinating sounds, that can play all at the same time, and EVEN let you play along with it too? OH, and look it doesn't need those batteries that go bad too soon either, it plugs right into the wall!" (phone in one hand and car keys/baseball bat in another) :wacko:

shannon in KS said:
Shannon to innocent angel daughter: "Pray tell, daughter o' mine, what loving in-law gave you this wondrous noisemaker keyboard for Christmas... the one with 2,000 acommpaniments and 48 drum beats and 100 other fascinating sounds, that can play all at the same time, and EVEN let you play along with it too? OH, and look it doesn't need those batteries that go bad too soon either, it plugs right into the wall!" (phone in one hand and car keys/baseball bat in another) :wacko:
your daughter got that one did she?:LOL: Cade, got, microphone,piano,giutar, all plug in and play to rhythm and music and they have a volume knob!!! Dear Pa my DH picked up this little goodie on his own. No I just need to make sure of the pay back, wonder if 3 hours of baby sitting while Cade and Ethan jam for him would do the trick?:ROFLMAO: ..Earplugs mommy?

kadesma, :huh:

MEN! ok... not men just my husband. You guys all know I love him more than anything in this world but right now.. I have to tell you how mad I am at him.

We've had tickets to this play for about three weeks. We've been talking about it and both of us ( I thought) were really excited about it. He wrote me email this morning all happy because we "have a date tonight" We talked about how we were going to meet at the theatre at 6:45, play starts at 7:00pm. I just wrote to remind him to leave work early .. and all of a sudden... he doesn't want to leave work EARLY to see this play. He say's that he's just had so much on his mind lately that he didn't realize that it started at 7. Most of our plays do start at 8.. but we've talked about this one being early more than once. He just hasn't been listening to me lately. It's really starting to bug me.

VENT
VENT
VENT! Thanks for listening. Sorry..

Go ahead, VENT!!! I know the listening thing well...Mine did the same thing last night, I start to say something and he, interupts with his version ofwhat the rest of the question is..And he was WRONG!!! Or, I'll tell him something and he nods and the next day, looks at me like I have 2 heads when I say, let's go or here is the message, It's like what are you talking about!! Since I tend to blow a gasket, and I don't like doing that, I just walk away and get deathly guiet and stay that way til I get over my mad..Right now, your feelings are hurt and so is your pride and you just want to give him a good swift kick in the britches..If you really want to vent go outside find a small tree and kick the daylights out of it..Then when Mr. Mr.gets home you'll be past the worst of it..Then when you've both cooled off, have a sit down and a long talk about listening and respecting what each of you has to say...We all know how much Paul means to you, and I know, you must be the apple of his eye..Why fight if you don't really have to..We do NOT like to see our Pds, upset and hurting...

hugs girl, it will be okay.

kadesma:)

goodness... now for some reason that made me cry Kadesma. I think I may be an emotional mess today!

He won't be home until 9:30 or 10:00... and I may be home later than that. After the play there's a reception and a "talk back" with the actors and the directors. I hate doing things on my own but... coming home later is prbly a good idea. It'll give me more time to simmer down. Thanks Kadesma. YOU always know the right thing to say. We'll have a long talk when we both get home.

smiles, T

kadesma said:
Go ahead, VENT!!! I know the listening thing well...Mine did the same thing last night, I start to say something and he, interupts with his version of what the rest of the question is..And he was WRONG!!! Or, I'll tell him something and he nods and the next day, looks at me like I have 2 heads when I say, let's go or here is the message, It's like what are you talking about!!
Oh my gosh! Are you married to James too?!!!:ohmy:
kadesma said:
Since I tend to blow a gasket, and I don't like doing that, I just walk away and get deathly quiet and stay that way til I get over my mad.
And is your husband married to me?!!!:angel:

:) Barbara

ok, i gotta vent. how the heck can my wife expect me to remember everything, listen to everyting (when there's just so much in both volume and volume), plan for everything, protect and provide for everything, make sure the family is well fed, clothed, housed (it's not as easy as it looks), that the future is bright, that everyone is freakin happy at all times, ev-er-ee freakin minute of ev-er-ee day, and never be expected to have any shortcomings, any weaknesses or failures? i ask you... :-p

(ok, let's keep it clean ladies. pm me to tel me to *@#%^ off)

Last edited:
We all need to plan a vacation together, where we can just vent and eat...vent and eat....vent and eat...oh! and drink. I vote Vegas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom